• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SMTN

Lilly Belle

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Green
We were trying to sell our timeshare and paid SMTN $1800.00 up front. Are they a legal company. Or have we been had.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
They are a legal company but you've been had. All you paid for was a listing on their website - which they will provide. Unfortunately it is probably listed at a grossly inflated price at which it will never sell.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I've been looking for a certain resale for a couple years now, and monitoring websites.
SMTN has many, many listings where the price is so high, it's laughable. I've see dozens of overpriced listings sitting on their site for over 2 years now. Like listing a 2BR offseason timeshare for $20,000 when it can be easily gotten for free on TUG or Ebay.
If you can get your $1800 back, I would highly advise it. Then do some research on TUG to see if it has any value.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were trying to sell our timeshare and paid SMTN $1800.00 up front.

When did you pay them? Out of curiosity, who suggested the selling price? Was it you or someone from SMTN? How did you come to know of this company? Did they contact you or did you Google something along the lines of Sell Timeshare and then found SMTN?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
We were trying to sell our timeshare and paid SMTN $1800.00 up front. Are they a legal company. Or have we been had.
They are a legal company but you've been had. All you paid for was a listing on their website - which they will provide. Unfortunately it is probably listed at a grossly inflated price at which it will never sell.
I've been looking for a certain resale for a couple years now, and monitoring websites.
SMTN has many, many listings where the price is so high, it's laughable. I've see dozens of overpriced listings sitting on their site for over 2 years now. Like listing a 2BR offseason timeshare for $20,000 when it can be easily gotten for free on TUG or Ebay.
If you can get your $1800 back, I would highly advise it. Then do some research on TUG to see if it has any value.

I have purchased through SMTN....at eBay prices. Don’t be scared off of theridiculous price when contacting for information. in terms of listing theTS andpaying 1800 upfront, that’s insanity. Get your money back if you can. They charge a ridiculous closing fee for “their fees” to the seller so.

mattyfine

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayfair
I have been asked by a client to try and sell his timeshare in Mayfair. I am an estate agent in London and telephoned a number of these so called time share selling agents, they all wanted an up front fee which I found unsettling. We have an online only estate agent in the UK that charges upfront and they sale approx 50% of the properties they take on so a big gamble. The only one who gave me what I would call competent advise gave me a realistic value but also wanted an up front payment, what incentive is there for them to sell your property when you have already paid them. I am now listing it on Ebay and this forum, hopefully it will get some response. In my opinion you should NEVER pay a fee in advance for selling a property and there is no incentive for the company to actually sell,m they have your money what do they care!!!

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
get your money back if you can. They are a legit company (we bought through them our first TS) but as close to a scam as you can get when you are a seller given the actual value of their service.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
they all wanted an up front fee which I found unsettling....what incentive is there for them to sell your property when you have already paid them....In my opinion you should NEVER pay a fee in advance for selling a property and there is no incentive for the company to actually sell,m they have your money what do they care!

That is the exact advice we give here on TUG repeatedly.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Google SMTN and see what you get. C+ rating on BBB and a warning about their business practices. What's not to love?