• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sighting

retailman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find it strange that the sighting board has 90 per cent II sightings. It is not
just today but all the time. Does this mean I am with the wrong exchange
company? Is RCI pulling all the good weeks?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since it is TUGgers who post the sightings, maybe there are just more II/TUG members looking than RCI members. Or maybe RCI owners bought their intervals to USE rather than buying a unit with cheap MF with the intention to exchange- as I've seen advocated in the various hotel based forums. Maybe some of each- as well as other reasons.

Jim

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recall this question being asked before and the answer was ultimately that it is more effort to post the RCI sightings based on the way RCI returns its results. I dont have II but all those sightings sure make me wish I did:p

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like II better

We belong to both services but vastly enjoy II more - and I do contribute to II postings as their website is easy to use. Funtime

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would say the sightings forum has more like 95% II. Almost everything on the first page is II now. I think the difference is in how the two systems differ. I believe in RCI anyone can see everything that is available by just clicking a button. Things are no longer hidden by a vial of secrecy. With II, trade power is still a mystery and everyone can't see everything available.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
think of how bad it would be if DVC were still with II... ;)

bobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is true you can easily find RCI availability, but sightings are still valuable if someone bumps into something good and posts. First of all, I come to TUG sightings board first daily, just to see what is up. I rarely look at RCI as a browser, only when I have a specific trip being planned. Also, there may be an RCI trade not showing with my points, but I could combine if I wanted to get that week. Looking at everything available on RCI takes too much time. I have better things to do, such as move on to TUG's lounge, then the TUG travel, etc.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have better things to do, such as move on to TUG's lounge, then the TUG travel, etc.

Just click the 'New Posts' button in the blue stripe above. You get to be nosy over the whole BBS. :)

Jim

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect that most people here use RCI more, but that there are several factors that make II sightings more common:

1) II generally has higher quality resorts, so there is more "good" selection that pops up.

2) RCI is a bit more predictable and easier to search, so there's less "need" to post RCI sightings. You can easily set up saved searches and ongoing searches to see/catch things you want.

3) Also, RCI deposits are generally made WELL in advance and often as bulk deposits. With II, it seems like many of the deposits are about 60-90 days out, and a good deposit that close in is a worthwhile sighting.

That's just my guess, though. I could be wrong.