• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

siesta key questions

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
we are staying at the calini 5/27 to 6/03

what things besides the beach are fun for kids to do ?

kids 10,9,6

what is a good kid friendly restaurant ?
what is a good date night seafood place ?

what other beaches in the area should we see beside the one closest to the resort.

deep sea fishing charters.
2 dads dad and maybe 10 year old boy only

where is the best place to leave from Sarasota, Tampa or somewhere father south.

we have fished for kings, grouper,and snapper in Destin . What do they go after down here

which port will get is to the fish faster and cheaper.

any recommendation on boats or captains

we will be leaving siesta key and going to Marco island on 6/03 should we wait on go from there

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Let me know how you like it. The beach is supposed to be nicer than Marco.

Our favorite Florida seafood restaurant is Shells.

HOLMES BEACH Shells
3200 EAST BAY DR.
HOLMES BEACH, FL 34217
Phone: 941-778-5997
Fax: 941-778-7593

SARASOTA Shells
7253 S. TAMIAMI TRAIL
SARASOTA, FL 34231
Phone: 941-924-2568
Fax: 941-925-2458

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sand at Siesta Key is like no other. It's a great walking beach because the sand compacts and is easy on the feet. The sand is like powder. When we went red tide run us out of there but we are looking forward to going next year and visiting the beach.
Here's a fun link to the beaches of Florida's Southwest
http://bestbeaches.org/

I would think your kids would like looking for shark teeth at Venice beach.
We love Longboat and all areas up north to Anna Marie Island.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
maddaug said:
The sand at Siesta Key is like no other. It's a great walking beach because the sand compacts and is easy on the feet. The sand is like powder. When we went red tide run us out of there but we are looking forward to going next year and visiting the beach.
Here's a fun link to the beaches of Florida's Southwest
http://bestbeaches.org/

I would think your kids would like looking for shark teeth at Venice beach.
We love Longboat and all areas up north to Anna Marie Island.[/QUOTE

thanks great link

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The best thing about Siesta Beach is NO RED TIDE since last November!!

The water is now 82 degrees, we had 3/4 inch of rain this am (first since the end of Feb.), and we saw a manatee twice this week just a few feet beyond people standingin shoulder deep water!!

Take your children to the Mote Marine Aquarium and then go out on the boat tour. You will see and learn about all sorts of our animals and sea life.

Try the clam chowder at Capt. Curt's across Midnight Pass Rd from Calini. Turtle's Restaurant on the south end of the key (near my home!) is a good restaurant, as is Phillipi Creek Oyster Bar on the corner of US 41 and Phillipi Creek slightly north and east of Calini on the Mainland.

P.S. Take kids to Turtle beach and search along the shoe heading north for small shark teeth.

We have used a fishing Charter out of the marina in down town Sarasota near Marina Jack's, but I can't remember the name. Ask Brian at Calini (he does the Monday continental breakfast) for a recommendation, and tell him Sherry sent you!

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
JJ try this link with a map. Crescent Beach is very nice,sand is not hot at all. We enjoyed Columbia Restaurant on St Armands Circle for lunch and sat at the patio tables outside. Spanish decor.

Bring your chairs to Crescent Beach for the evening toast to the sunset,it is quite beautiful.

Read my review from 2004 Umbrella Beach Club. Lots of inexpensive very casual places to eat around Anna Maria like Rod N Reel and the Pier. Peaches for a great breakfast menu and service,very clean.

In Venice on the main street there is a old fashioned ice cream parlor that serves meals from the 50's fizzes from the soda fountain,original decor. The beach nearby is supposed to have lots of sharks teeth.

http://www.floridasecrets.com/Restaurants/SW/Soda.htm
http://www.2fla.com/island_restaurant_guide.htm

Last edited:

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SherryS said:
The best thing about Siesta Beach is NO RED TIDE since last November!!

I was worried about red tide. I have never seen it before until last October. very nasty stuff. we had it in panama city. whats the outlook for 5/27 to 6/03 how fast does it come up and when. i was hoping that may/June would be too early.

I have 7 days at calini and then 5 day on Marco. I was trying to decide where to go for my last two days. i was thinking about the east coat just in case the wets coast got red tide. that way i end the trip with a clean beach. but west coast would be better because we are flying out of Tampa.

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
According to our local news, red tide is always out in the gulf. It's a matter of what makes it "bloom" and multiply. Then the winds and current blows it inland. Speculation is that the nutrients in fertilizer might affect this.

No prediction that red tide is blooming, or increasing, or evident anywhere on the west coast. Enjoy your trip! We head for Michigan in one week!

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned