• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I enroll??

Skonie

Reaction score
I have read the FAQ's, read the threads I can find on the subject but the enrolling thing still confuses me so I need a straight up answer.
We own two weeks gold at OceanWatch. We come here every year and have never traded. Eventually we would like to trade one week to a different Marriott. Is there any use to pay the $2395 to enroll our week to points? Our other week we bought after the 2010 deadline on resale market so they say that is ineligible. We would only trade to other Marriott so don't think we need the flexibility of points. Any ideas?
Skonie

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Do you think you would ever want to take two shorter trips to Marriott timeshares instead of one 7 day trip? That's an advantage of points.

Do you think you would ever want to travel to a high demand Marriott location in prime time - a place where a Gold Ocean Watch might be a difficult II trade? With points you can combine points from multiple years or rent points to add to your owned points to grab those higher seasons, better views, or high demand locations.

Would you ever want to stretch your 7 day week into a longer vacation? With points you can rent extra points to add days onto your trip, or often by traveling in a lower season or accepting a lesser view, the points from your week ownership can be stretched into longer trips. Our 3375 points that we get from a minimal trust ownership plus one silver week at Hilton Head Marriott Barony Beach Club are enough to book two summer weeks or three fall weeks at Marriott's Harbour Point in Hilton Head. (And in both cases we would have enough points left over for another three or four day long weekend.)

The upcoming trips I show in my signature are examples of what can be done with two years worth of our points, plus a small point rental - two short trips to Hilton Head and a high season week in an oceanfront two bedroom unit at Maui Ocean Club.

So it all depends on what you want to do with your week. The advantage of points is flexibility - and maybe easier access to high demand Marriott locations/times - but if those things aren't important to you, then enrollment may not make sense. But if the flexibility of points is something you might benefit from, the $2395 cost is well worth it, in my opinion.

Edit: And remember, enrolling your week doesn't mean you have to use points every year. You can still use your owned week at Ocean Watch as you always have, or trade week-for-week through II. Enrolling just adds the option to use points.

Last edited:

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have read the FAQ's, read the threads I can find on the subject but the enrolling thing still confuses me so I need a straight up answer.
We own two weeks gold at OceanWatch. We come here every year and have never traded. Eventually we would like to trade one week to a different Marriott. Is there any use to pay the $2395 to enroll our week to points? Our other week we bought after the 2010 deadline on resale market so they say that is ineligible. We would only trade to other Marriott so don't think we need the flexibility of points. Any ideas?
Skonie

Stricktly based on your usage and my opinion I say no.
1. You mostly use your weeks.
2. You will still have to maintain two II accounts
3. Gold OW weeks should be decent traders for future travel changes. (Maybe you could run a test one time to help demonstrate this.)
The big advantage for enrolling your weeks (IMHO) would be if you could enroll all three weeks and enjoy reduced fees if and when you begin trading.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
If you have a few bucks in your pocket and you like what the DC offers (as laid out by JIMinNC), they actually have a deal now that if you purchase 2500 Trust points, you can enroll a post 6/20/10 resale week (for a limited time...see ongoing post about it). You might inquire if you could somehow wrap everything into one package whereby you purchase the 2500 Trust points, they enroll all your weeks (pre and post 2010) for free. Its worth asking.....

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Another reason to enroll is if you might like to travel in off season to a seasonal resort like OceanWatch, Hilton Head or the ski resorts. You can get a lot of time for not many points in those cases, much more than you can by trading your non-lockoff weeks through II. I don't know how many points your Gold OW week is worth, which would be critical information to have in making this decision.

Last edited:

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another reason to enroll is if you might like to travel in off season to a seasonal resort like OceanWatch, Hilton Head or the ski resorts. You can get a lot of time for not many points in those cases, much more than you can by trading your non-lockoff weeks through II. I don't know how many points your Gold OW week is worth, which would be critical information to have in making this decision.

+1. This is exactly where I find great value in the DVC. My Sabal Palms is not a lock-off but using points does accomplish "nearly" the same thing when traveling in shoulder or off seasons. (And at 2100 DVC points it's not a big point generator) BUT again, I was lucky enough to able to enroll all three weeks.

Last edited:

rpw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ko Olina, Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
I'm not positive I agree with this?

For "off season" travel, I usually use the Interval Getaways. They are usually pretty dirt cheap, and you only pay when you need them. As opposed to an annual maintenance fee on points. I think they actually sell short stays also, but we always end up purchasing full weeks even if we only use a few days (which is pretty rare).

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
For "off season" travel, I usually use the Interval Getaways. They are usually pretty dirt cheap, and you only pay when you need them. As opposed to an annual maintenance fee on points. I think they actually sell short stays also, but we always end up purchasing full weeks even if we only use a few days (which is pretty rare).

MF's on Trust Points are paid only by the folks who purchase Trust Points (because enrollment is not a permanent exchange of Weeks for Trust Points.) Owners of enrolled Weeks pay MF's on the Weeks along with the annual Club Dues fee, and not on the amount of Points for which the enrolled Weeks can be exchanged.

I agree with Boca that using DC Points from enrolled Weeks for off-season stays returns much more usage value than what's available from II. There's usually off-season availability closer to the check-in days which means the "Discounts for last-minute DC Points stays" (see the TUG Points FAQ) can be implemented to reduce the Points cost even further than the low off-season requirements.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

I looked at II Getaways for Hilton Head to test the theory on Points vs Getaways, the only dates I could see available for Marriotts in the II Getaway system were early December through the end of February. I looked at the off-beach Harbour Point/Sunset Pointe properties and Barony, Grande Ocean, SurfWatch, and Monarch. Here is what it would take in DC Points for a week and the MF cost based on the proposed 2016 MF cost for Trust points of $0.5025 compared to the Getaway costs (an enrolled owner with a lower MF/point cost would look even better):

Harbour Point/Sunset Pointe - 400-675 points @ $201 - $339; Getaways @ $547-$1147

Barony Beach Club/Grande Ocean/Monarch/SurfWatch - 550-2450 points @ $276 - $1231; Getaways @ $597-$1197

The highest DC point requirement Barony/Grande Ocean/Monarch/Surfwatch weeks (2050-2450 points) are for OS/OF in February; not sure if you would get OF with a Getaway, but maybe you would in off-season. The January points costs for Barony/GO/Monarch/SurfWatch would all be less than $600, even for OF. The highest priced Getaways are Christmas week. There is no DC point premium charged in Hilton Head for Christmas week.

So generally, off-season DC points MF costs in HHI are less than II Getaways - in some cases, less than half the cost of the Getaway.

In theory, our meager 3375 DC Points could get us 8 weeks at Harbour Point/Sunset Pointe in what is essentially Bronze Season, or 5 weeks in the Points equivalent of Silver Season. With Getaways, that would cost at least $4400 for the 8 weeks in Bronze or at least $3300 for the 5 weeks in Silver.

This doesn't address availability of Points reservations vs Getaways, and it may not be true for all time periods in all locations, but I think this confirms BocaBoy's general theory.

Last edited: