• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I Convert to Points - Need to know ASAP

webdizzy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have RCI points associated with a resort in TN, I have never called the resort to assign me a week for those points, they are in my RCI account & I just book what ever resort I want for the timeframe needed off the availability list.

I only had to do that with Interval. Not with RCI.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It sounds like it is similar to other points ownerships like bluegreen and wyndham where those with travelers plus or some such add on product usually obtained through a direct retail purchase can use their points or credits to book both RCI weeks and points inventory vs resale owners without the add on can only book rci weeks inventory.

As I said earlier your going to be kind of on your own figuring out a lot of things because your rci membership is not like anyone else's memberships except other Calypso Cay's rci memberships. Some of the rules and procedures may overlap but many don't so it will be harder to ask forum members for specific advice.

diwoj

Reaction score
I know this thread is over a year old but I stumbled across it last night after getting off of the phone with my home resort (Calypso Cay) rep who offered me a similar $4300 "deal" to convert my week to points. I read somewhere (maybe in this thread) that it might be possible to switch to a points program directly through RCI so I called RCI today but as soon as I gave them my account # I was immediately transferred to "dedicated guide" who was a Calypso Cay rep. Has anyone else encountered this? I have an RCI online account and it shows I have credits that can be used for Exchange Weeks but not for Extra Vacation or Last Call weeks. I also don't have any options for anything less that 7 nights. It seems to be some version of a points system? As much as I like the flexibility that a typical RCI points program offers (partial weeks and hotel stays), $4300 seems steep - especially since we only own a 1 br unit (ruby, week 15) in the odd years. Any suggestions or advice? Has anyone found a way around the pricey conversion?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions or advice? Has anyone found a way around the pricey conversion?

I haven't done this but many others on these boards would recommend giving away what you have and then buying a cheap resale (or even freebie) that is already converted to points. That will cost a lot less than $4300.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Calyso Cay
I also would love feedback on this. I got the call yesterday . they told me first it was close to 4000.00 and then the closer came on the line and said they could do it for 3200. I am so frustrated with my experience with Calypso Cay. we have been owners for 15 plus years. My three bedroom maintenance fees are about 1200 a year. we do no ever vacation at our home resort. I was told yesterday that if we sold or gave away the deed that if someone defaulted and didn't pay their fees we would be liable. I have put a call into my attorney to ask about this. I was on the phone with RCI when I read your post about them transferring you to Calypso Cay... I just hung up. i want to to see how real the "threat" is that if we stay with weeks that one day we will have no choices... what i was told yesterday. I am also seeking advice.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
as mentioned above, for 4300 dollars you could easily give away your existing ownership...and pick up literally ANY ownership already converted to points on the resale market...and likely have thousands leftover.

unless you transferred the ownership to another party who specifically intended to default on the payments, the resort has little to no recourse to come after you once the ownership transfer is complete.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I also would love feedback on this. I got the call yesterday . they told me first it was close to 4000.00 and then the closer came on the line and said they could do it for 3200. I am so frustrated with my experience with Calypso Cay. we have been owners for 15 plus years. My three bedroom maintenance fees are about 1200 a year. we do no ever vacation at our home resort. I was told yesterday that if we sold or gave away the deed that if someone defaulted and didn't pay their fees we would be liable. I have put a call into my attorney to ask about this. I was on the phone with RCI when I read your post about them transferring you to Calypso Cay... I just hung up. i want to to see how real the "threat" is that if we stay with weeks that one day we will have no choices... what i was told yesterday. I am also seeking advice.
I don't think they could hold you liable forever but if you transfer to someone who doesn't pay the first year they are responsible (like a viking ship LLC or a person that has agreed to take on multiple deeds for money but has no intention of actually taking ownership and every paying MF) they might try to reverse the transfer due to a fraudulent transfer. If on the other hand you transfer it to Mary Smith and she pays the first year (or many years) and then one day defaults on MF's they aren't going to be able to hold you accountable. I have heard of other developers saying the same thing and I don't think they can legally hold you responsible without proving some kind of fraudulent transfer.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Calyso Cay
There is for sure a difference... not what I was told by Calypso Cay in November 2016 , but yesterday they called me with the sales pitch to covert my credit to points saying that eventually the credits which is the same as week for week exchanges might go away because the industry is changing. I am so not interested in donating thousands to this process and am so frustrated. I was also told that if I gave my time share away and someone defaulted on the fees, I would be held liable. What? I have put a call into my attorney to clarify. What I want to know also is if the weeks system is going away? We were II and found it hard to get exchanges.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told yesterday that if we sold or gave away the deed that if someone defaulted and didn't pay their fees we would be liable.

I fail completely to see (or even begin to imagine) how a recorded deed transfer to a valid "grantee", duly recorded and subsequently accepted by the resort, could ever possibly boomerang back to you as the "grantor" in any way at any time for any reason. I believe that your attorney will offer you the same input.

If a transfer is made to a completely bogus "Viking Ship" entity however, that's a different kettle of fish. In that scenario you could be credibly (and justifiably) perceived as a participant in willful and deliberate fraud; it is certainly possible that the resort could pursue you in that scenario.

That said, if you own a deeded week, you cannot be forced to "convert' that ownership to points. If you're not interested in "points", just tell the sales weasels to go pound sand and ignore all of the song and dance routines about a "changing industry", or "points are the wave of the future" or other such marketing razzamatazz. If you own a deeded week there is nothing anyone can do to / with / about that indisputable fact. Don't let deceitful, parasitic sales weasels looking to make a quick buck at your expense convince you otherwise.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Calyso Cay
I do appreciate so much your thoughts. Thank you. My attorney said unless there is something in my original contract saying they could come after me and it is sold or given away and the deed is transferred I should be fine. He did suggest calling the Attorney General's office in Florida to ask if there is something specific or things I should be aware of there. I do not think we will transfer to points. Credits for now sound just fine. Thank you again.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Calyso Cay
I don't think they could hold you liable forever but if you transfer to someone who doesn't pay the first year they are responsible (like a viking ship LLC or a person that has agreed to take on multiple deeds for money but has no intention of actually taking ownership and every paying MF) they might try to reverse the transfer due to a fraudulent transfer. If on the other hand you transfer it to Mary Smith and she pays the first year (or many years) and then one day defaults on MF's they aren't going to be able to hold you accountable. I have heard of other developers saying the same thing and I don't think they can legally hold you responsible without proving some kind of fraudulent transfer.
Thank you I appreciate this. It makes sense to me.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Calyso Cay
I do appreciate so much your thoughts. Thank you. My attorney said unless there is something in my original contract saying they could come after me and it is sold or given away and the deed is transferred I should be fine. He did suggest calling the Attorney General's office in Florida to ask if there is something specific or things I should be aware of there. I do not think we will transfer to points. Credits for now sound just fine. Thank you again.
Oops I think I posted this in the wrong place. Sorry just learning.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Calyso Cay
I am posting this now in the reply section... sorry... I do appreciate so much your thoughts. Thank you. My attorney said unless there is something in my original contract saying they could come after me and it is sold or given away and the deed is transferred I should be fine. He did suggest calling the Attorney General's office in Florida to ask if there is something specific or things I should be aware of there. I do not think we will transfer to points. Credits for now sound just fine. Thank you again.