• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shortwave Radio

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
The hurricane season started June first and this year, I thought it would be a good idea to get a weather radio for emergencies.

I have always been interested in Shortwave radio also so I chose a radio that had both weather and Shortwave bands. I chose a portable, C. Crane Skywave SSB2.

The weather broadcast comes in nice and clear and is broadcast from Haleakala. I must admit, I am having a great time listening to the Shortwave broadcasts.

So far I have heard broadcasts from New Zealand, China, Japan and Korea. Surprisingly, many of these stations broadcast in English at times. The programs vary from current events, News and Music.

Here is a clip from a broadcast from Radio New Zealand International.

Screenshot_20240701_130627_Gallery.jpg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
This one is from China Radio International and broadcast in English.

Screenshot_20240701_001058_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This one is from Voice of China and in Chinese. Broadcast from Beijing.

Screenshot_20240701_001058_Chrome.jpg

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Jeff, you might find it interesting to listen to "ham" or amateur radio bands as well. The low frequency bands are single side band (SSB), but I see that your radio can handle that. There may be some local ham activity on "10 meters" (upper side band?) and international activity on the other ham bands (80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters). I suspect that if you google "Hawaii ham radio nets" that it may help.

During the San Diego 2003 and 2007 fires, I monitored (among other sources) some VHF ham bands and was able to get some first hand information regarding the fire fronts, evacuations, etc.

I've been a Ham radio operator since 1967.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff, you might find it interesting to listen to "ham" or amateur radio bands as well. The low frequency bands are single side band (SSB), but I see that your radio can handle that. There may be some local ham activity on "10 meters" (upper side band?) and international activity on the other ham bands (80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters). I suspect that if you google "Hawaii ham radio nets" that it may help.

During the San Diego 2003 and 2007 fires, I monitored (among other sources) some VHF ham bands and was able to get some first hand information regarding the fire fronts, evacuations, etc.

Yes, I am interested in listening to that also. So far I haven't been able to pick any of that up. I am limited with my antenna since I live in a condo but I have been really happy with the radio and what I have picked up so far.

I will continue to try to receive the Ham bands. Mahalo for your response. 🤙🏻

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, where did you purchase this radio? You have peak the old man interests.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To the OP, where did you purchase this radio? You have peak the old man interests.
I really like it. I got ot from a small veteran owned business Chatt Radio. They have free shipping and he even shipped it to Hawaii for free. They are even $50 cheaper than Amazon. It was $149.00, it's $199.00 on Amazon. This model had great reviews and has a good following. It came complete too, with a case, nice ear bud, and a clip on wire retractable antenna. I get much better reception with the external antenna. It also has an adapter you can use to make your own wire antenna.
The link is below.

There are cheaper options if you wanted to spend less. There are many models from Tecsun that have great reviews too that are under $100. Some even around $50.

Let me know if you have any questions.🤙🏻

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Scroll on the first screen to C. Crane radios.
Screenshot_20240701_152735_Chrome.jpg

Then go to Skywave SSB2.
Screenshot_20240701_152751_Chrome.jpg

You can see the information there.
Screenshot_20240701_152812_Chrome.jpg

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

W6RLN (radio’s loudest noise) was Dad’s call sign.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
World Radio Japan tonight.

Screenshot_20240701_213256_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is Radio China International broadcasting from Xianyang China.

Screenshot_20240701_223158_Chrome.jpg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's Radio New Zealand International tonight broadcasting from Rangitaiki New Zealand.

Screenshot_20240701_224724_Chrome.jpg

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Yes, I am interested in listening to that also. So far I haven't been able to pick any of that up. I am limited with my antenna since I live in a condo but I have been really happy with the radio and what I have picked up so far.

I will continue to try to receive the Ham bands. Mahalo for your response. 🤙🏻
During a hurricane, you'll find a support network on 14.325 (day) or 7.268 (night) -- this used to be a very gritty it's-happening-now sort of thing, but these days it's actually streamed so you don't even need a radio to listen to it. -- https://hwn.org/about-us/net-procedures.html

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I inherited a Grundig FR-200 - recycle power!

Once a year, around hurricane season, I give it a few cranks

View attachment 95570

I see where you can buy a used one for $15
I was actually looking at one similar to this while I was looking. I have heard good reports from people who bought $10 radios brand new.🤙🏻

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
During a hurricane, you'll find a support network on 14.325 (day) or 7.268 (night) -- this used to be a very gritty it's-happening-now sort of thing, but these days it's actually streamed so you don't even need a radio to listen to it. -- https://hwn.org/about-us/net-procedures.html
I'll check that out. I got the radio since I don't know if there would be internet in an emergency. I'll be ready either way.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I picked up my first Ham Radio tonight. I heard him say he was in Hilo and The person he was talking to was on Maui.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
World Radio Japan.

Screenshot_20240705_221335_Chrome.jpg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was able to pick up the Ham Radio again and I was able to clean it up some with the Fine Tune.🤙🏻

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I picked up my first Morse Code transmissions tonight.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I put a small hook on the ceiling on my lanai to hang my Shortwave antenna higher. It made a big difference as I picked up my first Morse Code transmissions and a couple more Ham radio transmissions. One from Santa Anita California. Also NHK World Radio Japan came in much better tonight.

Screenshot_20240707_222818_Chrome.jpg

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I put a small hook on the ceiling on my lanai to hang my Shortwave antenna higher. It made a big difference as I picked up my first Morse Code transmissions and a couple more Ham radio transmissions. One from Santa Anita California. Also NHK World Radio Japan came in much better tonight.

View attachment 95907
Slip, if you were to attach a wire (perhaps 30 feet or so) to the built-in antenna it might help you.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

View attachment 95907
I picked up my first Morse Code transmissions tonight.

I've been an amateur radio operator since about 1967. At the time the FCC had a requirement that I had to be proficient in sending and receiving Morse Code at 5 words per minute for the entry level license, at 13 WPM for the General and Advanced Class license and 20 WPM for the Amateur Extra Class license. So I started at 5 wpm and after about 4 or 5 months moved up to 13 wpm. But I struggled to "copy" code much faster than 15 wpm. I struggled for decades.

Eventually, Morse code was largely abandoned by the military and the FCC announced that they were dropping the requirement for the top license to only 5 wpm. So I concentrated on getting my speed up to 20 wpm BEFORE the "dumbed down" the requirement. It is easier to send code at that speed than it is to receive it. So, on the way to work each morning I used to computerized "code tutor" as I drove. After a few months I achieved my goal and took both the code test and the technical test to get my "Amateur Extra Class" license. Wahoo!!

Although I still understand Morse Code, I don't use it.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've been an amateur radio operator since about 1967. At the time the FCC had a requirement that I had to be proficient in sending and receiving Morse Code at 5 words per minute for the entry level license, at 13 WPM for the General and Advanced Class license and 20 WPM for the Amateur Extra Class license. So I started at 5 wpm and after about 4 or 5 months moved up to 13 wpm. But I struggled to "copy" code much faster than 15 wpm. I struggled for decades.

Eventually, Morse code was largely abandoned by the military and the FCC announced that they were dropping the requirement for the top license to only 5 wpm. So I concentrated on getting my speed up to 20 wpm BEFORE the "dumbed down" the requirement. It is easier to send code at that speed than it is to receive it. So, on the way to work each morning I used to computerized "code tutor" as I drove. After a few months I achieved my goal and took both the code test and the technical test to get my "Amateur Extra Class" license. Wahoo!!

Although I still understand Morse Code, I don't use it.
That's very cool. I have looked into the prep for the license and I'm still checking it out. It's very interesting stuff.

I tried the 30' of wire and the antenna I have works better and is easier to handle in my condo situation. I was picking up both Morse Cose and RTTY transmissions last night along with broadcasts from China, Taiwan, New Zealand, Korea and the Philippines.

I'll take a picture of the antenna and post it tomorrow, too dark for a picture now.🤙🏻

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
W6RLN (radio’s loudest noise) was Dad’s call sign.

Followed by kb7hxx , my wife's dads call sign. He was involved with the search and rescue communication center and hanging out with him was a constant kb7hxx , bla bla bla, kb7hxx out. It's odd that I know his call sign but don't remember the many things I forgot.

Bill

Last edited: