• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sheraton Broadway Plantation [Starwood]

Reaction score
My wife and I are considering a purchase of a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit at this resort. The week is floating 9-43 and week 47. If we do purchase this, it will be our first timeshare. I need to hear ANY info. on anyone familiar with this resort, good, bad or ugly. Will it trade well? While we do plan on using this unit, we also would like to trade. Please let me know anything you may know. So far I have gotten answers on here and everyone has been very helpful and for that I thank you.

Jeff

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a couple of these -- they trade great with Interval. If you have a choice of weeks to buy, try to get one that is deeded to a summer week. Technically, the week doesn't matter ... they all float 9-43, 47. But, you can reserve your deeded week 2 years in advance ... and that can be helpful from an early deposit point-of-view. Also, if you can find one, go for a lockoff as the summer one-BR weeks trade really well also, so you can get 2 great trades for one only sightly higher maintenance fee.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
My wife and I are considering a purchase of a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit at this resort. The week is floating 9-43 and week 47. If we do purchase this, it will be our first timeshare. I need to hear ANY info. on anyone familiar with this resort, good, bad or ugly. Will it trade well? While we do plan on using this unit, we also would like to trade. Please let me know anything you may know. So far I have gotten answers on here and everyone has been very helpful and for that I thank you.

Jeff
I am assuming you mean a resale?

or did u mean from the developer...

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its nice, but I personally wouldn't purchase a resort in Myrtle Beach that isn't on the beach...Ugh...

If I would rent it out, or would want to rent it out most all people want to be on the beach.

I a Sheraton owner was very disapointed in the location of this resort, if I had to chose the best choices are Marriott and Wyndam...for location and accomadations in Myrtle Beach.

However, if you are just purchasing to belong to SVN and II for trading than go for it.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I mean resale, sorry. I have learned something is the short time I've been here, LOL :D
Agree with Jersey Girl - this is a very nice resort right near the Broadway complex which is very popular with vacationers
No, it is not on the beach but the resale pricing compared to Marriott is, well extremely less.

If you deposit a summer week (21-34ish) you will get excellent trades thru II into MANY different resorts. And any of the Platinum weeks will be great for Starwood to Starwood trades.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Its nice, but I personally wouldn't purchase a resort in Myrtle Beach that isn't on the beach...Ugh...

If I would rent it out, or would want to rent it out most all people want to be on the beach.
Try to think of this in a "Wyndham" way, a point is a point is a point. It is an excellent way to get into all the Starwood properties with a low MF.

And summer weeks rent for double+ the MFs :whoopie:

edit, will ask Denise M to move this to the SVN Board...

nra4usa

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a 2 bedroom unit from the developer back in early 1998. Back then only building #1 existed along with the clubhouse. The rest was construction dirt and an open field. We have been back many times over the years. Typically we return on even years and trade the place on odd years.

We love the place! We do not miss the beach one bit since everybody in our party prefers to swim in a pool instead of the ocean. Also, if I remember correctly, you can't drink alcoholic beverages on the beach (it's public property) but you certainly can at the pool! Typically, one morning we drive up the street and park at one of the free public beach access parking lots and the kids play in the waves. That typically is enough beach experience for everybody and "reminds" us why all of the hotels on the beach also have a swimming pool.

Myrtle Beach is a nice place with lots to do. It is a popular destination for the eastern third of America since you can drive there in a day as opposed to Florida. SBP is VERY WELL located. It is right next to Broadway at the Beach, not too far from the ocean (3 large blocks away?), and just 4 miles from the brand new for 2008 HardRock amusement park.

SBP has grown to be a big complex but has ample open space (they bought a lot of land for the complex). We have never felt crowded there. It now has 5 pools and a staffed pool bar where you can also order food. There is also a playground, tennis courts, some hot tubs and minature golf. Below are the pools. All of the pools are next to each other in one jumbo pool area.

1) indoor pool (most popular in the winter I would imagine)
2) original outdoor pool (connects to indoor pool via a swimway)
3) kiddie pool with fountains (for toddlers)
4) lazy river pool
5) Water slide pool - brand new for 2008, opens any day now

The place is very well maintained. Maintenance guys are constantly mowing, planting, painting, fixing, etc....

If I can give you any advice here it is:

1) Yes, SBP is a very nice place
2) Buy a timeshare that YOU will return to over and over as opposed to one bought purely for trading. This is especially true if this is your first timeshare. Visiting the timeshare you own (not having to trade it everytime) saves you money and stress.
3) Buy a timeshare that is close enough for yout to drive to in one day. With gasoline/diesel/jet fuel now $4 a gallon the price of air travel is skyrocking and if your time share is so far away that you have to fly to get there it will cost a bundle - especially for a family of 4 or more. We live in northwest Ohio and it takes us 14 hours to drive to Myrtle Beach. Sure, now at $4.19 per gallon, we are going spend $300 in gasoline alone to get there and back but it's cheaper than airline tickets for the family.
4) jerseygirl has good advice

We will be there in June,

nra4usa

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Jeff :hi:

This is a Starwood resort so I moved you over to the Starwood Board where there are lots of resources and helpful owners to get you started. Be sure you check out all the info. posted at the top of the board. The Starwood FAQ is a good place to start!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I own a couple of these -- they trade great with Interval. If you have a choice of weeks to buy, try to get one that is deeded to a summer week. Technically, the week doesn't matter ... they all float 9-43, 47. But, you can reserve your deeded week 2 years in advance ... and that can be helpful from an early deposit point-of-view. Also, if you can find one, go for a lockoff as the summer one-BR weeks trade really well also, so you can get 2 great trades for one only sightly higher maintenance fee.

Hi Jerseygirl, or anyone else with the information!

What are the fees for the lockout unit, as opposed to the two-bedroom unit? I think the fees are about $680 for the two bedroom? So is it another $100-200 more for the lockout version?

I am asking this because I think I bought a lockout, when I meant to buy a regular unit. I was going to always try to get two-bedrooms because our kids go with us, so the lockout wasn't that important to me. Could be a bonus! :cheer: But I doubt we will ever just trade into a one bedroom, especially in Hawaii. So I am trying to think about this logically. Maybe I need to sell this one and buy a regular week.

So it really comes down to what the fees are going to be for the resale lockout. :doh:

Thanks in advance! :D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Last edited:

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep the lockout -- the one-BR portion of a good summer week will trade for a 2-BR!

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Jerseygirl, or anyone else with the information!

What are the fees for the lockout unit, as opposed to the two-bedroom unit? I think the fees are about $680 for the two bedroom? So is it another $100-200 more for the lockout version?

I am asking this because I think I bought a lockout, when I meant to buy a regular unit. I was going to always try to get two-bedrooms because our kids go with us, so the lockout wasn't that important to me. Could be a bonus! :cheer: But I doubt we will ever just trade into a one bedroom, especially in Hawaii. So I am trying to think about this logically. Maybe I need to sell this one and buy a regular week.

So it really comes down to what the fees are going to be for the resale lockout. :doh:

Thanks in advance! :D

When u do a starwood to starwood trade online - you can get a 2BR for your 1BR deposit..a very nice thing. :D

Keep the lockout -- the one-BR portion of a good summer week will trade for a 2-BR!
Yup!

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC

Wow! So cool to get a LO when you thought you had a regular 2-bedroom! I wish that would happen to me :) !

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Hey Denise, Denise, Grayfal and Jerseygirl:

I was so surprised, I cannot even describe it. I see the fees are about $850 for the two-bedroom, but I feel like I need to deposit the full 2 bedrooms to make sure I get that in return. Are you saying I don't need to do that? What about that small one bedroom? Am I going to get good exchanges with the smaller unit? That would be nice. I am not being offered an AC for next year's week. Does anyone get an AC for an SBP?

Starwood gave me a week 36 to use for exchange this year. It seems to trade okay. I was a little surprised that the trading power (so far today) is about the same as Foxrun. I only saw a Lagunamar for February with the SBP that I didn't see with FXR.

I will insist on a better summer week next year, when I lock it out. I will need to pay the maintenance fees first, I assume. Very happy to be coming up in the world a bit with my timeshare choices, but I still love my FXR and intend to keep that one. Now to buy a Marriott.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is my understanding that you don't get AC's with Starwood deposits. However, I think the 3 day priority for other Starwood resorts and the ability to trade up are more valuable anyway. If you do request first, you will need to deposit the 2 bdm., to get a 2 bdm., but not if you snag something online during the 3 day Pref. period. That's why you could see Lagunamar.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is my understanding that you don't get AC's with Starwood deposits. However, I think the 3 day priority for other Starwood resorts and the ability to trade up are more valuable anyway.

Yes, that will be great. Plus, with the lockout, which I confirmed with Starwood is what I bought, should give me two weeks, so the price will be about the same as my FXR with an AC. It's going to be great. My daughter is ecstatic. :)

Can't wait for those fabulous trades. :D

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
You will have so much fun trading! I can hardly wait to have something to play with, too.

It's nice to have such a surprise in your favor :cheer: !

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does SBP have fixed weeks as well? I saw an ad for a fixed week 25. The price was crazy but I thought SBP only had floating weeks.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does SBP have fixed weeks as well? I saw an ad for a fixed week 25. The price was crazy but I thought SBP only had floating weeks.

No. All floating from what I have seen. Katherine

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phase One is floating -- but an owner has exclusive rights to book his/her deeded week from 24 months to 12 months. So, in a sense, they're fixed/float (although you don't see them described this way in Starwood's literature or on ebay).

Consistent with Starwood's other new resorts, you can probably "fix" a Phase Two week for a premium.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Jerseygirl--

How does one determine if a particular SBP unit is in Phase One vs. Phase Two? Does it depend on the unit number?

And do you know whether the right to reserve the deeded week 12 to 24 months in advance is in the deed or the C. C. & R.'s so Starwood cannot modify it?

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jerseygirl--

How does one determine if a particular SBP unit is in Phase One vs. Phase Two? Does it depend on the unit number?

One way to know for certain is by the season description. Phase One's platinum season runs 9-43, which is way too long -- as evidenced by the "re-do" of seasons in Phase Two. It theoretically doesn't matter which week you own, but if I were starting over again, I'd buy something deeded to weeks 25 - 32. The unit numbers would probably do it too, but I can't help you there -- I'm not familiar enough with the layout to match the buildings to the phase.

And do you know whether the right to reserve the deeded week 12 to 24 months in advance is in the deed or the C. C. & R.'s so Starwood cannot modify it?

I believe it is, but can't state for certain. It's definitely part of the online owner's manual.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Technically, all the units are floating. But Jerseygirl is right, a big advantage of SBP is that you can reserve the week that is on your deed up to 2 years in advance. So before buying a unit, look for a summer week deed to get the best week each year. But in reality, the units are "floating". And yes, it is in the owner's documents as the resort was taken over from Embassy so the older units all have this 2 year reservation window.

The new units are the Palmettos. The way to tell is to find out exactly what the "season" is on the documents. Ask a seller to find out if the season is the long one (older units) or shorter one (new units) for Platinum. I would definitely not buy off season. It doesn't trade very well.

By the way, every single unit you now buy at any resort can be "fixed" for 10% more. But very few owners do that so if your selller says "fixed week" I would assume they don't really mean that! Most people don't want to pay another $5000 or so to fix a week unless it's 4th July, NY, Pres week....

Katherine

chalucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lets see if I understand.

Would there be any 2BR Lockouts in the Palmetto phase deeded to a specific week or (if I am following the discussion correctly) , was the deeding to a specific week (with perhaps the exception of the buyer paying a 10% premium- which doesn't happen very often) a vestige of the original developer?

Just saw a EBAY sale close with a "deeded" week 25 for 1500....looks like a non-lockout

Deal or no deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180260307511&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008