• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Several Hawaii resorts Now Affiliated with VRI

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are only "affiliated" in that VRI is the management company for VI. These VI owned properties DON'T get the VRI exchange priority.

VRI is as bad (in my opinion) as having the developer run your timeshare. I don't trust them, and I wouldn't recommend buying a property managed by them unless:

1) It's a resort you love, and you have to have it
2) The VRI exchange priority is important to you
3) you have a VERY strong HOA that can stand up to them.

JeffV

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
PA, I will have to disagree with you. I think VRI is a very good management company. They make sure the properties are well run, financially strong and use their clout to get better deal for the individual resorts. I have worked with them and found them to be up front and above board.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
JeffV said:
.... I think VRI is a very good management company. ...

Yep, as long as you're a stockholder, and not an owner of a week managed by them.

JeffV

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are no stockholders in VRI, Roy Fraser is the sole owner. I own a week managed by them and have been very pleased with their efforts. What specifically don't you like?
PA- said:
Yep, as long as you're a stockholder, and not an owner of a week managed by them.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
JeffV said:
There are no stockholders in VRI,....

Then I see no basis for thinking they're a "good company".

They strongarm the HOA into doing things their way, and rip off the owners, in my opinion. And as expensive as they are, they don't even do a good job running the operations, in my opinion. I see nothing to recommend them at all. I expect, if you're satisfied with the timeshare you own that they manage, that you fall into one of the 3 categories I mentioned.

lawren2

Reaction score
PA- said:
They are only "affiliated" in that VRI is the management company for VI. These VI owned properties DON'T get the VRI exchange priority.

That doesn't make much sense. I guess I will call VRI this week. They are on the VRI website and there is no other common thread for the VRI exchange window than the VRI management of resorts.

I have to ask where you are getting your information.

They have done wonders for Cape Winds, turning it from a "Bates Motel" to a RID.

JeffV

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Definition of company = "an institution created to conduct business", I don't think that having more than one stockholder is a requirement.
Left to their own devices, many HOAs are inept and need strong guidance. If the HOA can't stand up to a management company, you need to elect a new HOA, not complain about someone who is doing a good job. Again, do you have anything specific or just a general opinion?
PA- said:
Then I see no basis for thinking they're a "good company".

They strongarm the HOA into doing things their way, and rip off the owners, in my opinion. And as expensive as they are, they don't even do a good job running the operations, in my opinion. I see nothing to recommend them at all. I expect, if you're satisfied with the timeshare you own that they manage, that you fall into one of the 3 categories I mentioned.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
JeffV said:
Definition of company = "an institution created to conduct business", I don't think that having more than one stockholder is a requirement.
Left to their own devices, many HOAs are inept and need strong guidance. If the HOA can't stand up to a management company, you need to elect a new HOA, not complain about someone who is doing a good job. Again, do you have anything specific or just a general opinion?

You misunderstood what I was saying. What I meant was, if you can't be a stockholder (in which case you would revel in their raking in the profits from the homeowners), I don't know why you would consider them a "good company". Certainly from the homeowner's standpoint, I wouldn't.

Yes, I have specifics, but don't care to go into them in detail, beyond the statements I've already made. They charge a lot, they strong-arm the HOA and sway them towards bad decisions, and even after all that, they don't do a great job running them (in my opinion).

You're obviously happy with their management of your resort, that's great. I'm not trying to change your mind.

My opinion is that VI is better off without Sunterra, but that their escape from the frying pan didn't clear the fire entirely.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Phil - which multi-resort management companies do you believe perform better than VRI. To keep this relevant, this should be management companies that are not developer affiliated and are realistic options for resorts that are sold out and looking for a company to manage the resort.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
T_R_Oglodyte said:
Phil - which multi-resort management companies do you believe perform better than VRI. To keep this relevant, this should be management companies that are not developer affiliated and are realistic options for resorts that are sold out and looking for a company to manage the resort.

If you're looking to pay top dollar and get top service, I would probably hire Marriott, not VRI. Yes, they'll run roughshod over the HOA, but you'll get better management.

If you're looking to have the HOA control major decisions, get good customer service for reservations, billing, etc, I would probably use ORE.

What's your opinion? Who would you use?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
VRI has been great for my resorts

PA- said:
VRI is as bad (in my opinion) as having the developer run your timeshare. I don't trust them, and I wouldn't recommend buying a property managed by them unless:

1) It's a resort you love, and you have to have it
2) The VRI exchange priority is important to you
3) you have a VERY strong HOA that can stand up to them.

I could not disagree more with this. VRI is one of the only truly independent management companies (not a developer/sales company with Management as a sideline). I own at two resorts they manage and have found them to be a company of integrity that listens to the HOA and implements exactly what they are told. I don't know what experience you are basing your opinion on but no management can do a good job if they don't get the support (read $$) from the HOA. Like any management company VRI will have troubled resorts and do the best they can with what they have to work with. Not every VRI resort is a Gold Crown but that isn't VRI's fault. You are correct that the HOA Board must play a strong role in directing how the resort is to operate or, to protect themselves, VRI will make decisions to best serve the owners. I think your problem is with the HOA not VRI and it is unfair to paint VRI as the "bad guy" in whatever you have experienced at your location.

JoyC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy with VRIresorts

We own a number of timeshare on the Cape (summer) managed by VRI and are very happy with the management. They try to keep the mf low (under $500) and run effiencient operations. We ususally stay at our resort 1 or 2 weeks in the summer.

We also traded into other VRI resorts and enjoyed our stay in those resorts as well. They are too well managed.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
PA- said:

What's your opinion? Who would you use?
I don't have any particular thoughts. I asked simply to get your input.

We own at a VRI resort and have had no issues. I have also stayed at several VRI resorts using VacationTyme, and they have always seemed well run and managed. VRI also seems a good option for very small resorts where VRI operates other resorts in the areaa(e.g., Mandalay Shores, 7 units). VRI can assign an experienced and capable manager to the resort on a part time basis.

There are two VRI resorts I have gleaned some knowledge abot the relationship with VRI (Winners Circle and Mandalay Shores). My impressions from those resorts are significantly different from what you reported.

So I have no intrinisc distrust of VRI, but I am also not in a position to compare with other management companies except Sunterra.

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
PA,

I too don't understand why you are saying that VRI owners do not get a preference into those VI resorts that are now VRI managed as you can see from my questions in the other thread. I would be curious to know the answer.

lawren2

Reaction score
VRI and RCI say...

PA- said:
Good idea, let us know what they say.

I called both VRI and the VRI/RCI numbers. Both companies confirmed that
the Alliance will also be good for the new Vacation Internationale resorts ( 10 of which are in the Hawaiian Islands )

Exchange Program Benefits
As a result of the VRI/RCI alliance, the VRI/RCI Exchange Program includes a $20 discount on the standard RCI domestic exchange fee when you exchange into another VRI managed resort. You also get internal exchange priority that gives you first access to VRI inventory.

VRI/RCI Exchange Program
1-877-VRI-3334 (1-877-874-3334)

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
lawren2 said:
I called both VRI and the VRI/RCI numbers. Both companies confirmed that
the Alliance will also be good for the new Vacation Internationale resorts ( 10 of which are in the Hawaiian Islands )

Exchange Program Benefits
As a result of the VRI/RCI alliance, the VRI/RCI Exchange Program includes a $20 discount on the standard RCI domestic exchange fee when you exchange into another VRI managed resort. You also get internal exchange priority that gives you first access to VRI inventory.

VRI/RCI Exchange Program
1-877-VRI-3334 (1-877-874-3334)

Now call VI and get the truth.

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
PA- said:

Pa,

Do you think that VI has a motive to not be so truthful about the ability of others to exchange into their resort group with a preference? I have no idea what the truth is, only what I've read here. I do know that it should be pretty easy to suss out once those of us with VRI weeks make a few comparisons with other weeks that we have.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
JeffV said:
The truth is what was stated whether you like the answer or not.

It's not a matter whether I like it or not, it's the matter of what's the truth. I own VRI property, so this would be nothing but an enhancement for me personally.

VI is adamant that the VRI internal exchange priority doesn't apply to their properties, even though VRI manages the property.

VI has no reason to lie about that, that I can think of. It doesn't necessarily mean they're correct, of course, they could be mistaken.

However, you must admit, RCI and VRI DEFINATELY have a vested interest in making people believe that, whether true or not, and it would be impossible for us to know whether we were getting the priority or not. Once again, they could be telling the truth, but I would believe my sources over RCI and VRI, who I don't always trust to tell the truth.

Forgive me for being skeptical. I'm not trying to burst your balloon. I'm only interested in understanding who's telling the truth.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
PA- said:
Why do you think that VI is more authoritative about what happens inside the RCI trading system than RCI itself - and particularly the RCI reps who have been trained to work with VRI resorts and owners?

Personally, I think that RCI probably knows more about what happens inside the RCI system than does VI. If an RCI rep who works with the system says that all VRI are handled inside the RCI system identically (including the old VI resorts), that sounds more reliable to me than a conflicting statement made by VI.

But if you have some reason as to why VI is more reliable about the RCI trading procedures than VI, I'm ready to listen to it.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Added note: Just because VI thinks it supposed to work that way, it doesn't always follow that it's implemented that way at RCI. Wouldn't be the first time that a resort and RCI got crosswise on "special rules".

ragtop

TUG Member
Reaction score
VI does not deposit into RCI Weeks. All deposits into that program are made by VI owners who happen to be members of RCI Weeks.