• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Several Hawaii resorts Now Affiliated with VRI

Lee B

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt that there is a lot (any?) of slop in the VI vacancies and the members wanting to stay in them. VI
  • Owns some condos in places, not the whole resorts.
  • Probably places most members in VI-owned intervals.
  • Owners probably don't deposit many weeks or points into RCI.
Therefore, RCI probably doesn't get much VI inventory. What they do get deposited into their spacebank might get a VI request priority first, then a VRI request priority, then availability to all RCI members. So VRI requesters wanting HI may not have much benefit of VRI managing the VI intervals there.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Foxrun, which is a VRI resort. I've only owned there a year, but my impression is that VRI has done a great job of improving the resort and keeping MFs reasonable. Foxrun was originally a Fairfield resort, and some of the other phases of the same resort decided to stay with Fairfield. The Fairfield-managed units have substantially higher MFs than Foxrun.

Fairways of the Mountains is also a VRI-managed phase of the same resort, but since I have just purchased there (got the deeds last week), I don't know much about their history. Fairways of the Mountains also has low fees compared to the Fairfield-managed units, though.

JeffV

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I guess the concensus is that VRI is a pretty good management company (with one dissenting opinion).

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
lawren2 said:

The VRI/RCI Exchange Program includes a $20 discount on the standard RCI domestic exchange fee when you exchange into another VRI managed resort.
You also get internal exchange priority that gives you first access to VRI inventory.
I'm in the process of buying a deeded summer week at a VRI-managed property, Riverview Resort, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod, Mass.

Riverview Resort is listed as an RCI Points property.

Can you tell me how this all fits together? Besides using my deeded week, I know I could deposit it with RCI Weeks. Does the internal exchange priority operate after the RCI Weeks deposit, or is that an alternative to making the RCI deposit.

Or do I need to convert the property to RCI Points for that benefit, and if so, how does that happen and at what cost?

--Thanks!

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
rklein001 said:
I'm in the process of buying a deeded summer week at a VRI-managed property, Riverview Resort, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod, Mass.

Riverview Resort is listed as an RCI Points property.

Can you tell me how this all fits together? Besides using my deeded week, I know I could deposit it with RCI Weeks. Does the internal exchange priority operate after the RCI Weeks deposit, or is that an alternative to making the RCI deposit.

Or do I need to convert the property to RCI Points for that benefit, and if so, how does that happen and at what cost?

--Thanks!

Hi,

Many VRI properties are also RCI Points resorts. This only means that you can convert the week to Points if you choose to buy into the RCI Points system. You can take a look at the "All Points Board" here on TUG for information on Converting Weeks to Points etc. Bottom line is that there is usually a fee to convert a week to Points. Some find the cost prohibitive to convert weeks that they already own. In any event, you will reap the benefit of the VRI preference after you deposit your week into the RCI Weeks spacebank. You do not have to deposit the week into the Points system. I don't even know if there is such a thing as a VRI preference once a week is converted. Maybe someone can answer that question.

BTW...I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but I received a mailing from RCI today re: the benefits of VRI ownership. The brochure states that there are 76 "exciting" VRI resorts. They go on to list by my count 74...none in Hawaii or Whistler. They also have "white dots" in States where there are VRI resorts...no white dots in Hawaii. Perhaps the brochure was printed before the affiliation with VI? Perhaps PA is correct?

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dani said:
.... you will reap the benefit of the VRI preference after you deposit your week into the RCI Weeks spacebank. You do not have to deposit the week into the Points system. I don't even know if there is such a thing as a VRI preference once a week is converted. Maybe someone can answer that question.

I recently bought a red VRI week at Fairways of the Mountains, specifically to get the VRI priority. (Technically, I bought two EOY weeks, but whatever.) The Foxrun week I already owned is blue, and gets VRI priority only for other blue VRI weeks -- pretty useless. After my offer to purchase the red Fairways of the Mountains week was accepted, I learned that the week had been converted to RCI Points. So, I now own a VRI week that has been converted to RCI Points.

I asked Madge about VRI priority for my new week and was told that my Fairways of the Mountains week could NOT be deposited into RCI Weeks and would NOT get VRI priority when doing searching on the "weeks side" of RCI Points. However, she said that other VRI resorts would be considered part of my weeks "Home Group" and get a one-month priority window for the "points side" of RCI Points. RCI Points has not yet processed the transfer of ownership, so I don't know yet how useful this Home Group priority will be.

Dani said:
.... BTW...I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but I received a mailing from RCI today re: the benefits of VRI ownership. The brochure states that there are 76 "exciting" VRI resorts. They go on to list by my count 74...none in Hawaii or Whistler. They also have "white dots" in States where there are VRI resorts...no white dots in Hawaii. Perhaps the brochure was printed before the affiliation with VI? Perhaps PA is correct?

Also, none of the VI resorts are listed as VRI-managed on VRI's website, www.vrivacations.com. All the listed resorts are in the "lower 48" states; nothing in Hawaii or Canada. I thought that, back on the old board, there was a thread establishing that VI was NOT included in the VRI priority.

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Okay....I'm blowing the dust off of this thread and bringing it back up to the top. I am confused!!! Madge said today on the "Ask RCI" board that VRI owners do get a preference into VI resorts. Has anyone now noticed a preference into these resorts in Hawaii?

I lost the list of Hawaii VRI resorts that were former VI resorts. Does anyone know where I can find this list? I will say that I have noticed that I am pulling a LOT of Hawaii resorts that I never saw before with a VRI week that I own. Now I'm thinking that there may be an VRI preference.

anne1125

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also own a VRI resort. I don't see a list showing any Haiwaiin resorts, though.

Where can I find this?

Thanks. Anne

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Jeff. Many of the Hawaii resorts that I am now seeing are not on that list, although two are.

I would still like to know what the answer is to this question so will keep an eye out and make some comparisons.

Neil Bock

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a member of HOA Board at one VRI managed resort, and an owner at another. I was concerned at first about the amount we paid VRI for the various services, but over the years have come to believe it's well worth it. As in anything else, "You get what you pay for." They are a strong company who can get excellent quantity discounts for us, and they know the ins and outs of resort management. I have solid confidence in the advice we get from them.

Neil

ragtop

TUG Member
Reaction score
PA- said:
These VI owned properties DON'T get the VRI exchange priority.

VI weeks placed into RCI Weeks inventory by VI owners do get the VRI exchange priority. VI does confirm this.

Last edited:

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to remind folks of this. I have definitely seen an increase in VI properties with my VRI weeks. I can see that there is indeed a preference.

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
List of VI properties?

Dani- you must know where to access a list of vi properties-I would like to see this list.
Thanks
Anita

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Dani said:
Just wanted to remind folks of this. I have definitely seen an increase in VI properties with my VRI weeks. I can see that there is indeed a preference.

Dani,
Are you seeing many of the VI Hawaii weeks w/RCI? The RCI directory shows 23 VI resorts worldwide and 10 in Hawaii, I think.

Phil

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
philemer said:
Dani,
Are you seeing many of the VI Hawaii weeks w/RCI? The RCI directory shows 23 VI resorts worldwide and 10 in Hawaii, I think.

Phil

This is what I am mostly seeing. I haven't really paid attention to the non-Hawaii weeks. Prior to this preference, I had never even heard of some of these VI resorts. I've seen lots of Valley Isle and Sea Mountain and Sea Village weeks.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
One way you'll know if you have preference is when you go to confirm the resort.
Are you charged the discounted exchange fee?

My VRI week is one of the best traders I have. MF's are around $400 and if it was a Marriott, they'd be in the $800 range.

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
What is your vri resort?

Calidave-which of the vri resorts do you own?
Anita

resorts13

Reaction score
VRI

Hi:

Are there any VRI reps on this forum? I have a question for you.

=Dave=

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Hi:

Are there any VRI reps on this forum? I have a question for you.

=Dave=

No, but ask your question anyway. We have a lot of experts here. :)

Phil

bmann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wrong area for post

Last edited: