• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling timeshare but retain this years usage

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I have a question.

Say you decide to give away one of your timeshares but you have a trip booked for later in the year that you still plan to and want to use. You want the new owners usage to start in 2013.

How does work with regards to paperwork?

If I transfer ownership now, am I still able to use my reservation later in the year? If so, since I sold it prior to my stay, will I still be considered/treated like an owner when I visit the resort?

Thanks,
Nico

rrlongwell

Reaction score
So I have a question.

Say you decide to give away one of your timeshares but you have a trip booked for later in the year that you still plan to and want to use. You want the new owners usage to start in 2013.

How does work with regards to paperwork?

If I transfer ownership now, am I still able to use my reservation later in the year? If so, since I sold it prior to my stay, will I still be considered/treated like an owner when I visit the resort?

Thanks,
Nico

As I understand it, with Wyndham Vacation Resorts, the reservation points or reservations for fixed week owners go with the contract they were assigned to. Therefore, if the reservation is for a contract that has been sold, then the reservations after the date Wyndham reconizes the new owner would go to the new owner. I would assume this would pretty much be the industry standard. Be careful, some people try to charge extra for use of weeks or points for the current use year because they made the maintance fee payment for the year. Others may try to come up with a term for a "fee" (maybe a "convience fee") for the new owner to get control of the weeks or points. Still others indicate that Wyndham Vacation Resorts will not permit use while they process the change in ownership. Just a side thought, you might want to check with an attorney, but I do not believe the Resorts Managing Agents have to honor how to distributed the usage rights that the parties agreed to unless they are party to the agreement. I have wondered if this is not the real reason for some of the extended delays in the closing process on re-sales that are not attributable to the resort or its agents (i.e. they may just rent them to a third party and string the new owner along until the rental dates are gone).

Last edited:

Dave H

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, with Wyndham Vacation Resorts, the reservation points or reservations for fixed week owners go with the contract they were assigned to. Therefore, if the reservation is for a contract that has been sold, then the reservations after the date Wyndham reconizes the new owner would go to the new owner. I would assume this would pretty much be the industry standard. Be careful, some people try to charge extra for use of weeks or points for the current use year because they made the maintance fee payment for the year. Others may try to come up with a term for a "fee" (maybe a "convience fee") for the new owner to get control of the weeks or points. Still others indicate that Wyndham Vacation Resorts will not permit use while they process the change in ownership. Just a side thought, you might want to check with an attorney, but I do not believe the Resorts Managing Agents have to honor how to distributed the usage rights that the parties agreed to unless they are party to the agreement. I have wondered if this is not the real reason for some of the extended delays in the closing process on re-sales that are not attributable to the resort or its agents (i.e. they may just rent them to a third party and string the new owner along until the rental dates are gone).

We will usually send in a reservations notice to the resort in hopes they will honor it (they are not required to, but often they will). Starwood will and will hold the reservation in the before transfer owners name, most of the resorts will. I can not think of a resort that does not, but it has to be communicated to them with all the transfer documents.

The buyer buying on 2012 with usage in 2013 is not uncommon especially if the before transfer owner paid maintenance fees and books a vacation. It is slightly different if you booked the vacation but your asking the new buyer to pay this years maintenance fees in effect paying for the old owners vacation.

I would also highly suggest the old owner call reservations and advise them of the pending transfer and also follow up even after the transfer to make sure that the reservation stays. It is easier to replace a reservation months before the trip (like when the transfer took place) then it is the day you are leaving for what you thought was your vacation.

Dave