• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling Raintree Vacation Club

edgewater

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a platinum membership in raintree vacation club with 234,00 points. We would like to sell this. Any ideas on how to get rid of this

melissaj

Banned
Reaction score
Timeshare

I thint that the best solution is to cancel it. There is no resale market for timeshares. If you take a look on eBay you can find timeshares for $1. There are lots of timeshares listed and I don't think that you can sell your timeshare for a good price.
If you want to get rid, better cancel.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Melissa - It is not possible to just cancel, so your posts advising people to do so just confuses newbies.

melissaj

Banned
Reaction score
I did cancel my timeshare

It is possible to cancel a timeshare. I bought a timeshare last year and I cancelled with a Mexican company. Mine was with Villa del Palmar, but I don't know if it is the same procedure to all resorts. I lost $2,000 in the process of the cancellation but I did.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is possible to cancel a timeshare. I bought a timeshare last year and I cancelled with a Mexican company. Mine was with Villa del Palmar, but I don't know if it is the same procedure to all resorts. I lost $2,000 in the process of the cancellation but I did.

It's wonderful that cancellation worked for you. It doesn't mean it should be an expected method of getting out of a contract.

Promises of cancellation have led unsuspecting owners to results ranging from having paid fees just to see nothing happen at all, to claims of contract cancellation, only to see delinquency and foreclosure appear on their credit history months later.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

No offense, but you are comparing apples to grapefruits when you compare a RTU contract in Mexico (with no jurisdiction over U.S. citizens once they return to USA) to the situation of a U.S. timeshare ownership by a U.S. citizen. They are entirely different countries, jurisdictions and contractual situations with very little in common.

Mexican entities are sometimes amenable to release from the contract (while keeping all money paid so far, of course); they have no leverage over a U.S. citizen anyhow.
U.S. entities are not at all as "flexible" on U.S. contract cancellations by U.S. citizens, since they have a range of legal actions they can initiate, none of them pleasant.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have a platinum membership in raintree vacation club with 234,00 points. We would like to sell this. Any ideas on how to get rid of this
Because Raintree points cost less (in $/point) the larger the contract, larger Raintree memberships actually have some positive value. Platinum is probably right above the line where the contracts become worthless. Above platinum level a savvy owner can actually make a bit of money using one-third to one-half of the points to obtain a unit for rental that can recoup the entire maintenance fee, leaving the remaining points as essentially free. Or to obtain another unit for rental and making money off of the difference.

If you want to move it quickly try listing it on eBay with no reserve, no minimum bid. In your listing be sure you describe the point value, whether is annual or every other year, how many saved points will be included in the transfer, what your recent maintenance fee history has been, etc. Say that you own the membership free and clear of debt and are current on all annual fees. Of the points that are available in the account, describe how many of them are the special usage points that were awarded after the settlement of the lawsuit associated with the special assessment. If none of the points are from the settlement, then say so.

Say that you will pay for all transfer fees. You don't lose anything by saying that since knowledgeable buyers will increase their bid by that amount anyway, but it makes it easier to generate interest.

Also, before you list it anywhere, contact Raintree and find out exactly what the transfer process is and what fees are involved. Also if they have any restrictions on transfer (for example, because of Viking ship timeshare exit companies they might not allow transfer to a LLC). It's important for you to know the transfer process so that when you do find a buyer you will be ready to proceed immediately. Also if you describe the transfer process in your listing you will generate more interest because potential buyers will know they are dealing with someone who is knowledgeable about the process, which helps ensure a smoother transaction.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention to include the number of years remaining on the contract.