• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

seems like a good deal

elizfield

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own WVORV and am quite happy with it. I'm tantilized by the prices I see Westin Mission Hills going for on ebay. And with the economy I'm sure I could get an even better deal. I travel at least 3-4 weeks each year so I know I'd use it.

Frankly- I'd be happy just going to the california desert once a year!

I'm nowhere near as sophisticated about these things as people here are and would love answers to these questions:

1. Am I missing something? I know what the annual fees are-but a couple grand seems very low.

2. If deposited with II will these trade well?

3. Do they usually include staroptions/starpoints? (my WVORV has both but apparently this isn't standard and I don't understand how all that works)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome to TUG! :hi: For a good overview of how Starwood works, check out the FAQ at the top of the board.

1. Am I missing something? I know what the annual fees are-but a couple grand seems very low.

Resales go for a fraction of the developer price - there are other Starwood resorts for even less. Is it an off-season week? If so, that will lower the price, but it won't trade as well with II as a high season week.

Speaking of WKORV - I own there too. 2 Bdm. ocean view units are going for less than $30K on the resale market these days. Island view for much less!

2. If deposited with II will these trade well?

Yes, but if you just want a II trader, you can buy one of the other Starwood resorts for less money and a lower MF.

3. Do they usually include staroptions/starpoints? (my WVORV has both but apparently this isn't standard and I don't understand how all that works)

No - only a few Starwood resorts transfer the Staroptions on a resale, and none of them transfer the Starpoints. That is one of the reasons that this resort goes for so little on the resale market. But, as I said, there are others that trade just about as well, for far less money.

Here is a comparison of Westin Mission Hills, Sheraton Desert Oasis, and Sheraton Broadway Plantation, from another thread. As you can see, WKV has significantly higher maintenance fees, and you would also expect to pay twice as much for a resale.

2008 MF's

2 bdm. L/O WMH - $1,298.74

2 bdm. L/O SPB - $849

2 bdm. L/O SDO - $794.24

I would actually buy a larger 1 bdm. EOY to trade, instead of a 2 bdm., but I don't have the MF's for the 1 bdm. at all 3 resorts so I am using the 2 bdm. for MF comparison.

The MF on my larger 1 bdm. EOY at SDO was $293.02 last year.

To look at II/Starwood trade availability look at the Sightings Board and scroll back through the Starwood sightings, or use the search feature on the board and search for the resorts by name.

Last edited:

elizfield

TUG Member
Reaction score
clarification

Just to clarify- my interest in westin mission hills is that I would actually go there. But since it appears to be a voluntary resort I'll look at Westin Keirland.

I'm confused about your comment on "week". My maui property doesn't have specific weeks assigned.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just to clarify- my interest in westin mission hills is that I would actually go there. But since it appears to be a voluntary resort I'll look at Westin Keirland.

I'm confused about your comment on "week". My maui property doesn't have specific weeks assigned.

Most of the Starwood resorts have specified seasons (but not the Hawaii resorts.) If you own in a particular season, you can only reserve that season. See the Staroption Chart under Exchanging, in Owner Resources for specifics.

WKV is lovely - but you will pay 10 x as much for a mandatory resort, so evaluate if you really want/need mandatory. If you are going to use it or do II exchanges only, voluntary will work just fine.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If you'd actually use it and want to travel in high season, I'd say buy there just for the ease and convenience of reserving 12 months out. If you're flexible in your travel plans and can travel during shoulder seasons (e.g. April/May or Sep/Oct) then economically it makes more sense to buy at SDO and use the II 3 day priority window that owners of other Starwood properties (voluntary and mandatory) to reserve into WMH.

You already own a mandatory resort if you want to trade within SVN. I'd be very reluctant to own another one given that their MFs have risen tremendously every year.

elizfield

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses-especially noting that I already own a mandatory one. I'm going to force myself to be patient and buy after the first of the year.