• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Seeking input on Starwood programs and resales

RR Drummer

Reaction score
I am new so I apologize for any repeat information. I am interested in the Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West specifically). My preference is a 2 bed lockoff anually, although I may be flexible on unit size. Any advice on resales/Starwood programs, etc is welcome.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Are you asking how, or where to buy resale?

Ebay probably has the lowest prices, and I'd also check the TUG Marketplace (linked in red bar top of page.)

Or if you are asking about how a resale works, then the Starwood FAQ may be helpful to you - especially the comparison at the bottom:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63224

RR Drummer

Reaction score
Are you asking how, or where to buy resale?

Ebay probably has the lowest prices, and I'd also check the TUG Marketplace (linked in red bar top of page.)

Or if you are asking about how a resale works, then the Starwood FAQ may be helpful to you - especially the comparison at the bottom:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63224

I've been on a few resale sights including TUG so it is more about how and tips/thoughts on units, mf's, Starwood programs, etc. I'll read the thread you suggested, thanks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I've been on a few resale sights including TUG so it is more about how and tips/thoughts on units, mf's, Starwood programs, etc. I'll read the thread you suggested, thanks.

Since that is a very broad question, I'd suggest that you read the FAQ for the nuts and bolts, and then let us know what questions you have.

Here is a question for you: What is your GOAL in buying a timeshare at SVV?

Also: You can review the maintenance fees for Starwood resorts in the data base, linked at the top of the Starwood forum page.

Last edited:

RR Drummer

Reaction score
Since that is a very broad question, I'd suggest that you read the FAQ for the nuts and bolts, and then let us know what questions you have.

Here is a question for you: What is your GOAL in buying a timeshare at SVV?

My goal is to vacation at least once a year (twice??) in Orlando. We have friends who own at SVV. I've read about Bella and Key West being mandatory & Staroptions, etc.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My goal is to vacation at least once a year (twice??) in Orlando. We have friends who own at SVV. I've read about Bella and Key West being mandatory & Staroptions, etc.

So apparently, you also want to trade it sometimes, in the Starwood network?

I ask, because generally, a timeshare with Staroptions is more expensive.

If you only want to use it in Orlando, you can acquire a timeshare with no Staroptions for free.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If you have researched sufficiently - and have identified SVV (Bella, KW) which has SOs - then find one that offers best value to you (suggest highest season that offered best SOs/MF) Yes - Mandatory resorts cost more... for a reason. SOs give better access to SVN resorts. IMO

RR Drummer

Reaction score
So apparently, you also want to trade it sometimes, in the Starwood network?

I ask, because generally, a timeshare with Staroptions is more expensive.

If you only want to use it in Orlando, you can acquire a timeshare with no Staroptions for free.

Ok, I was thinking any timeshare in Orlando I buy (floating) at SVV annually without trading/exchanging and then any Staroptions I receieve (if I buy at a mandatory resort) I would be able to convert to Starpoints for Hotel stays. Am I wrong in thinking that? Maybe there are other costs involved?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You do not get Starpoints when you buy resale - only if you buy from the developer.

7) What are Starpoints?
Starpoints are Starwood hotel points & they can be used for hotel stays, airfare, and other purchases from the Starwood Preferred Guests Program. Starpoints do not transfer with any resale.

At the bottom of the FAQ, there is a comparison of buying resale vs the developer, mandatory vs voluntary - you will want to take a look at that.

Last edited:

RR Drummer

Reaction score
You do not get Starpoints when you buy resale - only if you buy from the developer.

At the bottom of the FAQ, there is a comparison of buying resale vs the developer, mandatory vs voluntary - you will want to take a look at that.

Ahh yes, I have just read that. Very informative & quite helpful.:ponder:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't give it a second thought - the conversion rate to Starpoints benefits Starwood - not the owner.

In most cases, it's a poor value to convert to Starpoints, and you are better off just paying for your hotel stay.

The real value of owning a "mandatory" resort is the ability to trade the Staroptions for other timeshares in the Starwood network.

RR Drummer

Reaction score
Don't give it a second thought - the conversion rate to Starpoints benefits Starwood - not the owner.

In most cases, it's a poor value to convert to Starpoints, and you are better off just paying for your hotel stay.

The real value of owning a "mandatory" resort is the ability to trade the Staroptions for other timeshares in the Starwood network.

Question. Would I get a week plus Staroptions with a mandatory resort or just one or the other?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Question. Would I get a week plus Staroptions with a mandatory resort or just one or the other?

One or the other - A mandatory week has X number of Staroptions assigned to it. You can use your week at your home resort, or you can use the Staroptions.

If you buy a 2 bdm. lock-off (2 attached units) you can use one side for a home resort stay, and use the other side for a Staroption exchange - but it must be a lock-off, not a standard 2 bdm.

However, you may not get many Staroptions for one side, so you will want to consider where you want to go, and how many Staroptions it requires.

Last edited:

RR Drummer

Reaction score
One or the other - A mandatory week has X number of Staroptions assigned to it. You can use your week at your home resort, or you can use the Staroptions.

If you buy a 2 bdm. lock-off (2 attached units) you can use one side for a home resort stay, and use the other side for a Staroption exchange - but it must be a lock-off, not a standard 2 bdm.

However, you may not get many Staroptions for one side, so you will want to consider where you want to go, and how many Staroptions it requires.

I was thinking of the lockoff in case we travel as a couple vs as a family. Then we could use 1 bed for us and use the other to go again or somewhere else.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I was thinking of the lockoff in case we travel as a couple vs as a family. Then we could use 1 bed for us and use the other to go again or somewhere else.

You can do that; it is a common way to use lockout units with StarOptions.

RR Drummer

Reaction score
You can do that; it is a common way to use lockout units with StarOptions.

Yes I imagine. Are there any Starwood rules I should be aware of concerning locking off? Any usage restrictions for using the locked off unit? I know from working in HGVC that you can buy a higher point week and then use it for lower point stays (weeks/nights within the HGVC club) Is this true of Starwood or is the lockoff restricted to exchanges? I'm still thinking of a 2 bedroom lockoff floating platinum week at SVV. Thoughts?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I imagine. Are there any Starwood rules I should be aware of concerning locking off? Any usage restrictions for using the locked off unit? I know from working in HGVC that you can buy a higher point week and then use it for lower point stays (weeks/nights within the HGVC club) Is this true of Starwood or is the lockoff restricted to exchanges? I'm still thinking of a 2 bedroom lockoff floating platinum week at SVV. Thoughts?

SVV 2BR Platinum lockoff unit gives you 95,700 SO. Using the large side and using the lockoff side (SO) won't give you enough SOs (44K for the small 1BR side) for most locations to reserve in SVN. You can bank the SO to give you more SOs to make your reservation. Alternatively you can use II to exchange the small 1BR for other locations and it should give you plenty of good trades. It has Starwood-Starwood preference in II.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

With Starwood, any time you make a reservation that is different than what you own, it is a Staroption reservation. So to make a reservation for a different season, a different unit, or a different resort, you use your Staroptions.

The earliest you can make a Staroption reservation is 8 mos. before check-in.

When you reserve exactly what you own - it is a home resort reservation - the earliest you can make a home resort reservation is 12 mos. before check-in. The latest you can make a home resort reservation is 8 mos. and one day before check-in.

However, as sptung pointed out, with the unit you are considering, you are not going to have very many Staroptions, so using just one side of the unit may not be enough Staroptions for the trades you want. It completely depends on where you want to go, the season, and the size unit.

RR Drummer

Reaction score
With Starwood, any time you make a reservation that is different than what you own, it is a Staroption reservation. So to make a reservation for a different season, a different unit, or a different resort, you use your Staroptions.

The earliest you can make a Staroption reservation is 8 mos. before check-in.

When you reserve exactly what you own - it is a home resort reservation - the earliest you can make a home resort reservation is 12 mos. before check-in. The latest you can make a home resort reservation is 8 mos. and one day before check-in.

However, as sptung pointed out, with the unit you are considering, you are not going to have very many Staroptions, so using just one side of the unit may not be enough Staroptions for the trades you want. It completely depends on where you want to go, the season, and the size unit.

It's making sense now lol. Thanks for helping me. My end goal for the near future is to go to Orlando (Grand Vista??) once in March if I use the whole 2 bed lockoff or twice a year 1 bed each time in March and November at same prop I purchase (Grand Vista??). Is that reasonable thru Starwood & what fees would I expect to pay to book?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's making sense now lol. Thanks for helping me. My end goal for the near future is to go to Orlando (Grand Vista??) once in March if I use the whole 2 bed lockoff or twice a year 1 bed each time in March and November at same prop I purchase (Grand Vista??). Is that reasonable thru Starwood & what fees would I expect to pay to book?

Grand Vista cannot be reserved through Starwood - it is not a Starwood timeshares. You can only reserve other Starwood timeshares with Staroptions.

If you want to trade with outside properties, then you must exchange with RCI or II - and you certainly don't need Staroptions for that.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
After better familiarizing with SVO/SVN particulars (and other systems), and can afford to vacation - and decide to buy SVO resale

Let's assume the purchase cost upfront is neutral. Meaning, that if you buy resale SVO at a M Resort ($15K) or a V Resort ($1), and you don't care about the potential investment lost (disposable income) - a person could get back what they paid ($15K or $1)
If one cannot afford this, then do not buy a M Resort.

If so, the benefits (and detriments) are the remaining value that need to balanced against the annual costs - and these inter-related factors are different for all.
For us:
- Location/Season (HomeResort: Buy where you want to go in case it all falls apart)
- Quality
- Accessibility (travel costs, hassle)
- Ability to Rent (cover fees, profit)
- Exchange Value
- Resale Value: for M Resorts this could be major factor, and should be cautious based on future of SVO/SVN (see disposable income)
- Ability to Sell/Transfer

These are important value considerations - not just SO and MF.
(Added - for our friends in Canada - the USD ratio to Canadian dollar)

Last edited:

RR Drummer

Reaction score
Grand Vista cannot be reserved through Starwood - it is not a Starwood timeshares. You can only reserve other Starwood timeshares with Staroptions.

If you want to trade with outside properties, then you must exchange with RCI or II - and you certainly don't need Staroptions for that.

Oops typo on my part, sorry. Vistana Villages I meant.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oops typo on my part, sorry. Vistana Villages I meant.

It depends on how many Staroptions you have available to use, and how many Staroptions the exchange costs. It varies depending on the unit and season.

There is a Staroption chart in the Starwood Resources Sticky at the top of the page with this info.

RR Drummer

Reaction score
After better familiarizing with SVO/SVN particulars (and other systems), and can afford to vacation - and decide to buy SVO resale

Let's assume the purchase cost upfront is neutral. Meaning, that if you buy resale SVO at a M Resort ($15K) or a V Resort ($1), and you don't care about the potential investment lost (disposable income) - a person could get back what they paid ($15K or $1)
If one cannot afford this, then do not buy a M Resort.

If so, the benefits (and detriments) are the remaining value that need to balanced against the annual costs - and these inter-related factors are different for all.
For us:
- Location/Season (HomeResort: Buy where you want to go in case it all falls apart)
- Quality
- Accessibility (travel costs, hassle)
- Ability to Rent (cover fees, profit)
- Exchange Value
- Resale Value: for M Resorts this could be major factor, and should be cautious based on future of SVO/SVN (see disposable income)
- Ability to Sell/Transfer

These are important value considerations - not just SO and MF.
(Added - for our friends in Canada - the USD ratio to Canadian dollar)

Great points. All things considered I've decided Starwood SVV is best for the initial low cost of resales compared to MVC. Just figuring out the best approach on weeks & how to best utilize any ownership.

Stb

TUG Member
Reaction score
westin kannapali

could be looking for a resale there in newer section
any help or suggestions
looking to use every year not trade