• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sedona/Los Abrigados without a rental car

heather

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be at Los Abrigados in a two bedroom unit (the one with the washer/dryer and supposedly more substantial kitchen) for two weeks in January. We wanted the kitchen and the central location as we will not be renting a car for this leg of a four week trip and don't want/can't afford to eat out every meal. So, can any of you tell me:

1. Are there grocery stores within walking distance that hopefully have some prepared food as well as the usual other stuff? Someone mentioned Bashas but it sounded like we would need a car to get to it.
2. Are the tours from the property the best way to see the area or is it less expensive to book them through another service where Chamber of Commerce booklet discounts can be used? I personally don't like tours but this will be our only option when carless.
3. What restaurants should not be missed, once again within walking distance?
4. How do I find out about hiking in the area? We want to do some day hikes.
5. Is there a shuttle service that you prefer from the Phoenix airport?

And, should I/can I request a particular unit at Los Abrigados? I'm asking you before calling them so as to be prepared.

Thanks in advance for any help.

king1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Los A is situated down in a hole, and while there are beautiful views around Sedona, you probably won't see many of them from your room. Two weeks there without a car would be like a prison sentence to me, but I'm kinda weird about wheels. I must have car keys in my pocket even if I never use the car!

Last edited:

David

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Are there grocery stores within walking distance that hopefully have some prepared food as well as the usual other stuff? Someone mentioned Bashas but it sounded like we would need a car to get to it.

Bashas and Safeway are about 2 miles away, uphill for the first mile or so. They are in West Sedona. There are taxis in Sedona.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would highly recommend a car for Sedona. You will miss so much without one.

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cannot imagine being in Sedona without a car. All of the interesting National Parks, hiking trails, and historical places are just too far to walk or take a taxi. Tourist shopping would be doable but groceries would be a hassle. The awsome views (such as the airport spot at sunset) would be missed. Even the drive from Phoenix Airport through the canyon is a treat. The tours such as Pink Jeep are quite expensive and you could do much of the same thing with your own vehicle for a fraction of the cost.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will chime in as well and suggest you rent a car. The drive from Phoenix is quite simple, just a few hours north. Sedona is a simple area to drive in and around.

heather

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I don't receive any more positive feedback than this, we will quickly change our minds and rent a car. We travelled through England and Scotland using public transportation so that both of us could see the sights so it seemed like a good idea here as well. Guess I was wrong! I'm not trudging 2 miles up a hill to get my groceries!!!!!!

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I don't receive any more positive feedback than this, we will quickly change our minds and rent a car. We travelled through England and Scotland using public transportation so that both of us could see the sights so it seemed like a good idea here as well. Guess I was wrong! I'm not trudging 2 miles up a hill to get my groceries!!!!!!

I am not sure where you are from, but the US West is very large and very spread out. A car is almost a necessity for those of us who live out here in the West, especially in rural America, which Sedona is.

Like I said earlier, don't let driving bother you. It's very simple to drive from Phoenix, and in and around Sedona. If you have a car you can also drive up to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon from Sedona. Good luck, it's very beautiful country in and around Sedona.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Unfortunately public transit in most of the US is non-existant.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I stayed at Los Abrigados this past May.

The good news is that Los Abrigados has an excellent concierge desk. If you wish to arrange tours, they will be glad to assist. And quite often, arranged tours will pick you up and drop you off at the resort.

However, I would also seriously consider renting a car, for several reasons:
1. Tour companies are not so cheap. Although you may wish to take some tours (the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour comes to mind, since you won't be able to mimic that in a rental car), you will actually probably spend less if you rent a car and explore on your own.
2. The views from Los Abrigados are limited. To really enjoy the beauty of Sedona, you will want to get out and about.
3. Many of the places you might wish to visit are quite accessible by car.

Regarding markets: I remember that there was a Basha's and one other large supermarket (was it a Safeway?) along the main drag through town. These were too far to walk to from Los Abrigados.

Regarding hiking: two tips for you
1. Again, remember that the Los Abrigados concierge service is very good. You can stop at the concierge desk and discuss this with them. They will make suggestions, and have trail maps (copied from a Sedona hiking book) that they will provide to you.
2. Choice B is simply to go to Amazon.com and order a hiking book. Just do a search on "Sedona hikes." There are several choices. The book that everyone seems to like is the book by Magnum and Magnum. It's in its 9th edition.

I think you made a good choice in selecting a 2BR unit. We traded into Los Abrigados with an efficiency, so we were only able to get a 1BR. My impression is that the 1BR units are so-so. The 2BR units seemed much nicer.

There are a very limited number of units at Los Abrigados with red rock views. All you can do is ask.... We arrived early enough in the day that it allowed my wife time to complain about the first room we were offered. (It was too near the pool. She is a light sleeper, and any noise from the pool would have been a problem.) The staff at Los Abrigados tries hard to please, so we ended up with a room in the rear of the resort that had a red rock view.

Enjoy your stay. Sedona is wonderful.

Red Rox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good decision to rent the car. You'll use it for just about everything that you want to see and do in Sedona. There is a free (always empty) shuttle bus that runs from Uptown to the Gallery District and passes by LA and Tlaquepaque. However, you can walk to most of that area in less time than it takes for the shuttle to make the loop. The kitchens in most of the units at LA are basic, but if you have one of the larger ones, you'll have everything you need. Two of our favorite restaurants for good value are within walking distance. Those would be the Hideaway and Red Rock Barbeque. Also the best restaurant in Sedona is about 1/2 mile away at the Kings Ransom Hotel. It is the Elote Cafe. And in Uptown you'll find the Cowboy Club. that is the definitive restaurant in Sedona, a must for historic charm and western character. Be sure to take a ride up Oak Creek Canyon (in your car) and also go to visit the Chapel of the Holy Cross.The other 'must do' in Sedona is the Pink Jeep tour on the Broken Arrow trail. If you book it and tell them you're at LA, they'll pick you up and drop you off again.

heather

TUG Member
Reaction score
The car is rented!

Thank you all. You saved me from myself! :) I see that public transportation is a viable option where there is a dense population but Arizona obviously doesn't apply. So now we pick up a car at PHX for three weeks, two in Sedona, and one at the Sheraton (Desert Oasis I believe) in Phoenix before flying for a week at the Westin Mission Hills in Palm Springs. Timesharing works really well for me.

I have noted the tours, shuttle, restaurants, hiking suggestions (I'll order the book today), etc. and any more help on any aspect of our trip would be wonderful as we've never been to the western US before.

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have made the wise choice, Heather! The drive down to Scottsdale after your time in Sedona is fast & easy with your rental car. There is plenty to do around there as well and having a rental car will make it so much better. Even though Phoenix is very urban, public transit isn't very good as far as I've been able to tell.

I suggest you check out all the great suggestions for Sedona found at http://www.timeshareforums.com/forums/south-west-region-tx-nm-az-nv-ok/. There are several forum members who live in the area & they are very generous with information to help you plan your trip.

During your 2 weeks in Sedona take the time to see the Grand Canyon. Plan for a very long full day. Pack a picnic lunch and leave early. Also take the easy drive to Jerome, a fun old mining town not too far away. If you will be doing lots of hiking stop at the visitor center right away (located near the resort) & get an annual National Parks Pass. (I'm not sure how much they cost nowdays since I have the senior version that's good forever.) An annual pass gets your family into all the National Parks & monuments and allows you to park at all the Red Rock Hiking trail lots. Also, take a drive out to Enchantment Resort. The views are gorgeous.

For groceries, we have shopped at both Basha's & the Safeway a bit farther down the road.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am glad Red Rox chimed in, because, he lives in the area.

He also pointed out the Cowboy Club, which was the restaurant I would have recommended, but I couldn't remember the name. It is quite good and has a rustic/cowboy character to it.

Renting the car is the best choice. Sedona is a very beautiful place, I am sure you will have a great time. :)

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am kind of late in this very interesting conversation. Sedona without a car is beyond my imagination. Let alone the day trips, how do you get there from the Phoenix airport without hassle?

Grand Canyon is terrific: just returned from there two weeks ago. The most enjoyable part is an hour before sunset, drive east along the Colorado River to do a loop to return to I40. The sun from your back will light up the whole desert at your front in gold color - something I will never forget in my life.

heather

TUG Member
Reaction score
After hours searching for the best deal on a rental car, I cancelled my original booking and took a mid size car out of Phoenix (not at the airport, which was prohibitive!) for three weeks that cost far less than the one week rental we had in Phoenix for week 3 + the shuttle to Sedona. I'm now very happy that I consulted with you, have a car to get around, and saved money!

You're the best! to quote Tina Turner. Only a month until her concert in Montreal where I have fabulous seats!