• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Second Timeshare System

raptor78

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to 2012 All!!

So I managed to successfully get past my first and second timeshare purchases... Picked up a nice Grand Deserts and also a Smoky Mountains package on Wyndham -- Chose these due to maintenance fees, location and of course the Wyndham flexibility in terms of options overall...

The downside -- 1.2M points, already have them booked for the year and still looking for some additional travel dates...

While I continue to watch eBay and the likes for a steal on another low MF, high point package -- I have started broadening my horizon a little and started wondering about augmenting my portfolio with a different system...

I am avoiding Hilton and Marriott for the time being, as they are a little higher due to the ROFR these use... So I started looking at a few of the other systems, GeoHoliday, Monarch, Bluegreen, etc...

When looking at properties, quality of property generally comes first with location select coming in second -- and everything else after that...

Any experienced TS buyers out there care to recommend a second system worth spending my time researching? I can grab anyone and start reading and learning - I would like a suggestion or two to cut the list down to a manageable level of research time/learning... No rush, just want to start the learning process over with something different to hopefully enhance... Oh, strong international trade would be a plus too -- Like heading international a couple times a year and something that has a strong international network would be a plus (not just Mexico or Caribbean, but overseas would be nice)...

Any thoughts anyone might want to share?

Mike

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just bought into Shell Vacations Club - nothing international, but it does come with a membership in Interval International. The MF are high, but the quality is excellent and has daily tidying. I started a thread on the "All other timeshare systems" board a while back. I am happy that I got a cheap points package to explore with. I also own and enjoy Wyndham.

raptor78

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought into Shell Vacations Club - nothing international, but it does come with a membership in Interval International. The MF are high, but the quality is excellent and has daily tidying. I started a thread on the "All other timeshare systems" board a while back. I am happy that I got a cheap points package to explore with. I also own and enjoy Wyndham.

Thanks for the advice -- I'll look into SVC a little more -- I had historically avoided due to the high MF -- but if the properties are good that may justify the higher MF -- Since you own Wyndham as well, how do you think the properties, on average, compare to Wyndham?

Mike

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you necessarily need to be in a mini-system for your second "system"?

How many additional weeks of travel are you looking for?

If you're looking for 2-4, you might consider 1-2 good lockoffs that trade in RCI Weeks. Splitting and depositing separately, you could get 2-4 weeks (or more or less depending on what exchanges you're looking for).

If you're looking for 10+ more weeks, you might want to research Christmas Mountain Village UDIs. It's a unique ownership that lets you make (and deposit) quite a few reservations every year. There's a bit of a learning curve and it takes a bit of work to get the most out of it, but it can work very, very good.

Working through both Wyndham and RCI Weeks seem like they would really complement each other well. Wyndham is great for nearer term reservations and shorter reservations. RCI has much more diversity and a lower cost per night (if you own a resort with a low TPU cost), but you need more planning (to get the best resorts) and full week stays.

Most of my timesharing has been through this combination. I don't own Wyndham, but I rent from several different Wyndham VIPs. Most of my stays are RCI exchanges, but I supplement with Wyndham stays.