• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Schools post C19

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
How will schools enforce social distancing? Here’s one method:

Hangzhou kids wear social distancing hats upon return to school
Maybe we should all be wearing these?

To help remind kids of the importance of social distancing amid the coronavirus epidemic, one school in Hangzhou has its young students wearing some special headwear to class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
My kids will be sent home Day 1.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's always home schooling. I know 3 families doing that.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Don't they need a couple more props (facing fore and aft)?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
More along this line of thinking, what will school classrooms, hallways, and cafeterias look like? If we simply go back to what we were doing pre COVID 19, all those little petri dishes will continue to pass along viruses and germs of all types - just as they did pre COVID 19.

And then, consider buses. If social distancing minimums continue, schools are going to radically change their space utilization.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have heard things like:
- Continue online school at home possibly through 2021
- Split the day so fewer kids are at school at the same time
- Smaller class sizes
- Desks 6' apart
- Kids and teachers wear masks
- Social distancing marks on floor for lines

Has anyone heard anything else?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
My daughter's college came out with an update yesterday and stated that school / campus will be open for Fall semester. They will also be open for a late summer session, but with more restrictions.

Kurt

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have heard things like:
- Continue online school at home possibly through 2021
- Split the day so fewer kids are at school at the same time
- Smaller class sizes
- Desks 6' apart
- Kids and teachers wear masks
- Social distancing marks on floor for lines
These come at tremendous cost. More teachers or more space will be necessary. Or half the learning takes place. It is going to be a mess. Honestly, the Dept. of Ed better change some ironclad regulations on what must be taught, because there is not going to be enough money to adhere to the current mandates (federal and state) with the dollars available for the next couple years. Our school district has a crisis for next year's budget, and is considering some drastic cuts never done before. The tax revenue projections are dismal.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Patri - with respect to this:
These come at tremendous cost. More teachers or more space will be necessary. Or half the learning takes place. It is going to be a mess. Honestly, the Dept. of Ed better change some ironclad regulations on what must be taught, because there is not going to be enough money to adhere to the current mandates (federal and state) with the dollars available for the next couple years. Our school district has a crisis for next year's budget, and is considering some drastic cuts never done before. The tax revenue projections are dismal.

...are you hearing any specific possibilities?

I am curious as to how this plays out (school district budgets for next year) given the upheaval that defined this year.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many questions, few answers. Inquiring Teachers want to know so they can begin planning now while their is time.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Patri - with respect to this:
...are you hearing any specific possibilities?
I am curious as to how this plays out (school district budgets for next year) given the upheaval that defined this year.
I am referring to our district. We have never laid off teachers before. It is legal only in extreme situations and this one qualifies. If the governor mandates 12 kids per classroom, for example, we have no where to put them and no teachers to teach them, unless we go half-day for each student. That doubles the transportation costs. If we go every other day, the poor parents have to find daycare. The public thinks we saved money these past six weeks since the schools are closed. However, payroll stayed the same. We were required to pay staff as if the schools never closed. And the teachers are teaching virtually. We are providing free meals to students three days a week (whoever shows up for a takeout bag).
Dropping extracurricular activities is on the table. That would be awful. The community is riled up and working together to figure this out in the least painful way.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I feel really bad for kids post-covid who may be losing years of learning. They will not be prepared to be competitive in the market. I was speaking to a teenager the other day and he said he is teaching himself. He never meets online with a class or teacher. He has assignments and turns them in every Friday. He is a high achiever in AP classes. But how can kids be teaching themselves? One of his stressors is that it is hard to get help from teachers when he is confused with concepts and assignments. He will need to take the AP tests soon and he might not be prepared to pass the tests.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
He is a high achiever in AP classes. But how can kids be teaching themselves?
these kids will be fine. there are tons of online resources. But, they have to be disciplined and seek it out. Tell him to look on Khanacademy if he hasn't already for concept help.
It's the underachievers (low income, ADHD, non-motivated, etc.) kids that will greatly suffer.
Our school district just bought 1,500 tablets for online schooling. But, many teachers are not doing anything in person--just putting up work with a due date.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But, many teachers are not doing anything in person--just putting up work with a due date.

I have heard this from kids and families I work with. I had assumed the kids were meeting online in a classroom like Zoom and the teacher was still teaching. But apparently some teachers just give out assignments with a due date. They still need computers and tablets because they get the assignments online and turn in the assignments online, even if there is no class or teaching going on.