• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scan driver's license and send through email for Wyndham transfer?

asdfasdf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Wyndham timeshare through Ebay and the person working on the closing has asked me to scan my driver's license and my wife's and email them to her. Is this safe and normal? Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Not much on a drivers licence that can be used to rip you off. I think most states removed the drivers SSN from cards years ago.

A lot of the big timeshare companies require some form of ID to complete the transfer. You could also scan it and email it to them I suppose. Snail mail might be a little more secure since tampering with it is a crime and if used to rip you off, it could be considered mail fraud. Though someone finding your one email sent with it as an attachment out of the millions that are sent every day is pretty low.

asdfasdf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not much on a drivers licence that can be used to rip you off. I think most states removed the drivers SSN from cards years ago.

A lot of the big timeshare companies require some form of ID to complete the transfer. You could also scan it and email it to them I suppose. Snail mail might be a little more secure since tampering with it is a crime and if used to rip you off, it could be considered mail fraud. Though someone finding your one email sent with it as an attachment out of the millions that are sent every day is pretty low.

Thank you for your response!

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also had timeshare sellers ask for my Driver's License. I edit the picture to remove my birthdate, which reduces the chance of identity theft.

asdfasdf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also had timeshare sellers ask for my Driver's License. I edit the picture to remove my birthdate, which reduces the chance of identity theft.
Oh shoot...I already sent it lol. Thanks though!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask if you can FAX it as that is safer.

IMnsHO, the method of delivery is of distantly secondary concern. Of much greater concern is protection and limitation of the information within the document.

It is understandable and reasonable to request (indeed, require) some form of identification to verify that the individual is real and not just fictitious.
That being said, it is both unwise and unnecessary to provide excessive information that can be abused in the future in potential identity theft attempts.
Remember, you have absolutely no control over who might obtain the information in the future, even if the initial recipient is honest and of pure intent.

Sure, by all means send them a photocopy of your driver's license by mail or fax, but redact (black out) the license number and your date of birth first.
Tell them if they really need those unnecessary details, they can obtain them directly from the RMV (which certainly won't release that info either, btw).

They need to know that you really exist and have an address --- that's all. They don't need (and are certainly not entitled to) any irrelevant and unnecessary personal details or information beyond that which is required to verify your existence. Be smart --- protect your personal information.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Sometimes, in the past, when I rented a canoe, the outfitter wanted to hold onto my DL as security for the canoe... I 'spose so I won't drive off with it. I never saw any harm in it.

OTOH, with a DL# + b'date one could, theoretically, do interesting things with DMV records on the government website.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying a timeshare is usually a real estate transaction (some are RTU or trust). In the US RE transactions need to verify the buyer and seller due to patriot act and other kyc requirements.

Even if it is a $1 purchase it is still a RE transaction.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I faxed and mailed copies of our drivers licenses when we acquired a resale.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying a timeshare is usually a real estate transaction (some are RTU or trust). In the US RE transactions need to verify the buyer and seller due to patriot act and other kyc requirements.

All very true, but there is still no need to provide any more personal information than is necessary to fulfill identification requirements in the transaction.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
All very true, but there is still no need to provide any more personal information than is necessary to fulfill identification requirements in the transaction.
Agreed but a full unadulterated driver licence is likely to be adequate but not excessive.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I believe that date of birth is a secondary form of verification if there is a hit when they go through Patriot Act requirements. If there is a name match to the OFAC watch list, they use DOB to rule the person out as being the same as the person on the list.