• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scam?

TravelBum

Reaction score
Was contacted by a timeshare exit group. Went to their informational meeting. They informed us new laws went into effect in 2015 and timeshare owners were given an option for 30 months to convert their programs to pay as you go points and get rid of monthly maintenance fees. We were never notified of such a thing. The exit co. gave us the option to pay an exit fee (along with Wyndham’s numbers) to get us out of our timeshare and get rid of maintenance fees forever. They said Wyndham flagged our account and this was our only time to sell at a discounted rate. Seemed kind of pricey. We own Wyndham Bonnet Creek, only every other year. They said Wyndham is no longer honoring Ovations program (too many lawsuits) and it is bad anyway and if we try to sell on our own, we are responsible for 8 years for liability if new owners don’t keep up with maintence fees. So no great options. Seems crazy to me and I don’t see anything like this in the threads. Did Wyhdham ever offer this conversion program. If so, was there a time limit? We are just thinking about selling but don’t want to be rushed and obviously don’t want to pay money to get rid of it! This sounds like a grand scam! I don’t think I trust Wyndham either due to lies in the past.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was contacted by a timeshare exit group. Went to their informational meeting. They informed us new laws went into effect in 2015 and timeshare owners were given an option for 30 months to convert their programs to pay as you go points and get rid of monthly maintenance fees. We were never notified of such a thing. The exit co. gave us the option to pay an exit fee (along with Wyndham’s numbers) to get us out of our timeshare and get rid of maintenance fees forever. They said Wyndham flagged our account and this was our only time to sell at a discounted rate. Seemed kind of pricey. We own Wyndham Bonnet Creek, only every other year. They said Wyndham is no longer honoring Ovations program (too many lawsuits) and it is bad anyway and if we try to sell on our own, we are responsible for 8 years for liability if new owners don’t keep up with maintence fees. So no great options. Seems crazy to me and I don’t see anything like this in the threads. Did Wyhdham ever offer this conversion program. If so, was there a time limit? We are just thinking about selling but don’t want to be rushed and obviously don’t want to pay money to get rid of it! This sounds like a grand scam! I don’t think I trust Wyndham either due to lies in the past.

Normally I just wait for others to pick this apart, but what the heck. You are not serious are you? Don't waste ANY of your time with a timeshare exit weasel. Scam, scam, scam

Forget anything and everything they told you. - Now I will let others chime in

TravelBum

Reaction score
Normally I just wait for others to pick this apart, but what the heck. You are not serious are you? Don't waste ANY of your time with a timeshare exit weasel. Scam, scam, scam

Forget anything and everything they told you. - Now I will let others chime in

so everybody still has their normal maintence fees and mostly the program is the same? With having small points every other year I haven’t kept with all the changes and haven’t talked to a Wyndham rep in a long time. Was just making sure I didn’t miss anything significant. Thanks!

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
How long was the presenter's nose when he finished? These dinner meetings are nothing more than 3rd parties trying to separate you from your cash.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Ts exit groups are all scams.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I do appreciate hearing what their spiel is.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
so everybody still has their normal maintence fees and mostly the program is the same? With having small points every other year I haven’t kept with all the changes and haven’t talked to a Wyndham rep in a long time. Was just making sure I didn’t miss anything significant. Thanks!
Ovations is the best way for you to exit your ownership. If you purchased directly from Wyndham inquire about receiving some points to use as annual contracts receive 3 years of points with no MFs but I’m not sure how EOY contracts work. Maybe someone else will chime in with the answer on EOY contracts

Reaction score
Ovations is the best way for you to exit your ownership. If you purchased directly from Wyndham inquire about receiving some points to use as annual contracts receive 3 years of points with no MFs but I’m not sure how EOY contracts work. Maybe someone else will chime in with the answer on EOY contracts
If you call about Ovations, please be sure to ask about the Limited Edition program. That's where Wyndham will give you 3 years of points to use.

I'm not sure how it will work with EOY contracts either.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham will answer any questions you have with giving back your ownership. I would call to make sure program is available for your specific ownership.

If you’re unable to continue with your ownership, tell us about your situation online or feel free to contact one of our Ovation by Wyndham representatives at 855-312-9040 to learn more about the available options.

Wyndham Cares

Your painless, straightforward, uncomplicated guidebook for all things vacation ownership. Want to be a CLUB WYNDHAM Plus whiz? This is where you start.
Wyndham Cares
Ovation by Wyndham

Ovation by Wyndham
We want you to continue to get the most out of your ownership. If your vacation needs or lifestyle have changed, know that we’re here to help. For those who qualify, Ovation by Wyndham offers safe and secure options to exit your ownership with us.
Ovation by Wyndham provides credible ownership exit solutions
  • There are a number of options to suit your unique needs including Limited Edition and Tribute by Wyndham.
  • There are no hidden fees, costs or additional purchases required to participate.
  • Many of these exit solutions require that ownerships are paid off and maintenance fees are current.
  • You can exit your ownership in as little as 90 days.
  • Ovation by Wyndham is a hassle-free option that is offered directly to our owners.
See what current and former owners are saying about the Wyndham Cares and Ovation by Wyndham programs.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION

• •There is no obligation to accept.
  • •We will handle the process for you from beginning to end at no cost.
  • •An Ovation by Wyndham representative will walk you through available options.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember the 'Pathway Program' ploy used to sell more points. Those who bought more points for thousands to tens of thousands of dollars got screwed now that Ovation is an option.

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember the 'Pathway Program' ploy used to sell more points. Those who bought more points for thousands to tens of thousands of dollars got screwed now that Ovation is an option.
Not sure how that helps the OP or is relevant. I have used Ovations in the past, for resale contracts when I downsized. It is easy and straight forward.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
How so? Are they not receiving the Pathways benefit in their contracts?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought if Pathways was in a contract you get 20% of the purchase price back when exiting, I don’t get how Ovations screwed an owner with the Pathways benefit.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought if Pathways was in a contract you get 20% of the purchase price back when exiting, I don’t get how Ovations screwed an owner with the Pathways benefit.
The point @55plus was making is that Wyndham sold millions of points at $100+/1000 on this BS exit strategy for retail purchases only. Now Ovations is open to resale purchasers like me that only paid $0/1000 on the initial investment. Many were played as the fool with Pathways sales strategy when they could have bought resale was his intended point.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
The pathways program is no different then the new Privileges program. Just another way sales can manipulate many with half truths and Wyndham math only to sell more points. I wonder how many were hoodwinked into buying up to the new levels that would have been grandfathered in.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I haven't heard of anyone with pathways that have had it denied. I think most owners would prefer to get 20% of what they paid back rather than just a simple deed back or even 3 years worth of usage.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of anyone with pathways that have had it denied. I think most owners would prefer to get 20% of what they paid back rather than just a simple deed back or even 3 years worth of usage.
All these buyers paid developer price only to receive 20% of initial investment. Not much now knowing that resale deeds qualify for Ovations. Resale deeds could have been bought at a 99% discount over paying developer costs. Unlike Wyndham math these numbers add up.
Who would you say is better off?
1.) A buyer that buys a resale a deed for nothing and gives back Ovations to receive nothing at a $0 cost.
2.) A buyer that pays 30K buying developer only to receive the 20% or 6k from Pathways netting a 24k cost?

Last edited:

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

So many lies.

1. Went to their informational meeting. —- this was your one and only mistake. Don’t go to these ever again. If they are calling you, it’s a scam.

2. They informed us new laws went into effect in 2015 and timeshare owners were given an option for 30 months to convert their programs to pay as you go points and get rid of monthly maintenance fees. —- There was no such program and no law changes like that. If there were, you would have found threads about it during your searches.

3. We were never notified of such a thing. —- Because it doesn’t exist.

4. The exit co. gave us the option to pay an exit fee (along with Wyndham’s numbers) to get us out of our timeshare and get rid of maintenance fees forever. —- never pay upfront. If you want, I can tell them what they can do with their “options”. I’ll do it for free. No charge.

5. They said Wyndham flagged our account and this was our only time to sell at a discounted rate. —- they know nothing of your account. Why would Wyndham give a random exit company that kind of information? You’re account is not “flagged”.

6. They said Wyndham is no longer honoring Ovations program (too many lawsuits) and it is bad anyway. —- there are still people using Ovation. They have not stopped “honoring” them. There is nothing to “honor” anyway. Wyndham was never obligated to take your timeshare. It’s always been at their discretion. I’ve only heard of a couple people get turned down. They were trying to turn in weeks at resorts Wyndham didn’t sell or manage. If Ovations started rejecting requests, you would hear about it here or on the Wyndham Facebook groups. People love to complain. If there were lawsuits regarding Ovation, you’d hear it here or the Facebooks groups as well. I also have not heard anything bad about it. I personally gave back a small contract that wasn’t worth selling. From the time I picked up the phone, to the time it was gone from my account was four weeks. Even if that exit company was legit, they wouldn’t be able to beat that. It would take months for anyone to get your contract out of your name.

7. if we try to sell on our own, we are responsible for 8 years for liability if new owners don’t keep up with maintence fees. —- 100% BS. Once it’s transferred in the owners name, you’re not responsible for the maintenance fees. It’s a common scare tactic that is used by these exit companies. I hear it over and over on the Facebook groups. The exit companies use that lie a lot because it works. It’s 100% a lie.

8. This sounds like a grand scam! - that’s because it is. You sir, have a very well tuned bulls*** detector. Good call on listening to it.

I hope this helps.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I don't think anyone is saying that during the era of Pathways, that a prospective owner (let's say at the below-VIP level) who knew about both retail and resale pricing and benefits before purchasing from Wyndham would somehow come out ahead buying retail even with Pathways. That calculation for non-VIP aspirants always comes out on the resale side, regardless of the exit options. But for the probably 99% of prospects who had no idea a resale market existed and walked out having purchased a retail contract with Pathways written into it, it's a valid deal. It seems like in the vast majority of cases, a Pathways payoff would be a better deal than the comparable 3 years' points via Limited Edition today. The fact that Wyndham will now oh-so-benevolently take back most resale contracts for free doesn't change the Pathways deal they got. The vast majority of purchasers weren't sold Pathways as an alternative to a resale purchase because they very likely had no idea resale was an option. Pathways was just one more selling point the salespeople used to make a sale.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
If you call about Ovations, please be sure to ask about the Limited Edition program. That's where Wyndham will give you 3 years of points to use.

I'm not sure how it will work with EOY contracts either.

And @Braindead

The Limited edition program, is the program that gives owners three years worth of points when they turn in their contracts. EOY year contracts do not qualify, even if bought direct from Wyndham. They still qualify for Ovation though. They can turn it in easily but they won’t get the three years worth of points.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
All these buyers paid developer price only to receive 20% of initial investment. Not much now knowing that resale deeds qualify for Ovations. Resale deeds could have been bought at a 99% discount over paying developer costs. Unlike Wyndham math these numbers add up.
Who would you say is better off?
1.) A buyer that buys a resale a deed for nothing and gives back Ovations to receive nothing at a $0 cost.
2.) A buyer that pays 30K buying developer only to receive the 20% or 6k from Pathways netting a 14k cost?
A buyer at that time had a choice. I don't think having Pathways would have persuaded those looking to buy a resale for nothing with the assumption that they could resell it for nothing (because ovations didn't exist), to buy retail because pathways was available. Those looking to buy retail then are like those that do it now. They either didn't know or trust the resale market, or are looking for VIP eligible points.

My comment was that Pathways hasn't proven to be a scam (so far) and that even though the contracts have the statement that the program could be discontinued and that Wyndham was not guaranteeing that they would buy back at all, they have indeed been honoring those contracts and paying the 20%.