• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SBP Newby usage question

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I have no idea why, but I recently picked up a (free) 1BR SBP, I have a vague notion of trading into Maui and/or Kauai. This is a platinum (correct term?) week.

If I am interested in Westin Kaanapali for Jan or Feb 2014, when should I deposit this week in II? Late Jan and then modify the request to include Feb? II rep I spoke with today said exchange request priority is not affected by modifying a request- is this correct?

II rep also said there is no difference in trade power between depositing now vs. last minute. I believe I have 2.5 years to use the week after I deposit. So should I wait until May or June to deposit, so that my II deposit is good until Nov-Dec 2014, extending its lifespan if for some reason we don't get the Maui exchange or change our minds and decide to book something else.

Thnx. Sorry to be a newb.

H

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
High season at SBP is called Gold Plus - then gold - then silver.

The expiration date is based on the usage year, not when you deposit it, so you don't get any extra mileage by depositing it late. You have up to 30 mos. to use an exchange assignment - all exchange assignments expire on June 30th two years after the use year.

So for example, right now with a floating 2012 usage, I can put in a request for dates through Dec. 31, 2013, so in a month, I could request through Jan. 2014, and in 2 mos. through Feb. 2014.

The earlier you deposit and the earlier you put in your on-going request, the more likely you are to get the exchange.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
High season at SBP is called Gold Plus - then gold - then silver.

The expiration date is based on the usage year, not when you deposit it, so you don't get any extra mileage by depositing it late. You have up to 30 mos. to use an exchange assignment - all exchange assignments expire on June 30th two years after the use year.

The earlier you deposit and the earlier you put in your on-going request, the more likely you are to get the exchange.

Was II rep correct when she said I can modify exchange request with no change in exchange priority? So I could make the exchange request say Jan 15 of this year and every 2 weeks extend the request by 2 weeks until I get to the end of my request window?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Was II rep correct when she said I can modify exchange request with no change in exchange priority? So I could make the exchange request say Jan 15 of this year and every 2 weeks extend the request by 2 weeks until I get to the end of my request window?

Yes - you would just add new weeks to the request.

See my post above - I checked my own II acct. and added some specific dates.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Thanks, Denise!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
My pleasure! Go get 'em! :hi:

(I am assuming you already read the II FAQ?)

Yes, have read. But still absorbing all the strategic details...

H

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One more note - Kauai is a much easier exchange, so if you put Kauai and Maui in your request, you are much more likely to get Kauai first. If you really want Maui, then only request Maui at first. You can always add Kauai, if you don't get Maui.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year, we were able to book Maui and then add Princeville as an XYZ trade --- it really worked great for us.

One of the things about SBP is that you have to pay MFs before being able to deposit. Otherwise, II cannot verify that you have a week available. And it can be confusing because your week is sitting there looking like it can be traded. But it is not available except to "play" with for immediate exchanges.

Hope you have fun! I have had a great time with mine. (4 weeks in Maui and 1 in Kauai and another at the Marriott in Aruba --- not just me. but my staff, also).

elaine

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Ok, so set up the new II acct yesterday. Today called Starwood to deposit and I can see the week is there.

Tonight I went to set up a request for early Jan 2014.

However, I hit a snag, II insists I upgrade my membership. I signed up for a single year regular membership. I assume the issue is that my membership will be expired at the time of my request? However, II is only offering me gold or platinum membership, is there no option for a multi-year regular II membership?

So to use this single week will cost me: MF + 2 years II membership ~$180 + exchange fee $115?? Irked by this.

H

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's correct, your membership must be active for the time you are requesting. You can add another year of regular membership. If you can't get it online, just call.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Interval usually has some kind of promo going on through which you can get two years of membership for the cost of one year. Perhaps someone else will chime in with the current deal, code number, etc.

If you are looking to trade into Westin Ka'anapali two years hence (Jan - Feb 2014), there is no urgency. But if you have already joined Interval, you will need two years of additional membership so you don't expire before Feb 2014. So I would be patient for a few months (if necessary) to get the cheaper membership, and only then deposit my week and set my request.

The Starwood preference in Interval gives you an extremely high probability of success on your desired trade, excepting Presidents' week.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Interval usually has some kind of promo going on through which you can get two years of membership for the cost of one year. Perhaps someone else will chime in with the current deal, code number, etc.

If you are looking to trade into Westin Ka'anapali two years hence (Jan - Feb 2014), there is no urgency. But if you have already joined Interval, you will need two years of additional membership so you don't expire before Feb 2014. So I would be patient for a few months (if necessary) to get the cheaper membership, and only then deposit my week and set my request.

The Starwood preference in Interval gives you an extremely high probability of success on your desired trade, excepting Presidents' week.

Too late. I have already set up the II membership and deposited the week. Lesson learned. @@!!xx@!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too late. I have already set up the II membership and deposited the week. Lesson learned. @@!!xx@!

I think that getting on the list early was well worth paying a year's membership fee. It's what I would have done. It doesn't do you any good to save on the membership fee, if you don't get the trade. This way you know your request is in the queue well before the deposits come it. And yes, Starwood can and does do bulk space banking more than 12 mos. out.

When you add membership time, see if you can get 2 years for the price of one. Try the codes in the sticky, and if none of them work call the Starwood desk at II and ask. Don't be shy about hanging up and calling back - one Rep may be more willing or able to help than another.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Boy, my II experience so far trying to organize using this Starwood week is way more difficult that anything I've ever experienced using my Hyatt week.

So after a 20 minute hold, I got thru to a Starwood rep. Extended my II membership by 3 years. No specials were available and it was honestly not worth my time to hang up and call back.

While I had rep on the phone, decided to set up the exchange request. Was told I could only set up a request 18 months in advance. Told her I believed it was actually 2 years, she said no it wasn't but she'd "set it up anyway." Which is correct, 18 or 24 months?

Then after I hung up, I logged into my account. I can see the exchange request. But under the "deposits" tab, it says I have no deposits. I have called Starwood already to deposit the week. If there is an exchange request, does that somehow change the status of my week, no longer labeling it as a "deposit"? Or is there a problem with my account?

I am now 10 minutes into my 2nd hold with II, maybe I can get this question answered directly from II. Or maybe TUG will be faster!

H

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Ok, after the second 20 minute hold, I got Misty on the line, who seemed particularly determined to not be helpful in any way.

However, I did manage to pry out of her the information that the deposits do not show up as deposits in my II account. Starwood keeps track of them. Now I finally understand the crazy issue I've read other posts as to it being impossible to keep track of Starwood deposits in II.

Misty was so unhelpful that I asked to speak to a supervisor (she told me that it was her job to book Starwood exchanges, not to answer questions about use of Starwood units in II!), with the intention of giving feedback on my customer service experience. I was told that none were available, they would have to call me back!

H

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
However, I did manage to pry out of her the information that the deposits do not show up as deposits in my II account. Starwood keeps track of them. Now I finally understand the crazy issue I've read other posts as to it being impossible to keep track of Starwood deposits in II.

Yep - that is exactly the issue that makes II so frustrating.

And no, you can never talk to a supervisor - they will call you back within 72 hours - maybe.

One more question - did you remember to tell them that you didn't want your check-in date to default to the Thursday before (if you don't.)

I understand why you called today, but once you get the hang of things, it is more efficient and less expensive to do your own transactions online - and faster! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Yep - that is exactly the issue that makes II so frustrating.

And no, you can never talk to a supervisor - they will call you back within 72 hours - maybe.

One more question - did you remember to tell them that you didn't want your check-in date to default to the Thursday before (if you don't.)

I understand why you called today, but once you get the hang of things, it is more efficient and less expensive to do your own transactions online - and faster! :rolleyes:

I don't really care which week I get in my range, it's ok to default to the Thursday prior.

I generally use the website, totally agree it is generally more efficient...

H

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, I hit a snag, II insists I upgrade my membership. I signed up for a single year regular membership. I assume the issue is that my membership will be expired at the time of my request? However, II is only offering me gold or platinum membership, is there no option for a multi-year regular II membership?

Did II require you have to a separate II account for the Starwood account or were you able to upgrade your current account associated with your Hyatt account?

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Did II require you have to a separate II account for the Starwood account or were you able to upgrade your current account associated with your Hyatt account?

Unfortunately the SBP requires a separate membership.

The Hyatt is definitely more cost effective.

My cost for a 1BR Hyatt trade is about $600/week, not including the XYZ. This SBP comes out to about $800/wk (again not including the XYZ)- or $770 if I am trading into a Starwood.

For a 2BR, they are pretty equal, about $800 each.

H