• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

San Francisco Pulse Studio by Marriott Vacation Club Review

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
Today I am reviewing the studio unit of the San Francisco Pulse by Marriott Vacation Club in San Francisco, California. The property is located in the Fisherman's wharf area of San Francisco. This is the first Pulse property that I have stayed in.

The studio is really a hotel room rather than a traditional timeshare property... It is the Marriott Vacation Club's version of a city experience with high quality in the rooms. The room itself could sleep 4 people as there is a pull out sofa. There is a desk area for working (where I am writing this review).

The property has a courtyard area in the middle on the first floor and a simple fitness center. It is in a good location for exploring San Francisco and especially fisherman's wharf.

San Francisco Pulse Studio by Marriott Vacation Club Review

Map of all my timeshare reviews

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
Nice review. Looks like a great location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Great location but a poor usage of Abound points IMHO.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Not a fan of Fisherman's Wharf. Too touristy. Which is why the tourists love it. :cool:

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great location but a poor usage of Abound points IMHO.
Yep... Better to use Bonvoy points in hindsight... Only good news is the points came from a presentation.

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just stayed at Pulse SF for the first time for 3 nights in December even though we only live 100 miles away. It was wonderful. The day we drove over, I read the reviews about asking for an interior room but it was too late. They did put us in one as probably it was a slow time of the year. We never heard any noise at all. It is an easy walk to North Beach which is the Italian section of town and we ate there every day! Such great food and an unbelievable bakery! There is also a muni that will take you pretty much all over the city so you don't have to drive and find parking as you explore. (There is an app for it under SF Muni). The staff and front desk people were all so friendly and accommodating. We won't hesitate to go back to this location whenever we are in the city now.

Jan

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Would be a much better value proposition if parking was included (i.e. the SF Ritz)

If you’re only staying a couple of nights and if you’re not driving a car, SF Pulse isn’t necessarily a poor use of points. If you’re staying a full week and if you’re driving a car, the cost in points for a week is horrendous for just a hotel room and virtually no amenities. Add in the $65/night for a car and the fact it’s not easy to get there using public transit and it’s a deal we’ll never take.
The one good thing SF Pulse has going is a fantastic location. You can easily walk to the Trolley stop, which runs all the way to Castro street. The North Beach and Fisherman’s Warf all both short walks. The Big Bus hop on/hop off is a short walk, letting you hit all the cities highlights including Golden Gate Park.
IMHO, if it’s short stay with either a carry on bag or back pack and NO car, this can work so long as you can stomach the expense in Abound points for a week. The week we were there we double booked as we had a n expiring studio unit. We were staying at the Ritz but I wanted to see what the Pulse was like. We love SF and can’t guarantee the Ritz is always available, although SF is the one Ritz location with good availability for MVC owners.
will say that all the guests we saw at the resort were very happy, excited and enjoying themselves. We had an owner update booked at The Pulse. It’s the only time we’ve ever been let go quickly and without even a presentation because all the reps were busy closing sales. It gave the appearance of a popular location with guests wanting to be there. Were these first time buyers who really hadn’t ever seen a timeshare resort? That would be my guess. Which makes me wonder, will they use their ownership to nearly always stay in SF or will they branch out and discover what the larger, more elegant timeshare resorts are like? My bet is the crowd that buys at the Pulse properties are more likely to be fine with studio units elsewhere and will prefer city locations. IOW, a different demographic than your traditional timeshare owner.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at SF Pulse last month.
My best 'surprise' was that I LOVED the location.
I've stayed at several other SF timeshares, always near Union Square or Nob Hill.
Apart from the actual Fisherman's Wharf area, it has the feel of neighborhood, not big city.

I do think they could provide a small microwave, on request, to heat up restaurant 'left-overs'.

I had requested a room with two beds, thinking someone would join me.
Next time, the king with fold out would do fine. That room has a small table, something I missed in the 2 doubles room.

City was still showing signs of the major clean up.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you’re only staying a couple of nights and if you’re not driving a car, SF Pulse isn’t necessarily a poor use of points...
Indeed. Sun-Thu it comes out to $236.24/nt for an Urban View (using the 2024 Abound Point MFs of $0.78748/point) which isn't bad at all for SF. On the weekend though, I'd stay in a hotel.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
I for one am thankful they charge an outrageous amount for parking. It is in the middle of a huge city. You don't need a car there.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you’re only staying a couple of nights and if you’re not driving a car, SF Pulse isn’t necessarily a poor use of points. If you’re staying a full week and if you’re driving a car, the cost in points for a week is horrendous for just a hotel room and virtually no amenities. Add in the $65/night for a car and the fact it’s not easy to get there using public transit and it’s a deal we’ll never take.
The one good thing SF Pulse has going is a fantastic location. You can easily walk to the Trolley stop, which runs all the way to Castro street. The North Beach and Fisherman’s Warf all both short walks. The Big Bus hop on/hop off is a short walk, letting you hit all the cities highlights including Golden Gate Park.
IMHO, if it’s short stay with either a carry on bag or back pack and NO car, this can work so long as you can stomach the expense in Abound points for a week. The week we were there we double booked as we had a n expiring studio unit. We were staying at the Ritz but I wanted to see what the Pulse was like. We love SF and can’t guarantee the Ritz is always available, although SF is the one Ritz location with good availability for MVC owners.
will say that all the guests we saw at the resort were very happy, excited and enjoying themselves. We had an owner update booked at The Pulse. It’s the only time we’ve ever been let go quickly and without even a presentation because all the reps were busy closing sales. It gave the appearance of a popular location with guests wanting to be there. Were these first time buyers who really hadn’t ever seen a timeshare resort? That would be my guess. Which makes me wonder, will they use their ownership to nearly always stay in SF or will they branch out and discover what the larger, more elegant timeshare resorts are like? My bet is the crowd that buys at the Pulse properties are more likely to be fine with studio units elsewhere and will prefer city locations. IOW, a different demographic than your traditional timeshare owner.
I'm looking forward to staying at the Ritz this weekend... I wanted to compare the costs and the value... I like the idea of a full amenity location more than the pulse... I thought about street parking, but that is always a challenge in San Francisco. The trolley is a good option.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I stayed at SF Pulse last month.
My best 'surprise' was that I LOVED the location.
I've stayed at several other SF timeshares, always near Union Square or Nob Hill.
Apart from the actual Fisherman's Wharf area, it has the feel of neighborhood, not big city.

I do think they could provide a small microwave, on request, to heat up restaurant 'left-overs'.

I had requested a room with two beds, thinking someone would join me.
Next time, the king with fold out would do fine. That room has a small table, something I missed in the 2 doubles room.

City was still showing signs of the major clean up.
The location is hard to beat. And the transportation on Muni is good enough for almost any option. I had my car since I live relatively close by. I agree with a lot of people, that you don't need a car for San Francisco.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I'm looking forward to staying at the Ritz this weekend... I wanted to compare the costs and the value... I like the idea of a full amenity location more than the pulse... I thought about street parking, but that is always a challenge in San Francisco. The trolley is a good option.
We really enjoy the Ritz and the service, especially the weekend coffee service. The location is great with a trolley stop right outside the doors. There also a half block from a BART stop. For around $11 you can take the BART from SFO right to the Ritz. Using a Clipper card we spent maybe another $40 each getting around, including taking the ferry over to Salsalito for an afternoon.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We really enjoy the Ritz and the service, especially the weekend coffee service. The location is great with a trolley stop right outside the doors. There also a half block from a BART stop. For around $11 you can take the BART from SFO right to the Ritz. Using a Clipper card we spent maybe another $40 each getting around, including taking the ferry over to Salsalito for an afternoon.
I'll be doing a review... My kids live in San Francisco, so we are going to make an evening at the Ritz enjoying the city... Probably push the video a week from this Saturday.