• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

San Antonio in December -- what to do?

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We want to visit the Riverwalk and ride the boat in the Christmas season; saw the Alamo the one other time we were there a few years back.

What other interesting things to visit -- we will have a rental car. Any websites that are especially good will be welcome. Thank you in advance

KevJan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a family reunion in San Antonio for Thanksgiving 1998. The day after we all went to Fiesta Texas for the day and had a wonderful time. The Christmas decorations were first rate as well as all the entertainment. In case you don't know, Fiesta Texas is an amusement park. For all I know it may not even still be there.

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
KevJan said:
We had a family reunion in San Antonio for Thanksgiving 1998. The day after we all went to Fiesta Texas for the day and had a wonderful time. The Christmas decorations were first rate as well as all the entertainment. In case you don't know, Fiesta Texas is an amusement park. For all I know it may not even still be there.

It's still there!!

You might want to visit the Missions. I think there is 4 of them starting with the Alamo. One of them still has church services. One time when we were there, there was a wedding going on. Everything should be decorated with Christmas lights along the Riverwalk.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to El Mercado to look around at the shops and galleries, and have dinner at Mi Tierra's. You can go to the King William district if you like looking at old houses; while there, you might check out the Blue Star art studios, and the Pioneer Mill (an old flour mill). They have a restored house that used to be the owner's residence, with a restaurant that serves a good brunch. The best mexican food in town is in a questionable neighborhood; The restaurant is called Los Barrios. Also, there's a great restaurant in the La Mansione del
Rio hotel called Los Canarios, fine continental cuisine right on the riverwalk. Pricey but good. The Buckhorn museum near the Alamo is fun to walk through, the whole family will enjoy it. Check winter hours at Sea World and Fiesta Texas if you like that sort of stuff. Across from the Rivercenter mall is the oldest deli in town, called Shilo's, where they brew their own root beer and serve German style deli food. If you want a day trip, you can drive up to Gruene Texas (near New Braunfels). There's a big outlet mall a little further up the road near San Marcos, if you enjoy shopping. Also, they opened a new ultra high end shopping center at La Cantera (neimann marcus and all that sorta stuff). Of course, there are many fine golf courses in town, and the weather is usually perfect that time of year for golf. Let me know if you want me to check into discounted green fees for you (just send me an email). I think the Tower of the Americas is closed for repairs. That would be too bad, as that's your source for a great view of the city. I know I read about a week ago that 4 construction workers spent about 10 hours stuck in the glass elevator that runs up the outside of the tower, that musta been fun. Course, if you like B-Ball, you can catch a spurs game. The Imax theatre is in the Rivercenter mall, they'll be showing special IMAX formatted films, 3-D films, and even 1 or 2 regular movies on Imax. They may have Polar Express in 3-D. There's a comedy club next door to it. Also, the Majestic Theatre is a great, restored theatre that shows broadway type shows and music concerts, you'll want to check their schedule.

You've picked the best time of year to visit. have fun, and bring lots of money please. Don't leave until you've spent it in the local economy. :D

snippet

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agre with PA's list and wanted to add a few more.

"A Tuna Christmas" opens Monday at the Majestic Theater (you have to see this awesome downtown theater) and is a lot of fun.

There is an exhibit called "St Peter and the Vatican: The Legacy of the Popes" at the Convention Center (downtown) that is receiving great reviews. It is open until the first week in January.

The Windcrest Light Up is a great way to spend an evening driving through the community looking at Christmas decorations. It's one of the most popular places to go for that holiday spirit.

SeaWorld and Fiesta Texas are both closed for the winter. I wish they would stay open in the off season - they both had great Christmas attractions in years past.