• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sales Presentation Tactics

Reaction score
Staying with family at MFC later this week (17-24 Feb) and, depending on their incentive will probably listen to the sales presentation. Other than "NO", any good comebacks to counter their "must buy now" sales pitch?

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

Ask about draconian restrictions on the resale of "Trust" points....

Can only be used less than 60 days out...
Education and ROFR fee for the purchaser etc....

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask them about the citizens demanding that timeshares be Property Taxed higher to help with St. Thomas' soaring debt and to help cover the withdrawal of HOVENSA from St. Thomas.

With MFC, I'm not so much worried about soaring Maintenance Fees, but soaring Property Taxes which STILL haven't been collected from 2009 and on.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Staying with family at MFC later this week (17-24 Feb) and, depending on their incentive will probably listen to the sales presentation. Other than "NO", any good comebacks to counter their "must buy now" sales pitch?

For you I would recommend... "oh yea?" Use it early and often.

Hey, if you are going into a sales presentation carrying an attitude and armed with good comebacks, then do everyone a favor and stay home....

:annoyed:

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Watch a movie on your cell phone while ignoring the salesman completely.

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bring a small hand-held recording device, and point it at him.

Or take copious notes on a steno pad, and early on, tell him that you want him to read them over and SIGN them when you are all done. Look interested, write a LOT . . .

Remind him that although HE is in a suit and YOU are in shorts, you knew this was going to be a business meeting, so you cam researched and well-prepared.

INSIST on being shown around the property that you hope to STAY AT eventually, even though his opening line might say that they do NOT sell real estate anymore, buy only POINTS.

Devoutly tell the scheduler that your religion forbids you from being in the presence of known or suspected frauds and liars.

Or - tell the people at the desk - LOUDLY - that you would rather dig out an eye using a rusty spoon than sit through one of these - that NO amount of points, credits, or cheap beach towels will change you mind. Then go get ice cream.

Tell him you are on TUG every single day - and do no let hmi feign ignorance about TUG.

Mamianka

toddc2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Club
Another Viewpoint

At the risk of being scolded, I think the sales guys have a job to do and my interaction with them has always been good. Granted, I actually paid the developer price at MOC so maybe they are nice to me out of pity. But nobody forces me to go back to the presentation.

On the positive side, I get a couple of nice rounds of golf every year in a place where golf isn't exactly cheap. I actually like the sales guy and it is good to catch up, see what is new with the property, etc.

I am pretty clear up front that I'm not really in the market but would like to get an update. I listen politely, ask a few questions, take the tour, and wrap the meeting up to respect both of our schedules. I guess if I were feeling defensive of the meeting I would choose not to go.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Nope, no comebacks, not unless you want to get into a long drawn-out process where you both end up bad-tempered and feeling like you've completely wasted your time.

Go in saying immediately that you will not be making a final decision today about whether to buy or not, because that's how you approach every purchase in your life which requires an ongoing financial commitment. Tell them you will leave there and do whatever further research you need to do within the time frame they give you before the purchase terms expire, and you will let them know your decision before the expiration. If they then begin their presentation by saying that you will have to give an answer before you leave there today, stop them by saying if that's the case, your answer will be "no."

You'll know soon enough if staying means that you're going to be bombarded with ridiculousness from an antagonistic fool who's going to make you angry and defensive, or, if you might have a shot at actually learning something from a knowledgeable rep who wants you to be happy with what s/he's trying to sell you. Then it's your informed choice whether to stay, whether any gifts will be worth the upcoming experience. There isn't any law that says you must ask questions during these things. If you stay knowing that s/he will demand a yes/no answer at the end, just sit quiet throughout and then say, "no, thanks."

Don't misunderstand, I don't have a problem with going to presentations just for the gifts. But I think that laying all the cards on the table at the outset, setting the limits that you both will enforce, makes the entire process at least a fair fight. It's not any more fair for you to waste the rep's time than it is for him/her to waste yours.

Numismatist has brought up a very good question for your presentation. The property tax issue at MFC could be a nightmare in the coming years depending on how things progress. Maui timeshares faced the possibility of a similar exorbitant tax rate hike that was eventually not enacted, but it made for a fairly long period of uncertainty for owners there. Hopefully your rep will at least acknowledge that it's a concern for you, but maybe you'll get lucky and s/he'll be able to actually delve into it in detail.

Puck's question is a good one, too. Recent reports are that a resale market for DC Points is being developed by Marriott, and, the usage restrictions of re-sold DC Points may not be as "draconian" as we first surmised. But there hasn't been any official communication from Marriott about either subject. As well, the costs associated with re-selling DC Points could be prohibitively high for both seller and buyer - it would be nice to get official confirmation from Marriott detailing which of the many costs stipulated in the governing docs will be strictly enforced and which will not be.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. :)

Last edited:

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Other than "NO", any good comebacks to counter their "must buy now" sales pitch?
No.

Anything you say beyond that gives them objections to counter. They've heard every objection and know the lies that will remove each objection.

Just continually tell them that you're not interested and that you're only there for the freebie. Let them know that you intend to leave when your 60/90 minutes is up, but that you're willing to let him move on to a better prospect whenever he is willing.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
At the risk of being scolded, I think the sales guys have a job to do and my interaction with them has always been good. Granted, I actually paid the developer price at MOC so maybe they are nice to me out of pity. But nobody forces me to go back to the presentation.

On the positive side, I get a couple of nice rounds of golf every year in a place where golf isn't exactly cheap. I actually like the sales guy and it is good to catch up, see what is new with the property, etc.

I am pretty clear up front that I'm not really in the market but would like to get an update. I listen politely, ask a few questions, take the tour, and wrap the meeting up to respect both of our schedules. I guess if I were feeling defensive of the meeting I would choose not to go.

Toddc2, thank you for your perspective. I like this approach as well. We try to learn something whenever we participate in a presentation. Marriott presentations in particular have always been done professionally. I am honest that we already own and don't have the capacity to add to our portfilio, but appreciate the opportunity to see what they have to offer.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Toddc2, thank you for your perspective. I like this approach as well. We try to learn something whenever we participate in a presentation. Marriott presentations in particular have always been done professionally. I am honest that we already own and don't have the capacity to add to our portfilio, but appreciate the opportunity to see what they have to offer.

This is basically the tactic we take....we're always interested in what the latest offer/resort/deal is, and because Marriott is usual civil, and the goodies are usually, well, good, we've done them on almost all of our Marriott trips. The quickest one was in Aruba and we took our 10 month old--that certainly made things shorter! (We mostly just wanted to check out the resort, as we were staying at La Cabana at the time....)

I don't understand the attitude that being rude/aggressive/insulting to someone on a tour will lead to a sale. This is what happened to us on a Groupo Mayan tour in May--the more aggressive and rude the salesman got, the more stubborn we became about not buying. At least with Marriott, they take a "no" well, usually, in the hopes you might come back and buy another day....

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This is basically the tactic we take....we're always interested in what the latest offer/resort/deal is, and because Marriott is usual civil, and the goodies are usually, well, good, we've done them on almost all of our Marriott trips. The quickest one was in Aruba and we took our 10 month old--that certainly made things shorter! (We mostly just wanted to check out the resort, as we were staying at La Cabana at the time....)

I don't understand the attitude that being rude/aggressive/insulting to someone on a tour will lead to a sale. This is what happened to us on a Groupo Mayan tour in May--the more aggressive and rude the salesman got, the more stubborn we became about not buying. At least with Marriott, they take a "no" well, usually, in the hopes you might come back and buy another day....

Me four. The only place I wouldn't do a presentation for all the tea in China is Ko 'Olina because of the horror stories on TUG about sales presentations there. I'd consider doing one at any of the other properties but we already know we're not in the market for any more timeshares right now, so we don't want to waste their time or ours. The ones we have sat through with the rep who sold us our Weeks weren't anything like any of the unpleasant experiences that TUGgers report, which probably is why I say that anybody who goes to them should start out as reasonable as they expect the rep to be.

If you're there for the gifts and don't intend to buy, then say so to give the rep a chance to know what his/her chances are for success. If the rep gives you an attitude when you say you're there for the gifts, that's your chance to decide if the gifts are worth staying for or if you should just leave. But if you're there to learn whether the rep has something new to teach you, and you're upfront about not planning on buying anything, it doesn't have to be the most unpleasant hour or two of your life.

What I don't understand are the folks who go with gleeful anticipation of catching the rep with an, "Ah HA! GOTCHA!" moment every five minutes, by asking questions that the sales reps aren't equipped to answer. If you think the sales rep is as educated about the finer points of the entire DC as Marriott's legal department should be, then you're expecting too much IMO. If you think the sales rep will be able to tell you all the details about how the Owner Services reps and the VOA's can access inventory to satisfy your reservation requests, then again you're expecting too much IMO. If you think the sales reps should be able to recite the last four months' worth of statistics for Marriott exchanges within II compared to within the DC, you're expecting too much IMO. etc.etc.etc...

If you go in determined to ask reps all these kinds of questions just to bait them into telling "lies" that you can't wait to post to TUG, to "prove" exactly how low Marriott's credibility has sunk, I don't understand that at all. We owners are the ones who stand to suffer the most if Marriott's new system damages the company's credibility. What's the point in baiting the sales reps to that extreme?

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it drives the salespeople crazy when you do not interact or respond to them. I would fold my arms, stare the salesperson right in the eye and not say anything. The longer you remain quiet and more frustrated and annoyed they will become. They are used to countering your objections so if you just sit there and stare at them they will want you to leave quickly

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score

There are folks who have had the good fortune - probably due to location - to only have good, polite reps. And there are those of us who have had MORE than our share of pushy, argumentative fast-talkers. We come in calm, polite, friendly - our usual natures - and start to seethe in minutes, because their shell-game attempts are infuriating. We now tell folks up front that we have NO interest in attending any sales meeting, for any amount of points or money, and that if they repeatedly call us, we will unplug our phones (yes, have had to do that). Were there a low-key information-only session, perhaps in a group, with the opportunity to then mingle and talk to OTHER owners and/or reps - while having wine and cheese - then perhaps we would go. Frankly TUG is all I need right now - lots of info, friendly people. It gets a little heated sometimes - nothing wrong in a *little* heat, infrequently. Going to Ocean Pointe in a few weeks - and we know the phone will ring beforehand to schedule a meeting. We will decline . . . because I will bet that they send us over to Oceana Palms - the same place we were sent last March, when we stayed at the Marriott hotel on the other side - and had a HORRIBLE experience. We were convinced that we had some kind of rogue salesperson - until found out HERE, that they were all spouting the same *company line* then - except for a few nice guys that Tuggers told us about, mainly in Hawaii, I think. We own everything we could want, do NOT NOT NOT want to ever buy any points, are Legacy owners who enrolled, and that is THAT. We know we will have to be extra polite - because we will also have to be extra FIRM with that "no, thank you." THAT is why my previous post, with the more-agressive-that we-really-are comebacks.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
Why bother!? My time is worth so much more than the $75 or $100 of value they give me. If I knew I wasn't interested I would go enjoy my vacation. Maybe it's just me.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
My ex liked the idea of 'free stuff' so I had to deal with two presentations when I was in Cabo a couple of years ago. She didn't understand that I don't value my time @ free, but that's another story. :D

Anyways, the first one was a nightmare. I believe it was at the Marina Sol (whichever one is next to PB Rose). We were pretty much held hostage on this one. They tried playing some fun math games with us as far as why we should purchase, (my ex has a masters in mathematics and I'm an engineer) and after we made him look dumb, then it became a very hostile situation. In retrospect, I wouldn't have made him look dumb. Basically, it took me getting very vocal with some other 'customers' as I went to the bathroom that they finally let us out (this was around the 3hr mark). Even when it came time to collect the 'free stuff', they tried running another sale, in which we were both so fed up at that point, we were ready to leave w/out it. As we were walking out, they handed us the vouchers.

The next one we attended was @ PBSB (where we were staying). The guy we got was pretty down to earth (from Canada, baby on the way, same as us). I was upfront with him and told him, I'm not buying anything. I don't make financial decisions on vacation and I don't buy anything without doing 150% research. Once we got off the property (and over to the villas that he was showing us), he told me he understood I wasn't going to buy anything, he still had to make sure he did his job. He was pretty frank with some of the information he gave me (don't know how true it was, don't really care either :)). He said they will give out $50-$60k in incentives a day (though Id assume its all shell money, since a lot of these places are owned by the same people) but they will on avg close a quarter million in sales a day. All in all, I actually liked PBSB so I was actually interested in owning there but like I said, I don't buy anything without research and not while on vacation.

Came home and found TUG and spent a year on here mostly lurking and reading all the threads before I started pulling the trigger on stuff. :D

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Good turn-offs

When I'm accosted by the timeshare vultures in the lobby I always so "NO" followed by something like "I just lost my job and have no income", "I am here with my girlfriend and my wife would kill me if I bought a timeshare." Another good line is to say that I attended their presentation at xyz less than 6 months ago. Although I've never used it, but it might work to say that you're in the process of filing for bankruptcy and that there is no way you could ever get a loan for even the downpayment.

I find that $50 isn't much of an incentive to use up so much valuable vacation time. A couple of times when the incentive was around $100 I have been tempted. But, to keep my conscience clear, I am 100 percent clear upfront that I will not be buying under any circumstances.

On those few occasions when I've actually gone to a sales presentation, I tell the sales person upfront (probably like everyone does) that I am not interested, and that I don't want to waste his time given I know he works on commission. So, if he wants to cut the presentaion short in order to free himself up for better candidates, that's okay. If necessary then at the appropriate time I pull out some eBay recent closed sales for their TS. It is hard for them to argue that I should spend $20K for something that I can get at pennys on the dollar on eBay. When they tell me that a resale doesn't have access to their Gold concierge, I tell them that's great because I love making my own reservations. They always ask if I own a timeshare and I tell them that I own several and have never paid over $1k for any of them. If they're selling points, I tell them that I like weeks because I never want to do any trading and like staying a full week.

The longest presentation I've ever received was 90.0 minutes (I cut it short and held them to their 90 minute promise) and the shortest was around 15 minutes.

Like I said earlier, I seldom go to the sales presentations any more. It just isn't worth it....:whoopie:

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our shortest was at Ko'Olina. We told them we were not in the market for more timeshares as we were getting ready to drop our kid off at college and anticipated a negative cash flow for at least the next 4 years. We would only consider Ko'Olina if they took our summer DSVII week in trade but they said it didn't qualify for an upgrade. (What is wasn't priceless like they told us?:eek: ) We got our vouchers and were out in less than 20 minutes. Of course 4 years later (and more to go) turns out the negative cash flow was a true prediction. :p

Reaction score
Thank You

Thanks for all the replies, great comments by all. I like the idea of being upfront with the sales rep. and turning the presentation into a learing experience. I've been thinking of purchasing a timeshare for a while (non-developer purchase), this will be my girlfriends first timeshare sales experience; looking forward to a great vacation.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
The problem with doing a presentation for the gifts is.......sometimes you buy another week! That's why they offer gifts to get you in the door. They know that it's a game of large numbers and, they know you've purchased before. Since you already own and use your timeshare, you're one of the better prospects, even if you purchased resale. They know if they can make the offer sound good enough and can find a price point that works, there's a chance they'll make a sale.

We don't go to presentations very much anymore. I know I can't afford another timeshare and I know I already own more than I can use efficiently. Unfortunately, I also know that if I went, I might find a way to meld a few added trust points to our Legacy weeks points and just give it up and go 100% points, even though I've run the numbers and don't particularly like the value.

So for me, that free gift could turn into a VERY expensive "free" gift. I don't want to waste a salesman's time and, I don't want to be tempted anyway.

Sullco2

Reaction score
Sue

No, that's not a verb. It's the name of the Tugger providing the most reasonable post on this topic I have seen in a long time.

I believe that Marriott is among the most reasonable sales organizations out there, although they are clearly going downhill fast. This coincides with the obvious death spiral that the industry is in.

But arming yourself to the teeth before attending a gifted presentation results often in mutually assured destruction.

Someday a belligerent Tugger will be relocated to the sunniest outdoor table to sit alone for 90 minutes sweating and dehydrating as a payback for being a wiseguy.

I have heard ts salespeople tell the stories of putting people "on the reading program" where they are left in very uncomfortable places with an exchange directory to peruse for the full required time while the rep goes to the lounge. It's always a payback to a smart aleck.

Not worth it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
have heard ts salespeople tell the stories of putting people "on the reading program" where they are left in very uncomfortable places with an exchange directory to peruse for the full required time while the rep goes to the lounge. It's always a payback to a smart aleck.

I will take this gig over listening to a Marriott timeshare salesman for 90 minutes. I will take my ipod and headphones to make it more relaxing. Can they take away my ipad? I will take it too.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have heard ts salespeople tell the stories of putting people "on the reading program" where they are left in very uncomfortable places with an exchange directory to peruse for the full required time while the rep goes to the lounge. It's always a payback to a smart aleck.
I wouldn't mind that. In 90 minutes, I could watch a movie on my iPhone or read a good chunk of a book (on my iPhone) or work on catching up on email.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
{Sue} No, that's not a verb. It's the name of the Tugger providing the most reasonable post on this topic I have seen in a long time. ...

Oooooh, what'd I win, what'd I win?!?! It's gotta be worth at least a $100 gift certificate or 10K Rewards Points. Right?!

(Seriously, thank you. :) )

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
"I am here with my girlfriend and my wife would kill me if I bought a timeshare."

I LOVE THIS! I love this line so much, I think I want to marry it.:rofl:

I would be tempted to change it though, and as a woman say, "I am here with my girlfriend and my husband would kill me if I bought a timeshare. "