• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

sales pitch at NCV

Bill4728

Reaction score
Just sat thru the Marriott sales pitch at Newport. Here are some highlights:
-I asked with the dropping prices and bad changes being made to the MR rewards program why should I buy direct?

At this question he got pissed and said he didn't have to sit there and listen to me bad mouth Marriott.

-They (Marriott) made a big deal deal of all the possible problems you can run into when you buy resale. Things like:
>> Marriott using ROFR
>> not being up to date on taxes or MF
>> problems with deed due to foreclosure or divorce
>> Slow closings
>> incorrect info of what your buying
>> scammers

I told him if you used a reputable TS closing company and escrow you should be protected.

-They thought the changes made to the rewards program were great and where did I hear that members were unhappy? I said both TUG and Flyer talk had long threads on the subject but the most damming was the thread on the Marriott web site.

He kept trying to sell us a $12K ( value season= bronze season in branson)

I kept asking saying if we bought, we'd buy resell at NCV for about $8K - $9K and save over $20,000 off what they wanted me to pay.

more later

Last edited:

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disgusting

I started a thread on this subject last June after we sat through the sales pitch at NCV. It was a horrible experience. Very abusive and dishonest.

I am surprised when I read that a TUG member bought a second or third timeshare directly from Marriott.

I love the timeshare concept in the abstract. Too bad Marriott's sales force operates like used car salesmen (which is probably an insult to the used car industry).

Andar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast Villas
Shadow Ridge
Bill, it sounds like you had the same salesman we had.
When we got there, he asked "what brings you in today?"
I said, "repeated phone calls to our unit and the $150 gift card" He said well that is honest. I said I didn't want to waste his time as we would only buy resale. He said, too late you already wasted it. (ah, if I was going to buy from them it wouldn't be with his rudeness).
However, he proceeded with the hard sell. We kept saying no, not interested. Finally, at exactly 90 minutes, he said well we are done here! Hmmm ...that is wha we were trying to say from the beginnng. :doh:
I just wanted info on pricing and any new things coming up. Apparently it really wasn't "just an information update"

Kokonut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bill and Andar,

I'll be at NCV in December and will receive a presentation from a salesmen named John B. Would this happen to be the same person that you two met with? PM me if you need his last name.

Sounds like someone I would like to avoid.

Andar, did you get your gift card at the end of the presentation?

Thanks,

Kokonut

dfjkl

Reaction score
That is one thing I will say. Our guy Ray @ the Ocean Pointe sell was actually a really nice guy. He wanted to sell..but he wasn't pushy, rude, or harsh. The thing that made it so hard to walk away was that he was in fact a really nice guy and my wife just loved the guy (go figure).

Andar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast Villas
Shadow Ridge
Yes, he gave me the gift card. I was actually wanting prices for my sis who will be there in Dec. with me. If they call the room, she will go. If they want to waste my vacation by calling everyday bugging me, I certainly don't mind getting paid for my time.:p

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're checking in this Sunday for the week. I'll let you know if we attend a presentation (I doubt it) and what they said. Our salesguys in both Timber Lodge and Shadow Ridge were so easy going and friendly. It wasn't a bad experience.

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Want to see them freak?

When I was in Aruba, we did the sales pitch. When she left the room to give us time to think it over, I got on her computer and brought up the Arubaoceanclub site. When she came back I asked her why I would buy a villa from her when I could get the same thing for less than 2/3 the price resale.

She made a screaming noise, logged off the computer and didn't want to talk to me for the rest of our 90 minutes.

I enjoyed myself.

Bill4728

Reaction score
When I said that I wound be buying resale only, he said that to receive the money, we would "have to stay the full 90 minutes " or no gift.

Our saleman was Mike Machanik

Last edited:

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
You Did Better Than We Did

When I said that I wound be buying resale only, he said that to receive the money, we would "have to stay the full 90 minutes " or no gift.

You did better than we did. They made us sit in their pressure chamber for 2 1/2 hours. It wasted our day.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I guess you guys have more time to kill than I do for such a small return for 90+ minutes. Our last "update" I'm pretty sure will be our last update. We own more than we can really use and I just don't have the time to spend for 10,000 Marriott Rewards points.

GeNioS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. It was clear that I'd received all the info I wanted and they weren't going to sell anything.

He said that I was "clocked in for 90 minutes" ... said I owed him 20 minutes. He got up and left, came back 20 minutes later and said, "Thanks for your time' and walked away.

I agree Doug....would have never done it but they got my wife on the phone and told her about the Disney discount tickets.... Me = Toast.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. It was clear that I'd received all the info I wanted and they weren't going to sell anything.

He said that I was "clocked in for 90 minutes" ... said I owed him 20 minutes. He got up and left, came back 20 minutes later and said, "Thanks for your time' and walked away.

I agree Doug....would have never done it but they got my wife on the phone and told her about the Disney discount tickets.... Me = Toast.

Been there, done that. Some things aren't worth fighting the wife over and 90 minutes in a sales presentation falls into that catagory. Fortunately, my wife has been insulted enough by TS salesmen that she really has no desire to attend another presentation.

kmij

TUG Member
Reaction score
has marriott lowered the amount of points you get for attending one of their presentations?? i think the last couple that we have gone on netted us 15,000 points.
i am just curious. i agree, for 10,000 pts i might skip it also.
thanks

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
has marriott lowered the amount of points you get for attending one of their presentations?? i think the last couple that we have gone on netted us 15,000 points.
i am just curious. i agree, for 10,000 pts i might skip it also.
thanks

I think it varies by property. I'm currently at Grand Chateau and the offer is 15,000 points.

GeNioS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that at Horizons last week it was 10,000.

I failed to mention in my sales presentation, I asked him if Marriott was going to go to an internal exchange system. (I hadn't yet seen anything on the points system survey.) He said that an internal exchange system would be akin to "corporate suicide." hehe...you've got to love the salespeople.

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually had a great salesperson at Horizons. I went just for the $125 gift card. Told her I already had 2 timeshares. She asked if I had any questions or if she could help me understand the rewards points system. She explained that and after 30 minutes let us go.

Tellmanny

Reaction score
It was because of the sales rep that we bought at Newport... very courteous and professional... even ordered pizza and drinks to feed our 2 year old because he was hungry and salesman didn't want us to have to walk up to the marketplace.

Also sat in on presentations at Playa Andaluza (when staying at Marbella), Reserve (when staying at Grande Vista) and Grand Chateau (where staying here now). All of the sales folks were very nice, even when we told them up front we won't be buying anytime soon.

It's too bad, NCV was such a bad experience...

BTW, at Grand Chateau, they're offering show tix in leiu of the 15,000.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm here at NCV now and they are offering 15,000 points plus $150 shopping card to be used at Fashion Island, a high end shopping center. Maybe some other things as well but that caught my attention. The shopping card was very tempting but i'm proud to say I have resisted so far. If i'm not considering buying at all, why go?

They really have tried to get us to come in because I believe they once said Marriott owners are more likely to be repeat buyers.

Last edited:

Andar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast Villas
Shadow Ridge
Giving points for sitting through their presentations is only if you previously bought through Marriott, correct??

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to say after going up to Lake Tahoe in 2005 to Marriott's Timber Lodge and being screwed over before the sit-down we don't waste our vacation time and never will again.

We were to have a two bedroom condo for three days like the one we might buy and we stayed in a one bedroom hotel room instead.:annoyed:

After talking to the desk about it and being told this is between sales and us and that got us no where.

We walked in a day earlier than our meeting to ask a question on pricing and had a salesman stand there and lie to us like we were idiots!

I told him we could by in Maui Marriott for $12000 less than he wanted for the Marriott in Tahoe and he called me a lier.:eek:

I had him get the manager and we went over this and the manager checked it out and found that I was telling him the truth. I stated if price was close we would buy in Maui.

Also told them we would not go to their sales pitch and would never buy. Also told the manager that we were to have a two bedroom condo like we would be thinking of buying which also was the truth and had a one bedroom hotel.

We were told if we didn't go the meeting we would have to pay for our three days stay.

Wife went up and packed and I checked us out after one night and paid $60.00 for the one night and we drove three hundred feet to Harrah's and stayed.:hysterical:

I wrote a review on return home on the TripAdvisor Marriott review site. Funny part was I had a phone call from Marriott main office to apologize so I guess the Manager told them about this which was nice.

Marriott offered us a weeks free stay in the condo and dinner cruise on the lake and show tickets for our trouble and made this offer twice over next six months.

The next day we went back where we owned ten years ago to the resales office and bought back into Ridge Tahoe and building and season we wanted.

We have never regretted this move.:banana:

Steve

Reaction score
Giving points for sitting through their presentations is only if you previously bought through Marriott, correct??

Not correct. I have never purchased directly through Marriott, but I have been offered 15,000 points to sit through a presentation multiple times. (I have only taken them up on it once, though, as I hate sales presentations and I ONLY buy resale.)

Steve

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wonderful!

I have to say after going up to Lake Tahoe in 2005 to Marriott's Timber Lodge and being screwed over before the sit-down we don't waste our vacation time and never will again........

Marriott offered us a weeks free stay in the condo and dinner cruise on the lake and show tickets for our trouble and made this offer twice over next six months.

The next day we went back where we owned ten years ago to the resales office and bought back into Ridge Tahoe and building and season we wanted.

We have never regretted this move.:banana:

Excellent! This rates as one of my favorite Posts for 2008.

Northeast

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also here at NCV for the holiday. I won't even answer the phone!! I'm sure they are calling to get me to attend their presentation. I love the resort, but am really embarrased at the tactics these sales people use. Its not worth the points or money. I'm here to relax and get away from hectic life back home.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I get sick and tired of being harrassed on the phone during my vacation to try and get me to come to a sales presentation. I will never buy retail so I don't need to waste my time or the salesman's. I will not go to anymore "presentations" for $100 or $150, it simply isn't worth 2 hours of my valuable vacation time.

I unplug the phone when I arrive so they can't call me, and I only plug it in when I want to call the front desk. After talking to the front desk I promptly unplug it again. Anyone I know who wants to speak to me will call my cell phone, so having the resort phone unplugged doesn't hurt me in any way. To me the stay is a lot more relaxing without having the phone ringing whether I answer it or not. Unplug and unwind, after all you are on vacation.

Last edited: