• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sad Day

Jeni

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

We had to put our dog Sammy down today :bawl:

She was 13+ and there was nothing more our vet could do for her, so we made the decision to put her out of her pain and misery. DH and I are so very sad, but what's worse is helping our 3 year old cope...suggestions appreciated.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I've lost several dogs over the years and they are such a part of the family that it's so hard when that time comes. Just try to remember all the fun things you did with her and how she made you laugh. It will get better.

When you're ready, go to an animal shelter and pick out another companion - and save its life.

Sue

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry

Oh gosh! What a loss. We have a yellow lab 11-1/2. Actually, I've been very worried about her for the last two weeks. She hasn't been hearing well, panting, and generally very restless. I hadn't thought about the hearing until tonight, but the loss was so sudden she might have an ear infection. I'm hoping the Vet will look at her tomorrow. I think about her aging every single day, she has really slowed down the last 6-months. It will be very hard to handle when she leaves us, so I know what you're going through. With a young family, I definitely run out and buy a new puppy quickly. They help heal the pain very quickly. At our age, this will most likely be our last dog. We have found traveling to be a PITA. We leave her at home and have someone let her out, walk, and feed her three times a day for about $30 day.

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
so sad:( on your loss. I'm sure you gave Sammy a wonderful and long life. My Sir Newf (11yr Newfoundland) is in failing health and too has been a loving family member. My thoughts are with you and your family.

mrsstats

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy but I 2nd the suggestion that when you are ready to go to a shelter and get another. It will never take the place of the one you lost but each one brings their own joy. We were in the same situation a few years ago, we got Petey and he has been a joy and makes us laugh all the time. We also have Kallie too.

deh333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh Jenni, sorry for your loss.

When my kids were young (3 and 7), we lost two of our pets (old age related ailments).

My husband and I have always found that by just being with our children; maybe being quiet or telling that we are sad about fluffy's passing, it gave them an opening to say how they are feeling. I've used these times to "practice" active listening. You could also ask your kiddos if they want to write (dictate) a story to you, or draw a picture (or many). Good luck.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss.

There is a great little book called "When a Pet Dies" written by Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers) that might help with your 3yr old.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
So sorry for your sad day. There is so much joy from owning a dog, that it's very difficult to be without. You'll find you think you hear her with every strange noise in the house and it will take a lot of time.

Mine just turned 13 and I know a sad day will come way too soon, although she seems in pretty good shape right now. she sleeps a lot now, her hearing isn't as good as it used to be and if she's in a hurry to go down the stairs, she sometimes stumbles and looks confused about it. I'm taking off for a week's holiday with her this Saturday ... not a timeshare of course, but to a beautiful on the water hotel resort we've been to before.

All my previous dogs have been shared by the family, but I got this one as an empty nester...and it will certainly be empty here without her one day. She follows me everywhere - into the bathroom when I have a shower, into my office with me, out mowing the lawn, or in the pool for a swim. I have a video business and have hours of clips that I've been putting into DVD movies - it's hilarious to see her watch them - bark bark bark - and she really does see TV. I've had dogs all my life, but I couldn't imagine going through the puppy stages again ... or the eventual loss of your best friend.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
It sounds like you gave your good friend a wonderful and unselfish gift: taking her pain away.

I am sorry for your loss.

Kurt

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... You'll find you think you hear her with every strange noise in the house ....

That is so true. Our cat died almost a year ago and we still hear her and sometimes catch a glimpse of her out of the corner of our eye.

Jeni, just hold your little one and let her know you love her and you loved the dog. She'll probably get over it faster than you will. These life lessons can be hard but they are needed.

Add us to the list of those who opted not to get another pet but we don't have small children in the home any longer.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our little Cocker Spaniel friend is 12 now. We don't think she hears much if at all- DW says it's selective hearing loss- like mine. She sleeps a lot and is a little slower moving around. She always likes to 'go', though isn't as spry getting into the car. I think about losing her every day and try to make her time special. We will get another dog when she goes, though this one is so good and loving and easy to live with that it will be hard to find another. There is never a replacement, just another friend who gives unconditional love.

My sympathy to Jeni and family.

Jim Ricks

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our little Cocker Spaniel friend is 12 now. We don't think she hears much if at all- DW says it's selective hearing loss- like mine. She sleeps a lot and is a little slower moving around. She always likes to 'go', though isn't as spry getting into the car. I think about losing her every day and try to make her time special. We will get another dog when she goes, though this one is so good and loving and easy to live with that it will be hard to find another. There is never a replacement, just another friend who gives unconditional love.

My sympathy to Jeni and family.

Jim Ricks

Jim - this sounds just like our cocker, though we really don't know her age since she was already up in years when we got her at a shelter. It'll be sad. DD and I volunteer with a network of foster homes for pets awaiting adoption, and might do foster animals next. There are so many wonderful and needy animals out there.

Jeni - the ONLY time I ever saw my DH cry was when we had to euthanize our elderly cat. I feel your pain.:bawl:

Jeni

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all- this is such a compassionate group and I appreciate that right now. It was hard coming downstairs this morning- no Sammy at the bed when we awoke, no Sammy at her food bowls or ready to go out, and as I work from home, there is a marked emptiness on the floor near my desk, where she used to rest.

We do have a 6 year old German Shepherd and a 9 year old cat (who lost his buddy, our other cat, last year). Both the cat and the dog have been confused since last night, looking for Sam, laying in her spot in the den, meowing and wimpering. Connor, our 3 yr old, is doing better than expected. He woke up with some additional questions, but he's not been crying today. I'm sure for all of us, it takes time to heal.

Thank you again for all of the wonderful kindness and advice.

Jeni

Linda

TUG Member
Reaction score
My heart breaks for you, I am so saddened when I hear of someone's loss.
My dogs are my "children", we were not able to have children, so my furkids are a huge part of my family.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.