• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RTU Timeshare Purchase Question

cdn_traveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, KBV, Raintree
Hi Everyone,:hi:

I was the winning bidder on e-bay three weeks ago for a week at Club Regina Los Cabos Westin. It is a Gold + membership, it comes with 54000 points annually and it is a right to use that ends in 2047.

This is my second timeshare purchase, so newbie here. I'm just wondering if there is anything different in the closing process of a points based, RTU timeshare vs. a traditional weeks based one that does not expire.

So far, I haven't had the best communications from the closing company. The contract that they sent for me to sign initially was not filled in with the membership number or any other important information.:eek: I first replied by e-mail, and then by phone this morning. They finally re-sent a new contract which by the wording of it seems to be a quit claim transfer.

"WE, the buyer, relinquish, transfer and grant all our rights, for our contract, to seller."
Is a quit claim deed standard for RTU properties?

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.:)
Susan

Last edited:

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard that RTU transfer is simpler than traditional deeded property transfer. And it takes shorter time too until tranfer is completed. Because closing company doesn't have to search the deed, etc...
Usually, resorts are working most of the transfer work.
When I purchased worldmark (point based membership system with no deed), it took only 2-3 weeks for the whole process and there was no closing cost.

thoscook1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a couple of RTU in Mexico and it is very easy. There is a Formal Certificate which the old owner and new owner both sign on the back and along with a notarized letter from the owner and the transfer fee-and that is all that is needed.

I am not sure if all RTU are the same but I am sure it is much easier but many closing companies are not used to closing this and you have to sort of guide them thru the process (at least mine and I had three different closing companies).

Tom

cdn_traveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, KBV, Raintree
Thank you!

Thanks for your replies Yumdrey and Tom.:)

Unfortunately, I had to pay $399 for the closing and then another $250 for the resort transfer fee. Oh well, at least my winning bid was low. If this all works out, I figure that I still got a very good deal especially if I compare it to paying full freight. Thank you TUG!

I sent the signed contracts back today by snail mail. I was hoping to send the documents back by fax or scanned PDF, but the closing company said that the resort required originals. I guess I want to rush things along so that I can get to the fun part - planning a vacation.:rofl:

Susan

jrb2093

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any references to closing companies or escrow companies that work in the caribbean? I am looking to sell my timeshare in St Lucia, a Right To Use, and so far the companies I contacted in the U.S. say they cannot do it... Like you say it should be a simple process since there is no deed. I just want the buyer and myself feel secure the money will transfer upon transfer of the property. Thanks, John

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any references to closing companies or escrow companies that work in the caribbean? I am looking to sell my timeshare in St Lucia, a Right To Use, and so far the companies I contacted in the U.S. say they cannot do it... Like you say it should be a simple process since there is no deed. I just want the buyer and myself feel secure the money will transfer upon transfer of the property. Thanks, John

Have you asked the resort itself about its' RTU contract transfer process, transfer fees (if any) and / or recommendations or suggestions for local entities to assist you (if even required or necessary at all)?

Personally, I know nothing at all about Caribbean timeshares / RTU contracts, --- but I do know that many resorts and / or vacation clubs with RTU contracts have their own internal documents and procedures (and widely varying fees) for transfers. I would definitely start with a information-gathering conversation directly with the resort.

Last edited:

jrb2093

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent them an email but have not heard back yet. I was trying to be proactive to find my own, but no luck. Hopefully they have the answer. thanks