• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Sands vs Islander questions

htusa2002

Reaction score
Hi

I am travelling with 10, 16, 17 year olds who like to boogie board. I booked Royal Sands and know to costs way more than Islander.
My questions are:

Is beach better or worse at Sands for boogie boarding (I am reading it’s too dangerous to boogie board?? No point in going if that’s true?)

2) is Sands almost the same as Islander so I would be better off saving my money and going to Islander?

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance!!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
The beach is just fine for boogie boards. There is nothing dangerous about Cancún beaches.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
As for the beach, it should be the same for Islander and Royal Sands, they are on the same beach about 1.5mi apart... The real issue is that unless you own at Royal Sands, it is all inclusive and Islander is not

htusa2002

Reaction score
As for the beach, it should be the same for Islander and Royal Sands, they are on the same beach about 1.5mi apart... The real issue is that unless you own at Royal Sands, it is all inclusive and Islander is not

is it nicer at Royal Sands? Or are they Thon the same one just costs more
Due to AI fees

lizhecht

TUG Member
Reaction score
The real issue is that unless you own at Royal Sands, it is all inclusive and Islander is not
The beach at the Royal Sands is a little better, and if you rent from an owner you do not have to buy into the all inclusive plan.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
This will be our 12th consecutive year at RI...I always travel to RS while there....Both beaches are beautiful and water is Amazing...But I would not recommend boogie boards cuz waves are treacherous..There have been near-deaths due to the Waves and undertow..Life guards are busy
Sands is larger and more modern.. And has a younger crowd. Although there are teenagers, not an overflow .....There is no AI at RI..

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
This will be our 12th consecutive year at RI...I always travel to RS while there....Both beaches are beautiful and water is Amazing...But I would not recommend boogie boards cuz waves are treacherous..There have been near-deaths due to the Waves and undertow..Life guards are busy
Sands is larger and more modern.. And has a younger crowd. Although there are teenagers, not an overflow .....There is no AI at RI..

There are near deaths in any ocean from land lubbers that are in over their heads. For someone who's experienced in the ocean, the waves in Cancun are nothing to worry about.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
buzglyd, The OP is asking about safety for his kids that are 10, 16 and 17.....How experienced can they be? C'mon Man!!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
buzglyd, The OP is asking about safety for his kids that are 10, 16 and 17.....How experienced can they be? C'mon Man!!

I surfed every day of my life at that age. 16-17 are plenty strong. The point is that beach isn't any way dangerous. They're just normal waves.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I haven't been there in years, but the Royals used to put up flags when the water is dangerous. Lifeguards get very upset when you venture out too far for conditions. I've been out in black flag conditions and the only problem I had was the undertow. There also is a seasonal problem with sea lice (AKA he bumps) at times in the late spring and early summer. You might want to check that out as it can cause some people to go into shock.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having owned at both the RI and the RS I can honestly say they are fairly similar. We sold our RI weeks when the RS was being built so that we could have 2 weeks in the same villa without moving. IMHO if you are exchanging I would stay at the RI to avoid AI. There are amazing restaurants in Cancun so why have to spend a lot of money on eating at the restaurants at the RR exclusively! You can stay at the RI and spend time at the RS, there is a shuttle between the two properties. If you are renting from an owner I would stay at the RS as AI fees are not mandatory! The waves can be wicked at both properties, but be mindful of the flags and make sure your kids don’t go beyond where the lifeguards are recommending. If you have any questions send me a PM. Although I live in Florida I’m going to the RS in April and I’m looking forward to it!

pharmacistking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
SDO
The Grandview Las Vegas
MVC Grand Chateau
Hello :) I know this is an old thread but searching in RCI I found a Royal Sands code where AI is optional. Is this code reserved for Royal Owners?

Jim O

Reaction score
Been there four times and three times the waves were very aggressive.
I got knocked around

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Been there four times and three times the waves were very aggressive.
I got knocked around

I’m a native Southern Californian. We grow up in those waves. Its nothing if you know what you’re doing.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been owners at the RR since 1991. The waves can be very dangerous. In almost 30 years of ownership we have seen at least 4 people die in them and many dozens being pulled out by the lifeguards.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
Yes 3.4 km to Islander
6.6km to R Sands
Actualy today waves are roughly, but not too much, my kids 10 and 11 were in the sea

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
Next sunday we wll move to FAVC, if you want to be save of rough waves look for a resort at Cancun Bay, my kids say that they rather rough waves, it depends of your preferences.

pauld315

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Beachplace, Westin Lagunamar
We prefer the RI to RS because we don't like being hamstrung to eat at the RR restaurants only, we also are not real comfortable being around a lot of people who do take advantage of unlimited alcohol at the AI's. We do have a few drinks but some of these people are lucky they haven't drowned in the pool.