• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Sands Beach

toskeysam

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are headed to the Sands in November. Just curious about the condition of the beach this year.

craigchams

TUG Member
Reaction score
I returned from the Sands Sept. 6th after 2 weeks. (wks 34 & 35) Not much beach left, but enough to lay in the lounges. The Sat. that Gustav came by the surf was up to the sea walls and steps. There is only one area that you can enter the ocean without climbing over rocks. Still had a great time.... Will send pix if you want to see the beach. Craig

sne75

Reaction score
Just got back this past weekend. I thought the beach was fine (although we mostly stayed in the pool - the wind made the beach uncomfortable for our little ones), but Ike did a number on it. Beach became very eroded towards the end of our trip. I'm sure they will fix it soon though. Have fun - I had never been to Cancun before and I'm glad we went. Loved the Royal Sands! What a great location...

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just came back tonight from the Royal Caribbean. The Tri-Royal's beach is mostly huge boulders with just a few points of safe entry and exit into and from the water. There is a decent size beach for enjying the sand and wading in the surf.

The Royal Sands has two different beaches. When you walk past the pool in Phase 1 you will be met by rope there and to the right, keeping you from the beach. The reason is that they built a 3 to 4 foot cliff so they can have lounge chairs on the cliff. There are maybe 20 chairs there, 1 deep and some walking room to pass. Many rocks with very few points of entry.

Phase 2 is a bit better, no cliffs but still many rocks, but much more access to the water.

tug15

Reaction score
So, does Royal Sands have the best beach of the Royals?

Does Royal Sands have the best beach of the Royals?

Someone mentioned that there is a lifeguard at the Royal Sands?????????
Heard the surf is quite rough?

Thanks so much for any info you could provide!!!!!!!!!!!:cheer: :cheer:

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been going to Cancun since about 1985. It does not take a full-blown hurricane to destroy the beach short-term, merely a strong storm. So, honestly, there is time between now and then that the beach can come and go more than once.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Royal Sands have the best beach of the Royals?

Someone mentioned that there is a lifeguard at the Royal Sands?????????
Heard the surf is quite rough?

Thanks so much for any info you could provide!!!!!!!!!!!:cheer: :cheer:

Some of the answer to your question depends on what you are looking for - lots of sand? lots of waves? flat water?

It's pretty much the same beach - and certainly the same ocean - up and down the East-facing strip that includes the Sands, the Tri-Royals, and dozens of other resorts and hotels. Post-hurricanes much of the sand washed away and many of the large rocks that were covered by it became exposed. The weather, tides, and waves continually redistribute the sand, so the rocks are sometimes less exposed, sometimes more. There are generally openings between the rocks so you can get into the ocean, and generally the rocks are just at the water's edge.

The water is fairly surfy, sometimes rough, sometimes calmer, but almost never really flat. There's more day to day variation than variation between a given resort and the ones up and down the strip from it.

All of the Royals have lifeguards until (I believe) 6pm.

tug15

Reaction score
Thanks PJRose..Royal Sands gets good reviews!

I also follow Trip Advisor for reviews..

Royal Sands gets great reviews...I like to get as many opinions/feedback as possible...:hi: :hi:

svwoude

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Royal Sands for 2 weeks last January. When we got there, it was very rocky, and the red flag was up for no swimming,too many rocks. The second week the rocks had been mostly covered, and swimming was permitted every day. So it changes from week to week!

Steve

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do they have a project to redo the beach?

They did several years ago, but much of that sand washed away in the next bad storm. There are lots of rumors about another project, but I don't know if anything is firm.