• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Cancun AI or not ?!?!

Pono Kai Cami

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai Kauai, HI
We are looking to go to Cancun for our first time. There will be 4 adults and one 16 year old. We are looking at staying at the Royal Cancun in a 2 bedroom with kitchen. We are unsure whether to do the all inclusive or not. None of us drink alcohol, so we are not sure it will be worth it. However, being our first time to Cancun we aren’t really sure of the area and if there will be other options readily available. Also, should we rent a car to get around? Are there better resorts that we should be looking to stay at? Thanks in advance for your help!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
If you don’t drink, I wouldn’t do the AI. There are so many great places to eat in Cancun and you’ll be walking distance to a lot of it. You don’t need a car if you’re just staying in the hotel zone. The buses run up and down the strip all day and are very cheap. Maybe just do the AI for a couple days until you get your bearings.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
I will be the first to attempt to answer your questions. Was in Cancun exactly one year ago. Stayed at the Royal Islander and did not do all inclusive. The Royals are excellent resorts, there are still 4 of them (Islander, Cancun, Sands and Hacienda). Your location has an advantage of much lower waves, so the beach is more accessible. To answer some of your questions:

1. I would not recommend the all inclusive. It is only marginally of value for someone who drinks, and definitely NOT of value for anyone who does not drink. In addition, one of the big advantages of having the kitchen is the ability to cook a few simple dishes if you like, or eat out, your choice. Most importantly, there are tons of good restaurants in close proximity that you can walk, shuttle or bus to.
  2. Would not recommend renting a car, unless for a single day. You will be staying on the corridor and transportation is readily available. There are inexpensive buses that run that route on a regular basis and the Royal provides a shuttle that moves you from one resort to another for free.
  3. As far as timeshares go, there are a couple other resorts that are nice (Royal Sands, Fiesta Americana and Westin Lagunamar....), but the Sands and some others require AI..... So Royal Cancun is a very good choice for you.

Pono Kai Cami

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai Kauai, HI
@SHG & @buzglyd I really appreciate you both taking time to reply! We are excited to visit Cancun, but it seems overwhelming not knowing the area. Any other suggestions of must things to do or places we should definitely eat at?

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
For a first visit to Cancun you will be overwhelmed with options. Just pick one or 2 things that you would like to do. A lot of the tourist attractions are far away and will take a whole day to do 1 or 2 things. So the question to you is, what do you like to do?? Big activities for the area include; snorkling (at your resort or travel to Puerto Morelos), scuba diving (near you), Mayan ruins (there are several, all long trips), trip to cenotes (there are several and these can be fun for all), boat ride to Isla Mujeres and many other things.. All depends on what you are interested in....
As for the restaurants, I will let others make those recommendations.....

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
There is a whole thread on Cancun restaurants. A lot of it comes down to the tastes of the people traveling.

We love Cancun so put it this way, enjoy yourselves knowing you’ll likely return to do the things you missed the first time around.

Pono Kai Cami

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai Kauai, HI
Thanks again for the help! I will look up that thread on Cancun restaurants. We love to do pretty much everything from snorkeling, zip lining, historical sites, you name it. So, we will try and look up some of your suggestions.

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Royal Cancun in November of 2019. We didn't do an AI, but ate several meals at the resort. There is a nice breakfast buffet. An inter-resort shuttle goes between the other Royal resorts and we had dinner at The Royal Sands a few nights. We liked the beach there a little better. One day we took a bus to the Mercado 28, a shopping area I read about. I think the bus cost about 0.35. The Royal Cancun isn't far from the ferry terminal to Isla Mujeres, a great day trip. We purchased a tour from Get Your Guide and visited Tulum and a cenote. I agree with previous posters that a car is unnecessary. Have a great time!

Pono Kai Cami

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai Kauai, HI
@Jodyv Thank you so much! This information was so helpful! It is so hard to plan and make decisions when you really don’t know the area. Did you like the Royal Cancun or should we look into staying elsewhere?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
@Jodyv Thank you so much! This information was so helpful! It is so hard to plan and make decisions when you really don’t know the area. Did you like the Royal Cancun or should we look into staying elsewhere?

what exchange company are you using? Or are you renting?

Pono Kai Cami

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai Kauai, HI
We are planning on using Interval International.

Pono Kai Cami

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai Kauai, HI
Awesome! I will look into that resort, also.

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were very pleased with our stay at the Royal Cancun. I think you'll like it. I think the other Royal resorts are more luxurious, but I don't know what their rooms look like. My travel style is pretty casual and it suited our needs perfectly. I would go there again. Wish I was there now!

Pono Kai Cami

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai Kauai, HI
@Jodyv Thanks again for your help! It is so nice getting information from people who have already been. I would love to be there now too! I am so ready for a vacation!