• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Beach & Tennis, Padre Island, 4/8/07?

ljb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice on this resort. Reviews seem mixed as to condition of units, but it appears there are many other condos in same complex--not all timeshare--so some of these people are probably reviewing privately-owned condos, NOT VRI timeshare units. We have 2 bed/2 bath unit on HOLD for check-in 4/8/07 which is Easter weekend, I believe. Four of us: me, my husband and two kids (14 & 16). Never been to Padre, or anywhere on the Gulf Coast there--is it a good place for Spring Break with two young teens? I know Padre is a big spring-break destination but I think the college kids should have gone home by 4/7, right? What is the beach there like, are the the units up-to-date, etc.? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I was doing a search for Florida "on-the-beach" but this happened to come up--thought it might be an interesting alternative, maybe take the kdis down to Mexico, etc. I deposited a 2 bed/2 bath Hawaii Gold Crown (Easter week 2008), though, so I DO want to make sure it is a worthwhile trade--if I don't take it I assume other interesting things will come up this far in advance, so if you have recent experience or other input you would be doing me a big favor! THANKS

ljb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I guess the name of the resort is ACTUALLY "Royale Beach & Tennis Resort" There's an "e" on the word ROYALE. Also, I double-checked, our check-in is for FRIDAY 4/6/07, not 4/8, in case this makes any difference in which units are assigned on certain days--they appear to have some "Penthouse" units, but I can't tell how you'd know if you were getting one of those. Trades with both II and RCI, it appears: RCI #4304; Interval resort ID is "SAR" Any input is appreciated, also as to how crazy Padre may still be by 4/6--thinking college kids will be gone by then, so it may be quieter? Thanks

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
April seems a bit late for spring break, but I don't know. Easter should make it a bit more busy than it otherwise would be, I suppose, but that's too early in the year to be warm enough to draw big crowds. Might be a decent migratory bird viewing time of year. The beach nor the water will be as nice as most of the Florida beaches. Lots of seaweed and other debris, certain times of year bring lots of Jellyfish.

However, it is by far the nicest there is in Texas. The cadillac or the Drive In in Mexico are the tourist restaurants, I'm sure there are plenty of others.

There will be mini-golf, carnival rides, etc to entertain the kids and drain the wallet. Have fun.

dcmoony

Reaction score
ljb, It is a nice place. The two bed room to baths are set up a lock outs. So the kids have their own door to come and go. The units are nice and have washer and dyer in them. They do have a good number of tennis courts. Three pools I think I remember four hot tubs. Has two board walks to get to the beach. I have some pictures of it on my photo page.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
PA- said:
The cadillac or the Drive In in Mexico are the tourist restaurants, I'm sure there are plenty of others.
The Cadillac Bar in Nuevo Laredo! I ate there about 30 years ago and it was great then. Hadn't thought about that in years. Glad to hear it's still around.:)

Here's a website for it--it has changed a bit in 30 years!

Last edited:

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
Karen G said:
The Cadillac Bar in Nuevo Laredo! I ate there about 30 years ago and it was great then. Hadn't thought about that in years. Glad to hear it's still around.:)

Here's a website for it--it has changed a bit in 30 years!

Oops, my mistake, I thought it was in Matamoras (near Brownsville). Forget about that, Nuevo Laredo is not only more dangerous than Iraq right now, it also isn't close to S. Padre.

Still, the Drive In is in Matamoras, isn't it?

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
PA- said:
Forget about that, Nuevo Laredo is not only more dangerous than Iraq right now, it also isn't close to S. Padre.

Still, the Drive In is in Matamoras, isn't it?

Sorry to hear about the danger in Nuevo Laredo. I think I was in Matamoros once, but I'm not sure--it's been so long ago.

JimJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Texas beaches aren't near as nice as those in FL in our opinion, but those is S. Padre are as good or better than any other is TX. A day trip to a border town in Mexico would be educational for your kids. When my girls were 10 and 16, the highlight of a 2 week trip to California was the day trip my wife took them to Tijuana.