• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rogue Wave Hits Hanakapi‘ai Beach

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Rescuers respond to distressed swimmers

Surviving a rogue wave
“Get ready to run,” I said to my wife as we watched a muscular swell gain momentum shortly after noon Monday at Hanakapi‘ai Beach. Like the 40 or so people at the beach, we’d hiked the first two miles of the Kalalau Trail on a brilliant sunny day, watching towering waves crash into the Napali bluffs.

We’d read the warning signs and cautiously chose our lunch spot, on the volcanic rocks far above the beach. The strongest waves neared the top of the beach, but we had at least 30 feet of buffer, or so we thought. We ate our hard-boiled eggs and blue-corn chips, fueling up for the challenging hike to Hanakapa‘ai Falls.

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
Really scary situation, they're all lucky to be alive. To this day I remember my SCUBA instructors first and last words to the class (even though it was 45 years ago) "NEVER turn your back on the ocean, Never."

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We had dinner a few years ago with the cousin of our friends. He had been living on the Big Island for about 15 years and was swept off of a hiking trail near Captain Cook (over lava as I recall) by a rogue wave. His story was terrifying. He was swept off of the rocks and the pushed up against them. Despite his injuries he got himself up onto some rocks and was somehow rescued. I can't remember the details. But I do remember him saying that he hiked there frequently and had never seen anything like the wave that hit him. It was just one giant wave. So scary!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I noticed in the still picture from that same article, people were running away from the beach while a woman was standing on the beach getting a picture of the wave that was just about to knock her onto the rocks. :eek: When we hiked to that beach in 2011 we passed a sign that caught our attention.

2011%20Hawaii%20013-X3.jpg

I'm sure the count has gone up since then.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Or why I don't own an oceanfront timeshare in Hawaii. . .
We were in Waikiki when the terrible tsunami hit Japan. Three times the ocean withdrew 100-200 feet, but each time when it came back it wasn't higher than normal. All the ocean front hotels made people go to the 4th floor or higher. Pretty scary. The lights offshore are from all the boats that left the harbor to anchor far enough away not to be affected. After Waikiki we went to Poipu, and found out that all the resorts near the ocean had to evacuate inland to the community college.

2011%20Hawaii%20019-X3.jpg
2011%20Hawaii%20021-X3.jpg

A couple of years before that, we had just left Maui when the terrible earthquake hit Chile. If our flight had been 2 hours later, the flight would have been delayed because of the tsunami warning. Fortunately, Hawaii wasn't affected by that earthquake.

Lesson learned... if you see the ocean suddenly withdraw, head to higher ground ASAP!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Hanakapi'ai Beach is known to be a dangerous Beach. There are no Reefs protecting the Beach. There is the Beach and then there is the Pacific Ocean.