• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ROFR Exercised/Passed

Mr Smith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC- Lagoon Tower Platinum 2B Premeire
HGVC - Elara Platinum 1B Grand Plus
I see there is a report by DanY on the rofr Experiences page of a 2 bdrm platinum on the Boulevard that passed on 5/6/2019 for $6,900, but I don't see a thread here at all for it. The agent I am going through says that HGVC is exercising above $10,000 for this 2 bdrm Platinum Boulevard unit. Is DanY around and can you confirm, was this just an offer that you had made that never closed or did it in fact pass at $6,900. I also see one from 12/1/2018, same unit reported by "HS" that passed at $6,100. Are these sales confirmed? The agent I am using is well known here and reputable and I am just wondering why I am getting such different stories.

The deals are likely real. HGVC resale typically sell at $1/pt. 10k for a 7,000 point deed is more than usual. I closed on an Elara unit late last year for 7,800 points for $7,500. Elara is reported to not be exercising ROFR so possibly you can get a better deal there. I believe Flamingo never exercised ROFR.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
I've read back on this thread and it appears that not all sales that are reported on the rofr Experiences are "apples to apples" in that sometimes other fees are added to bring the total price up to a level that passes. For instance one post mentioned that resellers sometimes charge an upfront fee of several thousand dollars and add that on to the sale price so that it has a higher face price to clear rofr, so I'm just trying to understand if these posts can be taken at face value or if there are other factors. It would be nice to see a post that coincides with them but I cannot see these two sellers in any posts on this thread, so just wondering where the info comes from and if it is reliable.

Mr Smith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC- Lagoon Tower Platinum 2B Premeire
HGVC - Elara Platinum 1B Grand Plus
As this site has the public sharing information it will be tough to verify every transaction and get everyone to post all the information the same way.

The $1/point I believe is before closing costs. For example, I agreed to $7,500 purchase price but still had to pay around $1,000 in closing costs and another $609 to HCVC to transfer the deed to my account. However, the unit I bought is a higher demand unit because it is 7,800 points for a one bedroom, meaning it will have cheaper maintenance fees than a 2 br. If you look long enough you can get a cheaper price on a 7,000 unit with 2 br maintenance fees.

The decision which unit to buy is dependent on how long you plan to keep it, IMHO. The longer you intend to keep it (10+ years) you will pay more in maintenance fees.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I've read back on this thread and it appears that not all sales that are reported on the rofr Experiences are "apples to apples" in that sometimes other fees are added to bring the total price up to a level that passes. For instance one post mentioned that resellers sometimes charge an upfront fee of several thousand dollars and add that on to the sale price so that it has a higher face price to clear rofr, so I'm just trying to understand if these posts can be taken at face value or if there are other factors. It would be nice to see a post that coincides with them but I cannot see these two sellers in any posts on this thread, so just wondering where the info comes from and if it is reliable.

Many of those fees that are added are from postcard or eBay resellers that use the upfront cost sellers pay to bring up the total. A reputable broker doesn’t charge huge upfront fees so they wouldn’t put that in the cost. When you see units passing for a few dollars or a couple of thousand for a desired unit, those probably use upfront fees to make it work.

As stated above, around a dollar a point would get you most units, especially 2 bedroom platinum. Many times, those that are sold at the end of the year may go lower, but $10,000 would be overkill. The more money a broker sells a unit for, the more they put in their bank account. These brokers, while reputable, work for the sellers, so they will try and get as much as they can out of you.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Be aware that the brokers are representing the seller and their goal is to get top dollar for their client.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The agent I am using is well known here and reputable and I am just wondering why I am getting such different stories.

My suggestion is to offer what you are willing (and would be happy with) to pay. I wouldn't let the broker make you offer more. Also, remember that there will be another HGVC TS to purchase, if this one falls through (assuming that you can wait).

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I see there is a report by DanY on the rofr Experiences page of a 2 bdrm platinum on the Boulevard that passed on 5/6/2019 for $6,900, but I don't see a thread here at all for it. The agent I am going through says that HGVC is exercising above $10,000 for this 2 bdrm Platinum Boulevard unit. Is DanY around and can you confirm, was this just an offer that you had made that never closed or did it in fact pass at $6,900. I also see one from 12/1/2018, same unit reported by "HS" that passed at $6,100. Are these sales confirmed? The agent I am using is well known here and reputable and I am just wondering why I am getting such different stories.
These sales are not confirmed. We all voluntarily add them. Sometimes one can go through at a lower price but be aware the rofr.net prices can reflect different pieces of a price. Some do not include closing costs, some do. Some might have purchased on ebay and report what they pay but that doesn’t include fees that are paid to the lister from the seller. The variables can make the difference.

CherBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacation
Globequest - Casa Dorado
Pueblo Bonito - just got rid of this
Grand Crowne Resort - just got rid of this
Dumb question....when it says PASSED does that mean Hilton refused to buy back from the owner??

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dumb question....when it says PASSED does that mean Hilton refused to buy back from the owner??
That is a possibility I suppose, but on face value it means a buyer and a seller agreed on a purchase / sale price between them and HGVC said "heh I'll take that off our hands now that you have done all the hard work of negotiating a fire sale price"

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes, HGVC declined to purchase it back. ROFR was not exercised.

Not a dumb question, someone else might

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
As this site has the public sharing information it will be tough to verify every transaction and get everyone to post all the information the same way.

The $1/point I believe is before closing costs. For example, I agreed to $7,500 purchase price but still had to pay around $1,000 in closing costs and another $609 to HCVC to transfer the deed to my account. However, the unit I bought is a higher demand unit because it is 7,800 points for a one bedroom, meaning it will have cheaper maintenance fees than a 2 br. If you look long enough you can get a cheaper price on a 7,000 unit with 2 br maintenance fees.

The decision which unit to buy is dependent on how long you plan to keep it, IMHO. The longer you intend to keep it (10+ years) you will pay more in maintenance fees.
And also, importantly, whether you plan to use the POINTS or use as your home week. If you're looking largely at Home Week usage, you need to get the room you want, even if that means higher MF. If you're after points than absolutely go with the lower MF.

nobodyhasthisname2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
7000 platinum points at HGVC on Paradise
We offered on a 7000pt annual platinum unit on Paradise on May 3rd. $7500 including this years points without having to reimburse maintenance fees.
Just found out that Hilton waived ROFR today.

I figured it would go through based on the ROFR website, of course the broker “thought it could go either way”.

I am so excited to get access to the website and start planning our next vacation. We usually travel during off peak times, and there’s only two of us so I’m thinking we can make very good use of our points!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We offered on a 7000pt annual platinum unit on Paradise on May 3rd. $7500 including this years points without having to reimburse maintenance fees.

I figured it would go through based on the ROFR website, of course the broker “thought it could go either way”.

I am so excited to get access to the website and start planning our next vacation. We usually travel during off peak times, and there’s only two of us so I’m thinking we can make very good use of our points!

Congrats! Nice price and great MF’s.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Congrats on your purchase. Did the buyer or the seller pay the transaction fees?

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Did you buy it through a broker? is so could you let me know which one?

Also is Paradise an affiliate?

What are the MF's on that unit?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Did you buy it through a broker? is so could you let me know which one?

Also is Paradise an affiliate?

What are the MF's on that unit?

Paradise is a full HGVC resort and is not an affiliate. "FEPS" Vegas Resorts are desireable because the 7k+ units have a good ratio of MF/point at around $1000 or less.

Flamingo
Elara
Paradise
Strip (blvd)

Last edited:

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Could you let me know where you came across this listing or the name of the broker?

DK3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was able to close last month on a HGVC on the Boulevard. Gold season 5800 points for $2500. Maintenance fees plus taxes were $878 last year. I also received 2019 points without reimbursing the maintenance fees. It is my 3rd Hilton resale plus an EOY Hyatt and a Sheraton property so I think it is time to stop.

Leadfoot

Reaction score
We just got notice today that the deed transfer is complete.

Platinum Season 7,000 points annually. Our home resort is Tuscany Village in Orlando. We paid $1,935.00 (purchase price $1,526 plus resort transfer fee $409). Annual maintenance fees are $1,289 (MF + RE Taxes). We do not get to use it until 2020.

Purchase agreement signed on Jun 14. Hilton signed the waiver on Jun 21. Deed transfer completed on July 22.

I did a lot of research before buying and feel like we got a good deal. Our MFs may be a little high, but the purchase price was significantly lower than $1/point. We are excited to start using HGVC. This is our first timeshare. We plan to use the 7,000 points in the Gold weeks for a 1 bedroom, so we should be able to get 2 full weeks out of our purchase. Our son visits a waterski coach in Florida every year, so 2 weeks in Orlando works out great for us.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

Platinum Season 7,000 points annually. Our home resort is Tuscany Village in Orlando. We paid $1,935.00 (purchase price $1,526 plus resort transfer fee $409). Annual maintenance fees are $1,289 (MF + RE Taxes). We do not get to use it until 2020.

Purchase agreement signed on Jun 14. Hilton signed the waiver on Jun 21. Deed transfer completed on July 22.

I did a lot of research before buying and feel like we got a good deal. Our MFs may be a little high, but the purchase price was significantly lower than $1/point. We are excited to start using HGVC. This is our first timeshare. We plan to use the 7,000 points in the Gold weeks for a 1 bedroom, so we should be able to get 2 full weeks out of our purchase. Our son visits a waterski coach in Florida every year, so 2 weeks in Orlando works out great for us.
Good buy. That’ll even get you 7-8 days of a 1-bedroom ocean view in Waikiki! Would cost you 10x to buy those same points with that as your home week.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

From where did you buy that? Was it an eBay purchase?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Nice deal and the transfer was fast. Who did you use to transfer?

A favor, please enter this into rofr.net

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Congratulations! That is a fast closing and transfer process.

We recently bought our first HGVC and were told it would likely take 8 weeks. It’s the Flamingo and they don’t even have ROFR. Maybe it will go faster than estimated.

Enjoy!

Best regards.

Mike