• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

retro and trade in ??? should I

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well it's done and I'm happy with it. I moved all my 4 resales into the network. Bought an additional wkv platinum to meet the 20 new money and three out of 6 of my timeshares are platinum so more SO with less MF. And I'm excited about all my SP. They did say SVN is looking at taking existing hotel resorts and converting part of them to timeshare way more cost effective than starting new. And no to Aruba

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well it's done and I'm happy with it. I moved all my 4 resales into the network. Bought an additional wkv platinum to meet the 20 new money and three out of 6 of my timeshares are platinum so more SO with less MF. And I'm excited about all my SP. They did say SVN is looking at taking existing hotel resorts and converting part of them to timeshare way more cost effective than starting new. And no to Aruba

Do they require $20k new money now?

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Well, that sounds like a better package and if you're happy, no need to second guess it. Just enjoy your vacations!

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do they require $20k new money now?

Retro's always required $20K (if the new unit is on the mainland) or $40K (if the new unit is not on the mainland) in monies.

Some upgrade/retro combinations got around that minimum, as they took the (partial?) value of the upgrade in to account.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Girl in beanie copter, throwing money around! LOL love it!

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Retro's always required $20K (if the new unit is on the mainland) or $40K (if the new unit is not on the mainland) in monies.

Some upgrade/retro combinations got around that minimum, as they took the (partial?) value of the upgrade in to account.

Not true. The minimum was $10k when I did it.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

Good for you :cheer: and enjoy!
A 2nd opinion is usually good to get, but you gotta go with what feels right and works for you in your circumstances.

And I think $20K is the minimum for new money purchase on a retro/requal.
I did mine last year, and salesman thought he could get it by, by selling us a unit for $19,900 but his manager said no.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

We've done it three times (2009, 2010 and 2011) and the min on a straight retro was always $20K mainland and $40K other.

The last purchase was $19,900 and we had to get some higher up approval first.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
If you're doing an upgrade, there are some resorts where they'll accept $10k in new monies to retro. But they won't allow it into any Platinum Plus inventory. There seem to be quite a few nuances and restrictions for certain resorts which make it possible to do something in one circumstance but not another.

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've done it three times (2009, 2010 and 2011) and the min on a straight retro was always $20K mainland and $40K other.

The last purchase was $19,900 and we had to get some higher up approval first.

Huh, maybe they changed this after we purchased. We started the process in July or so of 2008 and by the time everything was completed it was January 23, 2009. I vaguely remember there being some talk about policy changes right after our purchase.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can definitely upgrade and requal for less than $20k. I'm sure it's location dependent but id suggest that if you purchased something in FL you'd be able to requal for less than $20k no problem.

Last edited:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
See post on my requal this past fall.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1677981&postcount=320

They're trying to unload Jensen inventory so I'd bet they requal for this if you pushed (and you thought it was worth it!)

$14,990 + $695 closing costs for 81,000 StarOptions / 22,000 StarPoints (was 76,000 StarOptions)

$18,990 +$695 closing costs for 81,000 StarOptions / 42,000 StarPoints (was 76,000 StarOptions)

Last edited:

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the input. i wanted to end up with something that has value so i purchased WKV platinum and was able to retro and exchange a total of 4 properties. now if i ever want to do it again, my weeks will be at todays pricing and 100% credit cause they are considered svn purchase. i am please with my portfolio and it's all in the network now and i spent a little over 20k and i have 15 months no interest and we ended up with 75k starpoints

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like any other purchase, it's waht works for the buyer. So congrats on your purchase and glad you're happy. I love the Starwood properties and being SPG gold. I just saved nearly $5000 by using 140000 SP I've built up using my card and purchases to get 10 nights in the Westin gaslamp and 5 RT tix to San Diego.

You've got the SO and know you'll use them
So have fun and happy trails!

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
See post on my requal this past fall.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1677981&postcount=320

They're trying to unload Jensen inventory so I'd bet they requal for this if you pushed (and you thought it was worth it!)

$14,990 + $695 closing costs for 81,000 StarOptions / 22,000 StarPoints (was 76,000 StarOptions)

$18,990 +$695 closing costs for 81,000 StarOptions / 42,000 StarPoints (was 76,000 StarOptions)

That was an upgrade plus retro? I've heard of those type of deals bypassing the $20K floor...

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

IIRC (and without searching TUG) there was no minimum for a while, then $10k and now $20/40k. I know there was a time when there was no minimum since back when I thought it a good idea to go to an "owners update" [e.g. strong sales presentation with lots of rosy pictures] WKV once tried to get me to buy a small 1-bed summer week for ~$7500 and they offered to retro a week with purchase. I thought about it for all of two seconds before realizing it was a horrible deal.

Sent from my iPad

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was an upgrade plus retro? I've heard of those type of deals bypassing the $20K floor...

Yes I both traded in a week (SBP I got for free and was credited nearly $12k) and then I requalified an SDO plat week. They also also allowed me to apply my explorer credit and got 30kSP.

So new $ incl explorer pkg was $14k but subtracting that EP it was about $12.8k

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, now that I think of it, when we did our purchase the total only came out to like ~$9500, so we had to fix the week bought for another $1k to get the purchase just above the $10k minimum.