• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Restrictions placed on non-club resale points for HICV

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Saw this image posted on FB, wanted to share it here as useful information for anyone considering buying resale:

1643084920752.jpeg

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
These are the restrictions on Trust points when resold. The 3 (mandatory) resorts, Myrtle beach, Gatlinburg, and Lake Geneva would not have these restrictions. These restrictions were specifically written into the 130+ page offering statement for the trust.

They can't retro those restrictions into the other 3 resorts.

I still question the external exchange one and the home resort only. I think the home resort only means trust inventory and not the specific contracted unit on the beneficial interest. The external exchange (no rci or II) isn't in that original offering statement. If they still have to pay the annual membership fee, I would think it includes rci. If they don't pay that fee than, yeah maybe.

No one has stepped up saying they have resale trust points so there has been no first hand confirmation that HICV is enforcing these restrictions although the offering terms certainly suggests they can.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
thanks for the clarification/distinction!

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a HICV mandatory points resort purchased resale and many of those definitely don't apply.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
This makes those 3 resort resales worth some money. :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
sadly while those 3 are worth more than the rest, its still not very much!

Last edited:

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Not very much though. Lake Geneva 102,500 pts went for $1,104 on Ebay in November. https://www.ebay.com/itm/165119463571

those are the cheap ones , but $1,104 more than any of the others not in the big 3
That’s a great deal, I would not sell for that , people need to jump on these to add points reasonably when they can. Those are not taken aggressively ROFR either.

fewer and fewer of these available and at a decent MF

oh and resalable -cha-Ching

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
I have a HICV mandatory points resort purchased resale and many of those definitely don't apply.

Would you mind clarifying which do and which don't apply? Here's an OCRized list of all these rules. A short applies / doesn't apply would be great. Thanks in advance!

- Usage will be in points, not days
- Points will be good for one Usage Year
- Points do not roll over to the following usage year and cannot be extended
- Reservation must use same year points of when the reservation is checking in
- Can only travel to the resort where the points are allocated from
- Reservation must check in and out by the points' expiration date
- Booking Window is six months or less prior to arrival
- Secure any unit type as long as the points are available for use.
- Minimum of two nights
- May check in any day
- Cannot borrow or rent points
- All fees must be paid at time booking
- No external exchanges allowed (Ex. RCI Interval International, Etc)
- May NOT send a guest

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a Lake Geneva resale which is one of the ones that transfers as points. I've put answers in your quote in caps based on my experience with that ownership.

Would you mind clarifying which do and which don't apply? Here's an OCRized list of all these rules. A short applies / doesn't apply would be great. Thanks in advance!

- Usage will be in points, not days TRUE
- Points will be good for one Usage Year FALSE
- Points do not roll over to the following usage year and cannot be extended FALSE
- Reservation must use same year points of when the reservation is checking in FALSE
- Can only travel to the resort where the points are allocated from FALSE
- Reservation must check in and out by the points' expiration date FALSE (or sort of true, if you mean the extended expiration date)
- Booking Window is six months or less prior to arrival FALSE (booking window same as regular ~10 months)
- Secure any unit type as long as the points are available for use. TRUE (except for signature units available only at the last minute)
- Minimum of two nights TRUE
- May check in any day TRUE
- Cannot borrow or rent points FALSE
- All fees must be paid at time booking TRUE
- No external exchanges allowed (Ex. RCI Interval International, Etc) FALSE
- May NOT send a guest FALSE

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I own a Lake Geneva resale which is one of the ones that transfers as points. I've put answers in your quote in caps based on my experience with that ownership.

This is the same case for me owning at lake Geneva and South beach.

I just want to clarify no. 1 for south beach and Gatlinburg deeds. You can actually book days instead of points at what is called home access and resort access. Home access is basically booking your deeded week and unit at 13-36 month out, and no reservation fee. Resort access is 10-13 month out at your deeded resort, and it could be a 7 night minimum stay, if I remember correctly. Not sure if it works the same with lake Geneva deeds having different type of points (udi) and some very small contracts. I have never travelled to either of my deeded properties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite

- Usage will be in points, not days
- Points will be good for one Usage Year
- Points do not roll over to the following usage year and cannot be extended
- Reservation must use same year points of when the reservation is checking in
- Can only travel to the resort where the points are allocated from
- Reservation must check in and out by the points' expiration date
- Booking Window is six months or less prior to arrival
- Secure any unit type as long as the points are available for use.
- Minimum of two nights
- May check in any day
- Cannot borrow or rent points
- All fees must be paid at time booking
- No external exchanges allowed (Ex. RCI Interval International, Etc)
- May NOT send a guest
These rules are for resale Trust Points, not the 3 deeded resorts that transfer as points.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
I own a Lake Geneva resale
Ah, Okay. I misunderstood "HICV mandatory points resort purchased resale" as "Trust Points".

So this still remains unanswered:

No one has stepped up saying they have resale trust points so there has been no first hand confirmation that HICV is enforcing these restrictions although the offering terms certainly suggests they can.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Ah, Okay. I misunderstood "HICV mandatory points resort purchased resale" as "Trust Points".

Yes

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite

correct, ive been trying to find a resale trust owner to verify but no one on here or the facebook pages have any experience.

wbhiggins03

Reaction score
Similar but not the exact question, but does anyone know how buying resale points count when you already have club points? We are close to the next level but not sure if we bought retail, they would count. Thanks.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Similar but not the exact question, but does anyone know how buying resale points count when you already have club points? We are close to the next level but not sure if we bought retail, they would count. Thanks.
Resale does not work anymore for Elite status. I blew it back in 2015. I had 272K and should have grandfathered in at 300K all with resale back then. I think in 2017 the blocked elite for resale.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
no they will not count

sonofaslan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV - South Beach
I was the one that posted it on Facebook and tschwa2 is correct, those are the rules for resale Trust points only, not the 3 mandatory point resorts.
Can you link me to the Facebook group?

ltdan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon. I think this is the best place to put my question, though I think it is a rehash of what was already asked. I own a week in Cape Canaveral (formally Ron Jon's) and was converted to 175,000 points years ago. After some discussion with the sales team, I found out that if I bought a minimum purchase of 30,000 additional points, then I can get preferred status as a Prime Platinum member (the names of the levels make me laugh!). So I did and received the new benefits. Then this summer I bought out someone's Lake Geneva TS with their 112,500 points. These combined put me over the 300,000 point level and SHOULD have put me into Preferred Platinum status (as opposed to Prime Platinum......see what I mean????). Anyway, I got off the phone with them today and they said even though I bought points from one of the three, they do NOT count towards my level/status. This, needless to say, somewhat disheartened me.

Could anyone confirm that what I was told is true and the points do not count towards my status? And if so, is there a way to remedy that (like buy more "retail" points)?

Thank you,

golfman

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is correct. If you purchase resale from Myrtle Beach, Gatlinburg or Lake Geneva the points do transfer but they DO NOT count toward your status level. To bring your original Cape Canaveral deed into Prime Platinum the 30,000 point purchase is somewhat typical. To bring the 112,500 points into the system so they count towards status they typically will require you to make a purchase larger than 30,000 points. They have run a special in each of the last 2 years that made it easier to bring a resale deed so that it counts towards status but there is no guarantee it will be offered again. The increase in status is nice but since your points already transfer as points I myself wouldn't spend a whole lot just to increase a level.