• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RESTAURANT.COM GIFT CERTIFICATES @ 70% OFF - (Expires July 31)

JoeP

TUG Member
Reaction score
$25 dollar gift certificates list for $10; get them now for $3.
"Simply enter discount code: PRESENT at checkout and hit "recalculate total" "
This offer expires July 31.

JoeP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion: Buy Restaurant.com gift certificates for later use (they have no expiration date) at 70% 0ff. Hold them in your account and use them to buy restaurant certificates when you need them.

susan1738

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks JoeP

I've been using Restaurant.com for YEARS and never thought of that!! I got on this morning and bought 5! You are so smart!! Way to play the system! It probably seemed pretty obvious to you to do this, but NEVER even occurred to me! Thanks again!! :cheer:

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
hope I did it right.

Suggestion: Buy Restaurant.com gift certificates for later use (they have no expiration date) at 70% 0ff. Hold them in your account and use them to buy restaurant certificates when you need them.

I hope I did this right. I bought 10- $25 ones ($250 value) for $30. I bought them as gift certs. I only personalized one of them. Does this mean the rest will just sit in my account until I want them - with no expiration date?

Another question - normally our bill is higher than $25 (with 2 kids and all). Should I buy some $50 ones - so it will cover our bill? I see you can't use more than one cert at a time. I'm thinking then I could feed the family for $6.

Also - since I bought the gift certificates I can use them anywhere right? So if we are traveling & there is a merchant there that takes them we can use them?

Thanks so much for the link and coupon code.

Tug is great!!

JimJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope I did this right. I bought 10- $25 ones ($250 value) for $30. I bought them as gift certs. I only personalized one of them. Does this mean the rest will just sit in my account until I want them - with no expiration date?

Yes

[/QUOTE]Another question - normally our bill is higher than $25 (with 2 kids and all). Should I buy some $50 ones - so it will cover our bill? I see you can't use more than one cert at a time. I'm thinking then I could feed the family for $6.[/QUOTE]

A $25 certificate is normally only good on a $35 purchase, thus costs $10 plus the certificate cost. Some restuarants have a higher than $35 minimum.

[/QUOTE]Also - since I bought the gift certificates I can use them anywhere right? So if we are traveling & there is a merchant there that takes them we can use them?[/QUOTE]

In effect , yes. You just have to look at the website to find out what restuarants have coupons available. As the month goes on some restuarants "run out of coupons." However, if you have the gift certificates sitting in your account you can look early in the month and have a better shot of getting a certificate for the really popular places.

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
going a little crazy with this.

I think I'm going a little crazy with this. I did buy 10 cert's for $25 value each.

I just went back and bought 4 more - but this time picked the resturants that I know we will go to.

Thanks again.

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell Me Again

I admit it - I have a complete brain block over this :eek: I've asked before and thought I understood the answer but really, I don't think I do.

I buy a $25 GIFT certificate for $3. It sits in my account until I need it to buy a DINING certificate to the restaurant of my choice. Ok so far.

What value is sitting in my account...$25 or $3? If $25, then I can buy 6 DINING certificates in the future (say at $4 each) for the $3 I paid to get the $25 GIFT certificate...right? Wrong?

Please help me but use SMALL words and baby steps :eek:

catwgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that you have $25 value in your account (for which you paid $3) That $25 credit can be used to purchase one $25 dining certificate.

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that you have $25 value in your account (for which you paid $3) That $25 credit can be used to purchase one $25 dining certificate.

Ok, I can understand that. So what I am really doing is saving $1 by buying now, as I usually wait until the 60% off sales to buy a Dining cert. at my fav restaurant (and pay $4 for the $25 DC). Not that big of an additional savings to my mind, but at least I understand. Thanks!

Now, recently there was a buy a DC and get a $10 GC for free. So if I had done that, I would have a $10 GC in my account. But my fav restaurant only sells $25 DC...so I wouldn't be able to use the $10 GC to pay for it...right? There's no "pay the difference" option right now...right?

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Keeping in mind that the regular price of a $25 dining certificate is actually $10 . . . so you are getting a good savings of $10 ---> $3. The 50-60% off deals do happen around the year, but if you know you're going to be using them sometime in the coming year, why not save as much as possible? Besides, there is no risk because of you get a DC and don't use it, you can have that "value" (the $25) put back into your account).

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
ok - I'm confused now.

Now I getting confused. Is it best for me to buy GC and leave them in my account - till I need them? I'm thinking that is the best way. Someone said they never expire - right?

I by mistake ordered 2 of the same in HHI. Actually I did it on purpose, but reading the fine print - I waont' be able to use (cause you can only use at the resturant one time per month).

Are they pretty strict about that?

JimJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, I can understand that. So what I am really doing is saving $1 by buying now, as I usually wait until the 60% off sales to buy a Dining cert. at my fav restaurant (and pay $4 for the $25 DC). Not that big of an additional savings to my mind, but at least I understand. Thanks!

If you normally wait until the mid-month "normal" 60% off is offered, then yes, you are only saving $1. However, that is a 25% reduction, so in percentage terms it is quite a savings (if only my investments could earn that each year!) Additionally though, some of the more popular restaurants "run out of coupons" before the 60% offer becomes available. If you have the gift certificates in your account you can snag these places early each month before they run out. Otherwise, you would have to pay $10 to get one.

Now, recently there was a buy a DC and get a $10 GC for free. So if I had done that, I would have a $10 GC in my account. But my fav restaurant only sells $25 DC...so I wouldn't be able to use the $10 GC to pay for it...right? There's no "pay the difference" option right now...right?

You are correct.

Last edited:

JimJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I getting confused. Is it best for me to buy GC and leave them in my account - till I need them? I'm thinking that is the best way. Someone said they never expire - right?

It makes it easy if you already have a supply in your account, especially when you purchase them at 60% or 70& off. You do have to pay upfront though , so you have some funds tied up for a while, and I suppose you could somehow forget about them and never use them (but a TUGGER would never do that!)

I by mistake ordered 2 of the same in HHI. Actually I did it on purpose, but reading the fine print - I waont' be able to use (cause you can only use at the resturant one time per month).

If your HHI stay would over lap the end of month time period you would probably be able to use one each before and after the month end.

Are they pretty strict about that?

I don't know for sure, but they do have to call the 800# for verification. Since it is all automated I would imagine that it is enforced pretty easy. I wouldn't chance it personally unless it was a restaurant that I really liked and was willing to pay "full price" if necessary.

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

It makes it easy if you already have a supply in your account, especially when you purchase them at 60% or 70& off. You do have to pay upfront though , so you have some funds tied up for a while, and I suppose you could somehow forget about them and never use them (but a TUGGER would never do that!)

If your HHI stay would over lap the end of month time period you would probably be able to use one each before and after the month end.

I don't know for sure, but they do have to call the 800# for verification. Since it is all automated I would imagine that it is enforced pretty easy. I wouldn't chance it personally unless it was a restaurant that I really liked and was willing to pay "full price" if necessary.

Patty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Get your frequent flyer miles by going to the restaurant.com site through your favorite airline's shopping with partners site. I use American's Aadvantage e-shopping for five miles per dollar spent. Put in the code word for the discount when you check out and get a double bargain - miles and cheap certificates.

Arkansas Winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something here. OP indicated the offer expired on July 31. I just went to the site and it says the certificates are $10.

Am I not looking in the right spot or have they possibly recinded the offer?

:confused:

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
The last time a Tugger posted a link I went over to take a look but bought nothing. :wall: This time I looked over all the restaurants in my area and was pleasantly surprised! I bought 5 for future use and 5 specific restaurant certificates. Thanks, Joe, for posting the discount code. :)

judyjht

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will say $10 until you put in the coupon code and then "recalculate"

haycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JimJ
It makes it easy if you already have a supply in your account, especially
when you purchase them at 60% or 70& off.

I wasn't aware you could just buy certificates and make your choices later. Do you just request to purchase a Gift Certificate? Do you have to include the name of the gift recipient? Do they have an expiration date?

I just copied this from Restaurant.com ~ Important Stuff: Yes it really is the first time EVER for 70% off in July! This offer cannot be combined with any other discount, rebate or promotion. When redeeming a Restaurant.com Gift Certificate from the Gift Center, these savings cannot be applied. Offer ends on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 at 11:59PM CDT.

Does this impact on what you all have been saying?

Thanks in advance if you can help my currently overloaded brain understand this.

Barbara

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

I wasn't aware you could just buy certificates and make your choices later. Do you just request to purchase a Gift Certificate? Do you have to include the name of the gift recipient? Do they have an expiration date?

I just copied this from Restaurant.com ~ Important Stuff: Yes it really is the first time EVER for 70% off in July! This offer cannot be combined with any other discount, rebate or promotion. When redeeming a Restaurant.com Gift Certificate from the Gift Center, these savings cannot be applied. Offer ends on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 at 11:59PM CDT.

Thanks in advance if you can help my currently overloaded brain understand this.

Barbara

My guess is they aren't going to refund money or increase what the GC is worth because of the sale. I bought 3 $25 certificates for $9 to use when the places I want to go have them again after the first.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)

Barbara

When we did it last December during the 70% sale, I did the "gift certificate" for the $100's worth to my husband . . . paid $12 . . . and then used the certificates throughout this year to purchase 4 $25 dining certificates.

I finally did get through yesterday to do the same purchase again. We will use the $100 in "value" to purchase $25 dining certificates in the coming year when we travel.

It is very easy so don't let it overwhelm you.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you redeem your GC for a specific restaurant, when does the specific restaurant gift certificate expire? Thinking about redeeming to have a specific restaurant on hand, but wasn't sure how long they're good for? Also, how long does it take before you receive the specific restaurant gift certificate?

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you redeem your GC for a specific restaurant, when does the specific restaurant gift certificate expire? Thinking about redeeming to have a specific restaurant on hand, but wasn't sure how long they're good for? Also, how long does it take before you receive the specific restaurant gift certificate?

Usually it's good for 12 month.

I print my restaurant certificates out - either right away and keep them in a folder or ...the confirming email from Restaurant.com has a link in it that takes me to the place on their site where I can print the cert. out as I need it. Either way works.