• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

    Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

    Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

    Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

    Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

    Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free!

    60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

    All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reservations help?

LauraTexan

TUG Member
Joined
May 24, 2010
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
Houston, Texas
I have hopes in trying to get reservations at either Harborside or St. John mid summer. I realize these are the busiest weeks and the busiest resorts, but our family of high school and college students is limited to a 3 week window with school and work schedules. It had been suggested that I make reservations at our home resort at WKORVN in case I cannot get a week I want, so I did this a few weeks ago. I was actually glad I did this as they had limited availability for the weeks we can travel next summer.

This morning when I called to try to make reservations 8 months out there was only the small 1BR at Harborside and nothing at St. John. The reservation agent mentioned that even if they had a unit available, by the time she cancelled my existing reservation, that unit would probably be gone. So.... should I cancel my reservations for WKORVN? We have been to Maui twice now and were really interested in trying something else anyway. But on the other hand, I don't want to get stuck without anything. If we do end up gong back to Hawaii, maybe we would be interested in trying Kaui if that is avaialable.

So here are my questions:
1. Should I cancel my existing reservations so that I can snag a unit at Harborside or St. John if there is one available?
2. If I call at 8:00am and there is nothing available, would it do any good to call back again? And when? Call right back or later in the day?
3. What is the availability like at Princeville at 7 months out? Can I plan on this as a back up?

This is our first time trying to get a week somewhere else. I would appreciate any help and advice!
 

DeniseM

Moderator
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
58,170
Reaction score
9,773
Location
Northern, CA
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
That sounds like an inexperienced Rep. I'd try someone else.

If you really want this, you should call as often as you can - you never know when they will get a cancellation.

Princeville is an easy exchange at 8 mos. out.
 

oneohana

TUG Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
518
Reaction score
26
Location
los angeles
If the rep needs to cancel a reservation it will take time. So, the rep gave you correct advice.

If you are trying to reserve Harborside during the summer, there can be to hick-ups in the reservation process.
 

woodyd70

TUG Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Messages
186
Reaction score
0
You should get what you need

I would be very surprised if you don't get what you're looking for, HRA will probably actually be a bit easier than St John, but I really think you'll get your reservation especially with a 3 week window to work with. You need to be very persistent, but you will be fine.

Good luck
 

jarta

TUG Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
2,916
Reaction score
1
Location
Chicago
1. Should I cancel my existing reservations so that I can snag a unit at Harborside or St. John if there is one available? You must decide this yourself. However, if you cancel before calling you decrease the ability to go back where you were. If you cancel after finding out there is a vacancy at a premium resort, there is a distinct possibility that if you cancel then you will find the week gone in the 1-2 minutes the cancellation takes to return the StarOptions to your account. However, there is a chance that your original reservation that was canceled is still available. No guarantee that you won't end up without anything.
2. If I call at 8:00am and there is nothing available, would it do any good to call back again? And when? Call right back or later in the day? Call back the next day or two. Sometimes people reserve a Friday check-in and really want a Saturday or Sunday check-in. If they get it, they release the Friday check-in. Call back anytime. If exactly what you want is not available, be flexible as to dates. Ask the agent about all availablity at the resort. Something might work.
3. What is the availability like at Princeville at 7 months out? Can I plan on this as a back up? Not as good as at 8 months out. Planning on Princeville as a backup? Probably OK, as DeniseM stated, but at 8 months.

Good luck to you! ... eom
 

LauraTexan

TUG Member
Joined
May 24, 2010
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
Houston, Texas
Thanks for all the advice. I actually meant yesterday to go ahead and cancel our existing reservation. However, I got busy and forgot. So this morning there was a large 1BR and a small 1BR at Harborside, but by the time we canceled our reservation, they were gone. And nothing at St. John. I will keep trying!!!
 
Top