• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescission @ Silverleaf Resort - nervous

TalleyHo

Reaction score
Argh... I'm so mad at myself for getting suckered into a week I didn't want. My wife seemed so excited and I got caught up in the excitement as well. I'm so mad at myself for being a dope!

That said, I'm writing my rescission letter now. I'm so nervous b/c all the threads say to follow the instructions exactly. And there are numerous examples of a LOT of things to include (ie the 10 things to include in a rescission letter).

However, at Silverleaf, you get an Exhibit A. It simply says that if I decide to cancel this contract I should hand deliver notice of cancellation to the dev or by mailing notice. It doesn't say anything to include. I'm so mad at myself that I *think* I have my bases covered, but I thought I'd get your opinions of if this is enough. My letter below.

---

This letter is to inform you that I am exercising my legal right to cancel the contract to purchase [Resort Name], [Unit # / Week] dated November 11, 2012. We expect a full refund of our deposit in the amount of $$. Do not make any additional charges to my credit card regarding this sale. Please confirm receipt of this cancellation in writing or via the email and/or phone number below within 24 hours of receipt. I have already contacted customer service on November 13, 2012 to inform them of my intent to cancel this transaction.

I'm including Exhibit A (that includes these vague instructions), a copy of the loan sheet for down payment reference. Customer service indicated they had copies of everything and I didn't need to include them, but I'd rather be safe than [more] sorry.

Comments and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. I just want to be able to sleep tonight!

I hope to take advantage of the rentals and such here to augment our vacationing.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts and observations...

<snip> Please confirm receipt of this cancellation in writing or via the email and/or phone number below within 24 hours of receipt. I have already contacted customer service on November 13, 2012 to inform them of my intent to cancel this transaction. <snip>

The phone contact with "customer service" regarding your intent to cancel has no legal meaning or significance, but your letter certainly covers the cancellation bases adequately. I hope that you sent it by certified mail in order to be able prove (...if necessary) the actual mailing date. Receipt signature is not necessary --- postmark date is all that really matters in the end.

Although you have made the request, please know that the resort (whatever and wherever it may be) is not legally obligated to provide you with any sort of "confirmation" or "reply", let alone "within 24 hours of receipt". They are obligated only to process your rescission, if submitted within the time parameters of that particular state's applicable laws. That said, you'll probably get phone calls from sales weasels looking to salvage their commission by trying to "sweeten the deal". Don't take their calls and don't engage them in any way.

Good job in dodging an expensive bullet. :clap:

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
Drop it in the mail and get a confirmation of mailing from the Post Office. That's all you need...but you do need to get it in the mail ASAP.

These guys are actually pretty good at processing rescission letters. If they weren't, the various State Attorney Offices would be all over them. Remember, these Resort Groups only need few sales to stick and they've made some pretty darn good money.

Now go to ebay at get a true feel for the bullet you are dodging...

Oh, and why worry? You Texans are seceding from the Union anyways if the news is correct!

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you've done as you said in your original post, you will be just fine. I speak from experience, as I have rescinded with Silverleaf twice. :eek: We love our Silverleaf timeshare, it can be a really good mini-system, but not at the bloated developer prices. The real value with Silverleaf is the bonus time, which usually doesn't transfer with resale. So it's kind of a catch-22.

Anyway, relax, it will work out, just don't get too worried if they do not "acknowledge" your letter. Watch for the refund, that is probably all the notice you will get.

TalleyHo

Reaction score
Yea - the bonus time in the presidential units was kind of the thing that made it tempting to say yes... again...

I had all 3 varieties of traceable mail ready. I ended up going USPS priority overnight. I want it there tomorrow, so I can call and make sure it is all good by Friday. In the event I did something stupid [again], I have one more day to make it right.

I'm still just so pissed at myself for saying yes, when the boss and I both agreed walking in the door we weren't happy w/ our current situation, and wanted out! ARGH! :doh::mad:

I realize the other forms of comms have no legal repurcussions, but my hope with the phone number for the confirmation was just that -- even if they call to sweeten the deal (I'm prepared to have my sponsor ready to help me say no!), at least I know they received it.

My first 2013 new year's resolution is - stop doing stupid things, and #2 is refer to #1 when making all decisions.

Thanks for the feedback. It's helped settle the nerves...

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you call they will try to talk you out of rescinding

Proof of mailing is all you need

Then be patient for the refund

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is good advice --- take it!

If you call they will try to talk you out of rescinding

Proof of mailing is all you need

Then be patient for the refund

Absolutely correct. Do not call. There is no point or possible benefit in doing so --- and any conversation which you initiate (or participate in) can just be conveniently "misunderstood".
Close the door, lock it behind you and stay off the phone!

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo & I went to different schools together