• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale ownership

dryden

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I buy Marriott resale (not via Marriott), does Marriott have an internal trading program, not using points- just week for week, that can be used to go to different Marriotts or will I need to go through II? What "benefits" do I lose via outside resale?

inishbofin

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to use II for trading

Marriott does not have an internal system for trading.
With a resale you lose the ability to trade for Marriott rewards points (not much of a loss).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Marriott does not have an internal system for trading.
With a resale you lose the ability to trade for Marriott rewards points (not much of a loss).

Sure they do, though the internal system for trading isn't for weeks based exchanges or available on post 6/20/2010 resale weeks. The new DC points program is an exchange system for legacy weeks owners.

Through II they still call them Marriott to Marriott trades, and many still refer to it as an internal exchange, even though II is still used.

dryden

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
this is what i want to know...

what is the tiering for exchanges? let's say i own a platinum 2bdrm in Grande Vista summer platinum and want the same sized winter week in Utah- how does the process work? Do points owners get preferrence via Marriott before it gets to II? If there is no points owner who put in a request for that specific week on file, does it then go to II who holds it for x # of days (24?) in case a Marriott owner wants it? If not, does it then go into II's general public pool?

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott to Marriott trades via II are pretty easy for just about anything you want so long as you are giving up your entire 2 bedroom for premium trades. For Platinum to Gold season, you can usually get away with just giving up the one bedroom side.

HOWEVER, ski weeks and Carolina summer weeks are as close to impossible trades as they come, even for Marriott owners. If you want a ski week or a summer beach week in the Carolinas, there is no way around having to buy one of those weeks. Normally, you can get away with buying a cheap trader and exchanging into the more in demand weeks/properties, but not ski weeks and not summer Carolina weeks. If you only want a one bedroom or a studio ski week and are willing to give-up your entire 2 bedroom Grande Vista (if that is what you buy) then you should be pretty successful, so long as you don't want a holiday week. All the ski resorts lock off and you can bet that those owners who deposit into II are locking off their unit, so there are not many full 2 bedroom deposits.

Bottom line is that any platinum 2 bedroom Marriott will trade very powerfully in II, especially for other Marriott properties. But, ski weeks and Carolina summer weeks are nearly impossible, even for owners of other Marriott ski weeks and summer beach weeks. II works mostly on a like for like exchange principle. For example, say you want to exchange into a two bedroom Mountain Side in February. First in line for those trades will be other Mountain Side owners Platinum Plus and Platinum week owners. Next will be other Platinum Marriott ski week owners from the other resorts. Some Gold week owners at the ski resorts could be next in line, depending on the trade power of their weeks. Afrer all the other "like" ski resort owners will be other Platinum Marriott owners giving up like size units. It would be reasonable to assume Platinum beach owners would be first in line over any of the inland resorts (Orlando, Branson, Williamsburg, the desert), since platinum beach weeks are in such high demand, but I'm not sure. What I am sure about is that platinum 2 bedroom deposits will beat platinum 1 bedroom deposits in terms of who gets the trade first, though.

So, best option is to buy a week you would actually want to use most of the time. I know that is not an option for many people, including myself when I first bought into Marriott a couple years ago. The next best option is to buy a high power trader (any Platinum Marriott week will do) but know that you will be disapointed most of the time, and maybe even all of the time if you expect to get a 2 bedroom ski week or summer beach week in the Carolinas.

Hope that helps, and good luck. I will just add that Marriott to Marriott trades via II are getting better. Last year, the DC really took the best inventory from II and used it for DC members. This is still happening a lot in II, but it has gotten a little better. Marriott takes the best deposits from II (i.e. ski weeks summer beach weeks) and gives those weeks to DC members. Marriott is supposed to replace any week they take from II with a like week but we all know that "like" is very subjective -- same as a platinum inland Marriott week being "like" a platinum ski week in terms of a trade.

what is the tiering for exchanges? let's say i own a platinum 2bdrm in Grande Vista summer platinum and want the same sized winter week in Utah- how does the process work? Do points owners get preferrence via Marriott before it gets to II? If there is no points owner who put in a request for that specific week on file, does it then go to II who holds it for x # of days (24?) in case a Marriott owner wants it? If not, does it then go into II's general public pool?

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
If I buy Marriott resale (not via Marriott), does Marriott have an internal trading program, not using points- just week for week, that can be used to go to different Marriotts or will I need to go through II? What "benefits" do I lose via outside resale?

Of course you can always do a direct Marriott-to-Marriott exchange with another owner using a well-known website.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

Try really playing the size game. Purchase a 3 bedroom at GV and trade..You will get Ski weeks and summer HHI 2 bedrooms. I did this for 6 years before joining DC...ski week at Mountainside. i traded my 3 bedroom for Feb mountainside 6 years running. When I deposited my 3 bedroom GV and 2 bedroom Waiohai and m I would bet 3 bedroom GC in Vegas would do even better.. 3 bedroom Imperial palms would work too!!!!

IN II BIGGER is BETTER

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Puck's quote about the bigger the unit to deposit, the better in II is right on. I just wanted to add that those ski week and summer carolina exchanges Puck mentioned all occured before the DC. The DC has really made those prime trades in II nearly impossible. Prior to the DC club, lots of inland Marriott owners could bank on using their week for a summer Carolina exchange or ski week. Now, Tug is littered with people explaining how those days are long gone.

If you buy a 3 bedroom, just note that the dues will be close to 1,300 a year. Ouch! When you add the II yearly dues of $90 and the $140 exchange fee, you are already over 1.5k for just one trade. There are cheaper timeshares to buy. For example, Willowridge is $900 a year in dues, only a two bedroom but it trades exceptionally well and you could buy a platinum week for $100 or so via ebay.

good morning....

Try really playing the size game. Purchase a 3 bedroom at GV and trade..You will get Ski weeks and summer HHI 2 bedrooms. I did this for 6 years before joining DC...ski week at Mountainside. i traded my 3 bedroom for Feb mountainside 6 years running. When I deposited my 3 bedroom GV and 2 bedroom Waiohai and m I would bet 3 bedroom GC in Vegas would do even better.. 3 bedroom Imperial palms would work too!!!!

IN II BIGGER is BETTER

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score

My thoughts -
First what you lose, Ability to trade for point and you are not eligible to enroll in DC program.
For most, the DC is a cost savings if they own multiple lock-offs, since they pay one fee.

If you ask Marriott Sale rep, they will tell you that eventually everyone will be part of DC and no good trades will be available in the future.
My experience so far is that I have seen some times without as much availability early (Christmas week, etc) but that it did show up. This year it seems to be later. May be DC or maybe just this year.

All that said, with all the changes being made, I would be concerned buying a unit just for trades.
Most of the people who are unhappy with the new Marriott program or Time Shares in general are people who bought a unit solely to trade.
As time goes by, their maintenance fees continue to increase and they find they can not trade.
If you are flexible and can go off season, then trading works.
If you are buying and want to get the 4th of July beach, Spring Training Desert or Winter Ski - you will probably be disappointed.

My number one suggestion is always buy somewhere you would be happy going to because when you buy that is all you are buying.