• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting VSN or MVC timeshares perspectives?

ndang3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how much more difficult it's been post pandemic to rent? In the past I would post things on TUG and get a lot of inquiries which eventually would lead to rental agreements. These days potential renters are much picker about weeks, views, and haggling prices. Understandably inflation is compounding cost frustrations for everyone....but it just seems the overall timeshare rental market culture has changed. Maybe it's just me. Just curious what everyone else thinks. Are there other places besides Redweek, TUG and certain private FB groups that you all use to advertise? I am starting to look into Koala.

Last edited:

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I think the behavior has definitely changed. In particular for locations where many people can drive like Westin Kierland or Newport Coast Villas, I now get inquiries much closer to the checkin date. I used to rent out those locations 8+ months in advance, not it's just 2-4 months in advance, and I often get inquiries within 60 days. I have a July rental at Crystal Shores (inherited from seller) that is still unrented, but that's one we'll use if it doesn't rent so I'm not too worried about it. Even at HRA, which involves flight, it's been taking longer. Pricewise, it's mixed. I think WKV has seen a drop, especially after a large increase in 2022 post-covid. But demand at NCV is robust and prices are substantially higher than pre-pandemic. It helps having 20 million people within driving distance.

I think lots of renters like the "verified and protected" process which I don't use (still scarred from the Redweek covid treatment). Things may rent faster and at higher prices for those who use that.

tamu_bu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Rented WKV small 1 bedroom in 2022 about 90 days out using Koala. Good experience with them. I like how their website works. They verify all listings and no charge to list - just the commission if it rents. I think it was 8%.

ndang3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rented WKV small 1 bedroom in 2022 about 90 days out using Koala. Good experience with them. I like how their website works. They verify all listings and no charge to list - just the commission if it rents. I think it was 8%.
Did you have to undercut the rate since they charge a booking fee and commission? They market themselves as a "discounted" channel...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Did you have to undercut the rate since they charge a booking fee and commission? They market themselves as a "discounted" channel...
Discounted when compared to renting direct from the developer...

tamu_bu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
My pricing strategy was simple. Checked comparable redweek and koala listings and priced my listing towards the lower end of the price/night. Since I considered those my main competitors I didn't worry about booking fees.

The rental was for Mar 2023. My ad ran 7 months before getting a renter in early Jan 2023 but that could have been because I set the cancellation rule as "no refunds".

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I haven’t had issues. I have noticed that ppl are waiting to rent in the last 45-60 days.

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very happy renting our WKV weeks in late Feb, early March the last couple years through Redweek Verified listing. Saw some crazy high pricing during those periods, but we were happy to rent for about double our maintenance fees both years. Hopefully planning to use those weeks ourselves next year.