• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting to an agent?

Scotten

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because we don't really want to go to Harborside every year and we have small children, I am going to rent our week again.

I remember from the last time I rented it (2007) how annoying it is to deal with agents - most want to lowball my rate. I ended telling several of them to shove off and rented my week for full price directly to a family.

Now I have a decent offer from an agent, but have a question for TUGers: if an agent wants to rent a week for her client, whose name appears in my lease documents? The agent or the renter? I assume the latter, as if there are any problems, I want my recourse to be with the party who would be causing any problems.

I still don't like dealing with agents, but a bird in hand...

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The renter's name should be in the lease. That's the "responsible" party.

However, beware that you don't fall victim to one of the many agent scams. If the agent offers to send you a certified or cashier's check for more than your asking price, requesting that the excess be sent back to the agent or to a third party, run in the opposite direction as fast as you can. The agent will be a scammer - guaranteed - and the check (fraudulent) will bounce weeks later, leaving you stuck for the amount you sent to the agent (who will have disappeared) and your bank's fees for depositing an NSF check.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto on what Dave M said! And definitely don't give an agent any money up front! Whatever commission the agents wants should come out of what the renter pays.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Good point, Judy! I forgot that! Some scammers will ask for that upfront fee and then say, "Oops! The renter backed out. But we will find a new renter for you for no additional fee." Strange how another renter never materializes and no refund of the fee is ever available, no matter what the guarantee was....

Scotten

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, this appears to be valid. They have a renter already lined up and are prepared to provide a certified check.

However, the agent is someone from sellmytimesharenow.com. I've read some negative comments abou them here, although they all concern selling timeshares, not renting them. Any feedback?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not a problem. Just be sure that any fee you agree on is taken out of the proceeds that are to be sent to you. Do not give them your credit card info or accept a check for more than the net amount you are owed. Even a scammer can spoof an origination from a seemingly real company.

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be very careful even if they give you a certified cheque. A certified cheque can be forged and is still only good if it clears the banking system so if you accept that form of payment do so on condition that the deal will not be finalized until you have confirmation from your bank that the cheque has been authenticated and cleared through the system. That would normally take several days. As the other posters mentioned if the cheque is made out for too much and the agent is requesting a refund of the difference DO NOT send back money because for sure it is a scam. If the deal is above board the agent will accept those terms. You might consider an escrow service to handle your rental transactions.

Last edited:

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
I rent to and from both Beth and Nick at Sell My Timeshare Now on a regular basis and all transactions have gone smoothly.

Since we work on a professional basis we each have paperwork that must be filled out regarding guest information and payment.

Thanks,

Cindy
540-560-2987