• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting Owned Weeks

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to rent out two different weeks which I own in October next year, one in Paris the other in Spain. It looks as if I have secured interested parties. I made reservations through Marriott but obviously they are in my name.

Can you please advise what, if anything I need to do now, I assume I have to transfer the weeks to the people who are staying, if so how is this done and is there a charge please.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You have to call Marriott reservations, with your guest's name, and request a new confirmation. They will email it to you, and you can forward it to the guest.

If the rental falls through, you can put the reservation back in your own name.

I'm only saying this because there are a lot of rental scams out there - what method are you using to accept payment?

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to call Marriott reservations, with your guest's name, and request a new confirmation. They will email it to you, and you can forward it to the guest.

If the rental falls through, you can put the reservation back in your own name.

I'm only saying this because there are a lot of rental scams out there - what method are you using to accept payment?

Thanks for the advise. One is to a friend so I feel confident about the payment, the other will pay via PayPal, at least six months before the rental starts, so hopefully will all be OK

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks for the advise. One is to a friend so I feel confident about the payment, the other will pay via PayPal, at least six months before the rental starts, so hopefully will all be OK

That is a good plan - scammers don't usually want to use Paypal.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I know you mentioned payment already, but I wanted to reiterate that it's important to get payment immediately before you do anything further, ensuring a commitment from your renters (whether friend or stranger). Highly suggest a signed contract expounding YOUR terms (whether renter is friend or not).

Also suggest full price now (non-refundable), but other reasonable option is half now and other half 1-2 months prior to check-in, with first half-payment non-refundable. Stuff happens, and you don't want to be found lacking.

No one who is genuinely interested and trustworthy should be opposed to a contract, as it protects both parties. Good luck, we've always had good experiences renting (to and from).

EDIT: thanks Denise, you're exactly right...... in hindsight, 1-2 months before check-in is indeed too long to wait. I was thinking of the one time I did do that---- one time due to extenuating circumstances of a friend, all others were full price up-front. I do insist on contracts though, as it does have the effect on the renting party that it mentally reminds them that it's "enforceable", and that is a good deterrent to defaulting, and prompts payment in a timely manner as specified in the contract by a definite date (usually a week or so away from initial verbal commitment). thx

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I certainly would not wait 1-2 mos. before check-in to get the final payment. If they default on the rental, you may not have enough time to re-rent it.

I collect a $100 deposit, send the confirmation, and then the final payment is due in full.

I absolutely agree that you need to have clear rental terms, but a contract really doesn't really provide any protection unless you would be willing to sue the other party to enforce the contract.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I get 50 percent upfront, put the reservation in the renter's name and get the balance 90 days before occupancy. If the balance never comes in, I can try to re-rent it for a couple weeks and still have the option to deposit it in II before it gets to the 60 days deadline there. I use the TUG rental agreement.