• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting out an interval week not owned by you?

L

laurac260

Pls refresh my memory on this, did I hear on here that if you pick up a week from interval then can't use it, are u allowed to then rent it out to someone? Looking at a rental on redweek and it just came out in conversation they don't own this wk, it's thru a trade.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe II rules don't allow you to accept any compensation for an exchanged week. It is rent at your own risk. I've read of Tuggers who have had friends check in things went poorly.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe II rules don't allow you to accept any compensation for an exchanged week. It is rent at your own risk. I've read of Tuggers who have had friends check in things went poorly.

You can't rent an exhcnage week but there should be no reason you cannot have a friend check-in.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I got a week in Kauai thru II a few years back and then learned that my son would be at Freshman Orientation part of that week at Cornell, so we couldn't use it. Not knowing the rules (that you can't rent out a week you got thru trade at II) I rented it thru ebay. I did get someone asking if I owned the week. I replied that I traded for it but couldn't use it and explained why. Someone eventually rented it and I never heard that they had any problems checking in, so I guess it went thru OK. I just obtained a guest certificate for them when they paid me for the week. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't do it because now I know you aren't supposed to. I would never rent from someone who didn't own the week because of what others have stated - you may have trouble checking in and may not be able to.

L

laurac260

Here's the e-mail I sent:
Thanks for the info. I can't with good conscience rent this week from you. II does not allow for the renting of weeks garnered thru trade. I can't be party to this , as much as I want the week. If you don't own the week it isn't yours to rent out.

This is the reply I got:

I think you are misunderstanding this. We have done this before and it is perfectly "legal" to do so. I am sorry you feel this way. We called and made sure.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
II has a small fee for a guest certificate so someone else can use it...and the reservation is put in their name. I have done this many times with my deposits for friends or my kids. I suppose the fee would permit you and a renter to come to terms privately...but doing it on eBay might be risky.

uop1497

Reaction score
laurac260,

At least you got a reply. For my case, It is so funny. I was told the room available if I want to rent . As soon as I reply with my inquiry question whether they rent their own week or an exchange week. Immediately, the reply I got back is " the room is rented" or no reply back at all.

I have been thinking all rentals posted on Redweek are from owners who posted their unused week for rent. Maybe I am wrong .

Bill4728

Reaction score
II has a small fee for a guest certificate so someone else can use it...and the reservation is put in their name. I have done this many times with my deposits for friends or my kids. I suppose the fee would permit you and a renter to come to terms privately...but doing it on eBay might be risky.

Renting a week you have gotten thru an II exchange on a public forum like ebay or redweek is asking for trouble. Giving a week you can't use to a "friend" who nicely gives you something (even money) will not get you into trouble probably. I just wouldn't use any kind of public forum.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that you forward the information on the week to II.

The reason for them wanting to stop this benefits everyone.

The more people who do this (rent traded weeks), the fewer weeks available to everyone.

Anything you can do to stop it helps everyone.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO there is something inherently dishonest and unscrupulous about renting out a week that you got as a trade if you requested the trade specifically to rent. THe owner purchased a week at a resort with a lesser rent value. THey trade their week for a week at a better resort so they can get more rent than they can at their home resort. This week is now not available to owners at that resort who paid more money for their week then the trader did. Even if the owner at the resort wants to rent their week out they should be able to get the week they want to do that.

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gift it to family or a good friend!

Make an investment in relationships you value the most.

No rental fee will ever come close to your ROI with family and lasting friendships!

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO there is something inherently dishonest and unscrupulous about renting out a week that you got as a trade if you requested the trade specifically to rent. THe owner purchased a week at a resort with a lesser rent value. THey trade their week for a week at a better resort so they can get more rent than they can at their home resort. This week is now not available to owners at that resort who paid more money for their week then the trader did. Even if the owner at the resort wants to rent their week out they should be able to get the week they want to do that.

The week was gone the minute either an owner or the developer deposited it into II. whether the exchanger rents it or uses it makes no difference to room availability. It does how ever allow them to under cut owners trying to rent to recover mf.

uop1497

Reaction score
I just wonder how much money the owner (who rent out an exchange week to rent) normally gain from their rental . How much they paid for getting the exchange week and the guest certificate.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wonder how much money the owner (who rent out an exchange week to rent) normally gain from their rental . How much they paid for getting the exchange week and the guest certificate.

I just exchanged into WKORVN 2 bedroom in late sept. My MF are $600, $149 exchange fee, plus $50 guest certificate. So at $800 I could take way less than an owner and still make money. Don't worry I'm taking my family.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
The week was gone the minute either an owner or the developer deposited it into II. whether the exchanger rents it or uses it makes no difference to room availability. It does how ever allow them to under cut owners trying to rent to recover mf.

True and it also takes that week out of the exchange pool for other Marriott owners who may legitimately be looking to trade into that resort

dickgregory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili Villas 3 BR, Marriott Grande Vista 2 BR,
Veteran
Would renting out a week reserved with an Accommodation Certificate be OK? After all, you didn't trade anything to obtain the AC. We booked something with ours but can't use it now. Have offered the week to family but nobody can use it. We'd sure like to get back the few hundred given to II.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally do have a problem not being able to rent an exchange or AC because 95% of the time its someone just trying to avoid a loss because their plans somehow changed and they end up losing money.

So what if a few people make a few bucks, nobody is going to get rich doing it. There may be a few enterprising people that will make a semi-commercial enterprise but that would be a spit in the ocean and wouldn't effected much of anything.

It always the little guy that gets screwed while the corporation is protected.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Agree totally!

Brian

I personally do have a problem not being able to rent an exchange or AC because 95% of the time its someone just trying to avoid a loss because their plans somehow changed and they end up losing money.

So what if a few people make a few bucks, nobody is going to get rich doing it. There may be a few enterprising people that will make a semi-commercial enterprise but that would be a spit in the ocean and wouldn't effected much of anything.

It always the little guy that gets screwed while the corporation is protected.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
Would renting out a week reserved with an Accommodation Certificate be OK? After all, you didn't trade anything to obtain the AC. We booked something with ours but can't use it now. Have offered the week to family but nobody can use it. We'd sure like to get back the few hundred given to II.

No, this is not allowed either.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do we have the language from the II documents that states this is wrong? I'm just trying to figure out if it's just charging above the exchange fee/guest certificate fee, or if its any money at all

dickgregory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili Villas 3 BR, Marriott Grande Vista 2 BR,
Veteran
Section VI Miscellaneous Provisions, Paragraph 2 Personal Use: Commercial Purposes contained in the MVC Exchange Company Disclosure Guide states:

"Accommodations, Base Exchange Benefits, Base Plus Exchange Benefits, Exchange Benefits, and Use Periods may not be used for any commercial purpose. This prohibition on commercial use includes, but is not limited to, any illegal activity or a pattern of occupancy, rental, leasing, or use by a Member that Exchange Company, in its reasonable discretion, could conclude constitutes a commercial enterprise or practice. In the event a Member is determined to be reserving or using the Accommodations, Base Exchange Benefits, Base Plus Exchange Benefits, Exchange Benefits, and Use Periods for any commercial purpose Exchange Company may immediately cancel any current reservation(s) made by such Member and may impose such additional penalties or restrictions as determined by Exchange Company, in its sole and absolute discretion, from time to time. The restrictions of this paragraph do not apply to Exchange Company or its affiliates or designees.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is interesting...

7. Members acknowledge that:
(c) The exchange privilege should not be the primary reason for
purchasing a Vacation Interest and the relative demand indicated in
a Travel Demand Index and assigned to any particular week should
not be relied upon in determining the value of that week.

Seems that those that buy, only to exchange, are breaking an II Rule