• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

renting car in Munich, drop off austria

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, we rented a car through Autoeurope and pick it up in Munich. I was reading that the Austria requirements are a reflective safety vest in the car and the toll sticker. My question, will the car in Munich be equipped.?Auto europe knows I am dropping off the car in Austria. I called them and was told the cars are equipped but I should check at the counter as well... do most cars in Germany have this stuff already or will I probably have to pick up a sticker when I cross the border ? Any thoughts ?? I plan to ask at the counter for a car with a sticker and the vest but wondered if anyone else experienced this. Just want to be prepared and not get any fines.:) thanks.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The safety equipment should be there. The stickers often are, but that is a matter of luck as to whether a previous renter took it into Austria. The rental company will not provide Austrian or Swiss autobahn stickers themselves.

The one time I rented in Munich for travel in Austria, I had a sticker in place, and I went through either AutoEurope or Europe by Car, although I don't remember which company on the ground the voucher was with.

Janie

Reaction score
We've always had to buy the sticker at the border, but it's very simple to do that. There is a little station like a convenience store right there where you pull over and run in to buy it.

This is the first time I've heard about a requirement for a vest.

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
German cars are also required to have the whole little "safety kit" in the trunk of the car......orange triangle, flares, orange safety vest, the works! We were just in Germany (and travelled into Austria 3 times) this past August. I went into a gas station to get coffee and I guess I took a loooong time (it was an odd Tassimo type machine I had to use, 4 little old men who spoke no English were cheerfully assisting me and having a good laugh at my absolute idiocy) and when I came out my kids were laughing in the back seat and my husband was sitting in the driver's seat, wearing the bright orange safety vest! Everyone driving by was looooooking at him.

Our car (also rented in Munich) also had the Austrian autobahn sticker on it. I actually took a photo of it on my camera and then asked the desk clerk at our timeshare the first morning "Is this the Austrian autobahn sticker?!" and showed him the photo on my camera. It was! But they are easy to get. As noted before, they are available at major border crossings (like on the autobahn between Munich and Salzburg) and also available at any gas station near the autobahn in Austria.

KforKitty

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be just luck if you were given a car with a sticker in place and you should be prepared to purchase it yourself at the border crossing. Its very simple. A safety kit will be available in the car.

Kitty

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
many thanks for prompt responses!!

thanks everyone for your help.. I feel much better and the safety vest thing was on the austria website for drivers... www.austria.info. thanks again !!:whoopie: :)

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, I guess I should have said that I found my husband wearing the orange safety vest because there is one in EVERY car in Germany....including rentals. So yours will come equipped with the safety kit. So if you also want to make a highway fashion statement, just open the trunk of your car! :banana:

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
You could buy a BMW in Munich and drop it off when you are done at several places including Vienna. ~7% off the price and all shipping back to the states etc. is included.:D

I got my last one that way and it was a blast!:whoopie:

Cheers

Rmelnyk

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rented a car in Munchen for about 10 days and traveled to Switzerland. I heared no conversations about tags and vests, either from rental agency or border control. Drove thru each way no problemo
R