• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renter Legitimate?

cathys

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to rent a week. How do I verify that the person who has their add on Tug is an actual member and actually owns that unit? How do I protect myself?

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The best thing to do is confirm directly with the resort before you send any money.

cathys

TUG Member
Reaction score
YOu mean, in this instance, I can just call Royal Resorts and they will answer questions regarding someone else's membership? What questions should I ask specifically?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not all TUG ads are placed by TUG members. There is no requirement for membership to place an ad.

To protect yourself, ask for verification that the renter has the right to rent that week. A copy of the most recent maintenance fee billing. Or a copy of the reservation confirmation (from the resort). Or a copy of an ownership document. Etc. Simply ask for proof of ownership, suggesting some possibilities. If the renter refuses, move on to another ad.

Also insist on having your name added to the reservation or inserted in place of the owner. Call the resort to verify that. Whether the renter will agree to do that before you make final payment is for you and the renter to work out. You don't want to be stiffed, but neither does the renter!

Here's a major reason, other than getting scammed, for asking for proof of ownership: Beware of someone who offers to rent a week obtained from one of the exchange companies - as an exchange, as a Getaway, as a bonus week, etc. Many exchange companies, including II and RCI, prohibit renting weeks obtained through the exchange company. The danger to you is that you might show up and have no place to stay because the exchange company has cancelled the reservation.

Finally, if you still have concerns and if the renter agrees, you can engage an escrow company to hold funds until you have proof that you'll be able to use the week. However, you'll likely have to foot the bill for that service.

You should also consider using a rental agreement. The renter might already have one ready to use. Alternatively, you can use one of the agreements in the Renting section of TUG Advice (link at the top of the page). Many such agreements include provisions for providing you evidence of ownership, the resort's confirmation that you'll be able to use the week or some other aid in helping you to get comfortable with the arrangements. Thus, using such an agreement will save you the trouble of separately asking for all of the suggested info.

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What we do when we rent out our units, is to send the potential renter a copy of our reservation with some pertinent info blacked out, so they can't use the reservation. That gives the renter the assurance that the unit/week has been reserved in our names. Then, after our contract is signed, I contact the Timeshare, and put the reservation into the renters' names.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
cathys said:
YOu mean, in this instance, I can just call Royal Resorts and they will answer questions regarding someone else's membership? What questions should I ask specifically?

You would tell the owner that you would like to verify the week. He can add you name to the reservation and you can then call the resort to make sure it is done.

Kelsie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Renter

When we rented our Hyatt in Key West for next month, I called the resort and asked for a gift certificate in the renters name. I paid the gc fee to Hyatt and a confirmation was sent to both of us in the renters name. She then sent me 1/2 of the deposit with the balance due the end of January which she paid promptly. Good luck.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kelsie said:
When we rented our Hyatt in Key West for next month, I called the resort and asked for a gift certificate in the renters name. I paid the gc fee to Hyatt and a confirmation was sent to both of us in the renters name. She then sent me 1/2 of the deposit with the balance due the end of January which she paid promptly. Good luck.

You have to pay a fee to let a guest use a unit that you own?

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I do not put the renter's name on the reservation until they have paid in full. If you know the name of the person renting, you can always ask here if anyone knows them. I also find that talking to the person on the phone gives me a good idea of whether or not they are trustworthy.

Kelsie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Renters

Yes, at the Hyatt we paid a $39.00 guest certificate fee.

sinjin

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong here, but please feel free to correct me. I think the renter is the one who has to have faith in the lessor. I've rented many condos and recently a couple of timeshares by owner. I have no real protection after sending a check or paypal to an owner. I am the one taking the chance. The owner can cancel my reservation at any time. Then my only recourse is to sue the owner in small claims court, like that's going to happen when we live across the country from each other.

That's why I won't pay close to rack rate thru a private transaction. If I deal with Westin I know I have certain rights, if I deal with Joe Blo and things go wrong I'm screwed.

That being said, I've rented dozens of weeks and have never been unsatisfied. I think it all comes down to a matter of trust and what you're willing to lose.

geekette

Reaction score
ditto what previous poster said.

additionally, membership in TUG is no guarantee, either, as anyone can become a member, and plenty of us never do.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kelsie said:
Yes, at the Hyatt we paid a $39.00 guest certificate fee.

I find that very strange. Being the owner, you shouldnt have to pay to have guests use your unit.