• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental Agreements - Damages

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The way I understand it, MVCI holds us, the owners, ultimately responsible for damages caused by occupants, even when you rent it. I know some rental agreements say the renter is responsible for said damages, but, in the end, if you are unable to collect from the people you rented to, you are responsible anyway. Is my understanding correct? I do realize you can verify a card, etc, but there are ways around this for any renter of course.

My rental next year is at Desert Springs Villas 2. How can I protect myself as the owner, or, is the agreement all I really have?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is nothing you can do to protect yourself, but it is extremely rare:

-It's extremely rare to hear about intentional damages in high quality rentals. I have never heard of it happening to a Tugger, over many years as a member.

-Almost all resorts run the renter's credit card at check-in and any room charges or damages go on their card.

-One time I had a renter that was extra messy, and my resort charged their credit card for extra cleaning fees.

-I don't rent to people under 25 to avoid the "spring break crowd."

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your standard rental agreement usually has a provision resolving you of liability. However, if the resort requires you to sign an agreement making you responsible you are on the hook, assuming no collection either from the credit card or you. Keep in mind resorts have insurance coverage which also can protect them from excessive damages. Denise, I am sure you mean you would not rent to irresponsible persons who are not credit worthy.

Harry

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Florida wrote a law, "the Spring Break" addeum, to cover intentional damages ... by first upping the credit card to cover all damages. If $100,000 of damages occurs, the card gets charged the full amount... even if the credit card limit is $100. And this amount can NOT be disputed. The cardholder is on the hook.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The standard agreement between myself and the renter might say they are responsible, but that doesn't do any good as far as I know as Marriott is not a party to that agreement. So, Marriott might not agree if something bad happens since they did not sign an agreement with me making me not responsible for it if a violent person rents, etc. No agreement between me and the renter can affect my agreement with Marriott as far as I know?

As DeniseM says, it's highly unlikely, was just curious, am leaving town and thought someone might just know what the official Marriott policy is. Pretty sure Desert Springs does get a credit card at checkin if I recall, making it far less likely as well. I just believe this policy is already in the timeshare agreement with Marriott. But could be wrong.

And yes, Marriott might get a card impression, and if the card is suddenly no good on checkout day or after, stolen, etc.? That's really the scenario. And this is California timeshare. Just trying to do the best possible in other words as far as protecting myself.

Lol, yes I am sure DeniseM means non credit worthy, etc.!