• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renewing my passport- what a pain!

JillC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just send ours in today through regular mail. Got the form at the post office. Said it should take about 4-6 weeks. We've got a bit of time to play with, leave end of March.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That's pretty much what they're saying here. Something about how the underlying documents are not as strict, making it easier for illegals to get a WA ID. I haven't had to get a first ID in a long time, so don't know which underlying documents they're talking about. Certified birth certificates, or surrendering a license from another state seemed to do the trick. So I don't really understand it all.

Today's news on TV says a "big decision" from TSA(?) is forthcoming about it - but the teaser says "It may make you want to get your passport." So it sounds like they're going to finally pull the plug on licenses as ID from here. Only 22 states have complied with the stricter rules thing, I believe.

I'm going with my passport renewal anyway, so there are no restrictions on where I may want to travel. :shrug:

Edited to add: I just heard they're granting Washington State an additional two years to get into compliance. I'm still going to renew my passport. ;)

Dave

Dave, don't know if you're checking back on this, but we heard that New Mexico is also being granted an extension, but it sounds like it's just for flying. Our state driver's licenses still may not be good for access into some federal sites.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We renewed our kids passports the first day of Christmas break. We went to the passport agency because kids have to be done in person. We got there about 10:30 am and there were only 4 families ahead of us. When we left at about 11:30 the room was completely jam packed with families. I was so glad we got there early.

I filled out the forms online prior to going.

Last year my husband and I simply renewed our passport via US mail. That was really fast and simple.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, don't know if you're checking back on this, but we heard that New Mexico is also being granted an extension, but it sounds like it's just for flying. Our state driver's licenses still may not be good for access into some federal sites.

I don't understand how it can be good for some things, and not for others. How much ID does one truly need? I decided not to hedge my bets, and I renewed my passport anyway. Better to be safe than turned away at the airport. ;)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't understand how it can be good for some things, and not for others. How much ID does one truly need? I decided not to hedge my bets, and I renewed my passport anyway. Better to be safe than turned away at the airport. ;)

Dave

I plan to keep my passport current. Since it is required for foreign travel, and we now have a daughter in school in Canada, I want to be sure we can travel out of the country. :D

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
3 1/2 weeks!

Wow! We renewed our kids's first day of Christmas break and got them back this week. That was only 3 1/2 weeks.

Last edited:

uop1497

Reaction score
Second that you should go ahead and renew it. The reason is that most country's visas are valid for 6 months. They won't stamp a visa in a passport that would expire before the visa.

Jim

I wonder the rule requires passport must be valid for at least 6 months before expired date. Is it counting on the date of departure or the date of return or both

Our passport will expired on 4/1/2017, we plan to travel on 10/15/2016 and come back on 11/5/2016. Will we be O.K with our current passport or we must have it renew.

Does anyone know how long it normally takes to get a new passport. I am asking because we will have an oversea family trip on August 2016 ( 2 weeks long). If our passport will not good for an October 2016 trip, I plan to have it renew (normal process) right after our August trip.

Thank you

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will have to renew our passport this summer as it expires next February 2017. I checked out the online process and wasn't liking it and decided I will make an appt. at our post office when the time comes. Much less of a hassle.

YES. The Post Office renewal process is the best way to go. I suggest using Priority Mail because they supply you with a free cardboard envelope and it is tracked the entire way at no additional charge.

As for an initial (first time) Passport; Many Post Offices can handle the picture taking as well as the initial application process however keep in mind that not all Post Offices are certified to do this. The best thing to do is to contact your local Post Office and they will tell you the nearest location that will do this for you.

taffy19

Reaction score
I wonder the rule requires passport must be valid for at least 6 months before expired date. Is it counting on the date of departure or the date of return or both

Our passport will expired on 4/1/2017, we plan to travel on 10/15/2016 and come back on 11/5/2016. Will we be O.K with our current passport or we must have it renew.

Does anyone know how long it normally takes to get a new passport. I am asking because we will have an oversea family trip on August 2016 ( 2 weeks long). If our passport will not good for an October 2016 trip, I plan to have it renew (normal process) right after our August trip.

Thank you
Exactly and the airline didn't know so we had to delay our trip or pay to expeedite it and it was quite a bit more but I forgot how much. This was for Mexico.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thank you

I think you should renew it after the August trip to be sure. You will have plenty of time without paying extra for expedited service, and you won't risk any delays.

Another TUGger said theirs were returned in 3 1/2 weeks. On the State Dept site, it says to allow 4-6 weeks.

Jim

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently renewed ours. I still like to do a lot of things the old fashion way - with paper :D

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just renewed our US Passports. The process took 2 1/2 weeks from mailing the old ones to receiving the new ones.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just renewed my passport 3 weeks ago

Just renewed our US Passports. The process took 2 1/2 weeks from mailing the old ones to receiving the new ones.

I filled out the paperwork on line, printed it and took it to my local post office (there is one post office in the area that does these things constantly....no appointments - it took about 5 minutes & I had them do my picture because it's easier than worrying if its done correctly) - there was one person just finishing up when I got there and 2 people walked in as I was leaving.

Years ago when we needed a passport QUICKLY for my son (who I forgot to check and his passport was expiring) we raced down to this same post office and they were so reassuring, I expedited and had the passport back in a couple days! This office deserves an award!

This time I got my passport on Friday (3 weeks after submitting) and the original with a hole punched in it back today.

Entire process quick and easy.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What do you pay for passport renewals in the US? In Canada passport renewals went up about 40% a couple of years ago to $120 for 5 years and $160 for a 10 year renewal. The renewal process wasn't sped up that I can recall...and that's progress for you!

US passport renewal costs $110.00 for 10 years. You can also purchase a passport card for $30.00. We haven't had 5 year passports fro several years.

I filled out the application online a few weeks ago. I had no problems at all.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I mentioned above I had sent in my renewal via snail mail. I got the renewed passport within just a few weeks. No hassle at all. I'm not leaving the country anytime soon, but living close to the Canadian border, it could happen. Especially if the elections go as crazy as they might. ;)

Dave

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent in my passport renewal application on Feb. 25 (regular snail mail) after returning from a cruise, and check cleared on March 8. Haven't received passport yet but expect shortly.

I have read that processing times may get longer this year due to RealID implementation.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Commander-in-Chief did it online and we had our Passport back under three(3) weeks.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the new chip passport at TSA? Does their machine just read the chip or do they still open it and use an eyepiece to examine the document?

I just use my Global Entry card and they hardly look at it. Often a TSA person will say something like "welcome to Planet Earth" and snicker.

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
We just received our new passports and it was really a breeze!

I completed the forms online (fillable PDFs) and then printed them. DH took our photos (per the specs). I mailed them around February 17th and we had them back on March 4th.

Frankly, it couldn't have been any easier!

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked this morning, and indications are I should receive my passport around March 22nd.

Update: arrived in mail today.

I sent in my passport renewal application on Feb. 25 (regular snail mail) after returning from a cruise, and check cleared on March 8. Haven't received passport yet but expect shortly.

Last edited: