• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renamed: Not so quiet neighborhoods

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Even though our walk out basement exterior door and windows have alarm protection, I told my husband I want to put a lock on the INDOOR basement door. If somehow someone got into the basement they could come right up the stairs and into our home very easily as there is no lock on it right now.

Added to our to do list.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
In our neighborhood shooting is legal . We have a target area in our back yard. My neighbor has a skeet shooting area at his place. Anyway, it is common in daylight hours to hear guns occasionally. New people to the neighborhood sometimes call the sheriff and a duputy will show up to let us know some one called. Then the deputy usually talks to the caller to tell them we are legal.

Bill

We always heard gun fire where we used to live. Lots of people had large acreage and would hunt, target practice, etc.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
It wasn't named after chickens, was it? I saw a movie about this. ;)

Dave
We're a fur piece from La Grange (ha, haw haw), but we did drive through it on a trip to Festival Hill Institute in Round Top.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Even though our walk out basement exterior door and windows have alarm protection, I told my husband I want to put a lock on the INDOOR basement door. If somehow someone got into the basement they could come right up the stairs and into our home very easily as there is no lock on it right now.

Added to our to do list.

I'd recommend installing a double deadbolt lock on that door. Much harder to break through from either side. Once locked, a key is needed from either side to open it.

Dave

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We play a game around our house of "Gunshot or Fireworks". It's a more popular during the summer when there are more fireworks.
What are the chances that while I am reading this I hear a sound outside -- definitely fireworks. After awhile I go out on my balcony to look. Sure enough. But where, and why? They continue to go off until I finally decide to go in the house and get my camera.

Attachments

• IMG_20200208_211050.jpg
    IMG_20200208_211050.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 7

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'd recommend installing a double deadbolt lock on that door. Much harder to break through from either side. Once locked, a key is needed from either side to open it.

Dave

Yes. Right. Good idea. At the very least a deadbolt. I told my husband the same. At first Ithought maybe just put a chain on it, but then I decided treat it like an exterior door.

Brett

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We moved from the township outside a smaller town in Pennsylvania to a town 12 miles inland as the crow flies from the Wyndham resorts in Pompano Beach. In this part of Florida unless you happen to see a sign you can't tell where one city ends and another one starts. We went from being pretty casual about locking our doors and cars to always keeping our doors and cars locked.

Starting sometime in November until sometime in March we're able to turn our air conditioning off and open the doors and windows. We have pretty secure, mostly walled screened patios front and back with doors that lock. Every once in a while we will hear helicopters making repeated passes over the area. We have no idea if they looking for a vehicle or someone on foot and figure better safe than sorry so close up and lock our sliding doors and front door until they're done.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes. Right. Good idea. At the very least a deadbolt. I told my husband the same. At first Ithought maybe just put a chain on it, but then I decided treat it like an exterior door.

I think if your walk-out basement is the weak spot in security of your house, a double deadbolt lock keeps any break-in downstairs. Yes, they could also break in upstairs, but that door stops them from accessing either floor from the other. A double deadbolt is as simple to install as a regular deadbolt, but gives twice the security.

Dave

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
... lots of people who dont lock their front door. I've never heard a gunshot in my life. Maybe I'm boring...
Canadian winter
- better than a deadbolt - LOL

FYI. : remember how the “ bad guys “ in Home Alone , fell on the slippery iced steps .......

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Added to our to do list.
If the indoor door is hollow core, you might consider replacing it with a solid fire rated door. Putting a deadbolt lock on a hollow core door is like locking a soft top convertible car.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Added to our to do list.
I installed a steel security screen door on the back door. There is no way anyone is getting through it without a grinder or key. The screen door was special order because my wife didn't like the stock screen doors. We use key deadbolt with key on each side. I use the same setup at the cabin and shop.

Bill

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the indoor door is hollow core, you might consider replacing it with a solid fire rated door. Putting a deadbolt lock on a hollow core door is like locking a soft top convertible car.

Good point.

Any lock, deadbolt or otherwise, is only as good as the integrity of the door and the framing.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Good point. I had presumed the door was a fire rated door. The door to my garage is that type.

Dave

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
You can put better locks on your doors but all the robbers have to do is break a window if they really want access. I admit the door with better locks is a deterrent if they are looking for simple access but it is a false sense of security.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can put better locks on your doors but all the robbers have to do is break a window if they really want access. I admit the door with better locks is a deterrent if they are looking for simple access but it is a false sense of security.
Most of the time, intruders are looking for targets of opportunity. Yes, they CAN get in, but if it's too much work they will usually move on.