• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Red Alert for RedWeek?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I am pleased that your sampling of the .000000000000001% of the 8+ BILLION or so websites on the internet is accurate to your satisfaction.

the stats for the only site listed that can provide actual facts to prove those numbers wrong.....are wrong.

so as a gambling man...im going to bet that the numbers for most if not all other sites...are wrong.

or we could go out on a limb and just post that tugbbs.com is the only inaccurately reported website on the internet.

tough choice there =)

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
8 billion...just imagine the database size required to collect, store and update all that information, for each individual site, and present it to a user in a relatively quick fashion.

yea...right.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am pleased that your sampling of the .000000000000001% of the 8+ BILLION or so websites on the internet is accurate to your satisfaction.

the stats for the only site listed that can provide actual facts to prove those numbers wrong.....are wrong.

so as a gambling man...im going to bet that the numbers for most if not all other sites...are wrong.

or we could go out on a limb and just post that tugbbs.com is the only inaccurately reported website on the internet.

tough choice there =)

8 billion...just imagine the database size required to collect, store and update all that information, for each individual site, and present it to a user in a relatively quick fashion.

yea...right.

Well Google puts Quantcast at 872,000,000 hits That's a number so big it almost scares me. Hell, George Bush (both) only have 45,500,000 hits.

They must be doing something right...

P.S.
Here is their White Paper on how they try to capture unique visitors to a site.

Basically they have snuck 1.4 billion cookies (as of June '08) into just about every PC that connects to the Internet - your PC has one. They also have affiliates that supply them with unique hits to bolster their estimate.

Sounds like these folks are serious and have spent years getting ready for this - to dismiss them willy-nilly seems to be unwise. But I don't have a bone in this fight.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well Google puts Quantcast at 872,000,000 hits That's a number so big it almost scares me. Hell, George Bush (both) only have 45,500,000 hits.

And you know that number is accurate because ....???? As nearly as I can tell Perry from this post and others, your basic train of logic is:

"If it seems right to Perry, it must be right. If it doesn't seem right to Perry, it's probably faulty."

You know, that's just not very Perry-suasive.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
And you know that number is accurate because ....???? As nearly as I can tell Perry from this post and others, your basic train of logic is:

"If it seems right to Perry, it must be right. If it doesn't seem right to Perry, it's probably faulty."

You know, that's just not very Perry-suasive.

Good grief - I don't look for conspiracies under every rock. I take Google at it's word.

Feel free to disagree with Google if you want...you have more information than they do?

P.S.
I get a kick out of Tug - present facts and folks argue about them - present rumors and folks elaborate them. It's a real kick.

Last edited:

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Basically they have snuck 1.4 billion cookies (as of June '08) into just about every PC that connects to the Internet - your PC has one.

My PC most certainly does NOT have one. I pay good money to make sure of that.

Just my 2 cents on an issue that I have enjoyed reading about. Thanks for the giggles!

jb

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Basically they have snuck 1.4 billion cookies (as of June '08) into just about every PC that connects to the Internet - your PC has one.

My PC most certainly does NOT have one. I pay good money to make sure of that.

Just my 2 cents on an issue that I have enjoyed reading about. Thanks for the giggles!

jb

I just did a Yahoo cookie scan and sure enough there was Quantserve.com which redirects to QuantCast.com. Zapped it. I do a scan about once a month and I'll be looking for QuantCast

Last edited:

Holly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at YouTube - does it not describe YouTube to the T?

Until something eclipses QantCast I'll defer to their analysis.

Check out www.compete.com

This is what I do for a living, and I am intimately familiar with Quantcast and their methodology. If a site is "quantified", it means that they have put a tag on their site that Quantcast can read. THOSE stats are pretty accurate. Others are just guessing.

Compete uses a panel of 2M in the US...some recruited, some data are purchased through ISPs. They constantly enumerate and weight the data to project to the online population. You can download a toolbar that will analyze sites as you surf as well.

All of the major wireless carriers and handset manufacturers, online travel bookers, financial institutions, and search marketers, pay Compete a lot of money to do deep competitive analytics for them. Compete.com gives a lot of topline information away for free.

Compete is part of TNS Media, the second largest global research firm behind AC Nielsen. They are public on the London Exchange, and have offices in 23 countries. Quantcast is a VC backed startup with some promise. However, the site has to put the tag on for it to work, and many do not want to do that.

Hope that helps.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

P.S.
Here is their White Paper on how they try to capture unique visitors to a site.

Basically they have snuck 1.4 billion cookies (as of June '08) into just about every PC that connects to the Internet - your PC has one. They also have affiliates that supply them with unique hits to bolster their estimate.

Sounds like these folks are serious and have spent years getting ready for this - to dismiss them willy-nilly seems to be unwise. But I don't have a bone in this fight.

This is just laughable at this point, reminds me of a discussion I had awahile back regarding posting a poll about the sun rising in the east.

"snuck 1.4 billion cookies"

you seriously cannot possibly believe this right? That 1.4 billion computers all have a super secret file loaded on them to retrieve this data un-knowingly by said company without 1.4 billion permission slips?

However even accepting this ridiculous statement as fact, there is no "cookie" that can retrieve your gender, wealth, age, political views, etc etc by being loaded on your computer.

What does it do sample your DNA from the mouse?

Hack into your tax software and read last years return?

You are seriously out there on this. so much so the discussion has turned laughable. Ill send you a tin foil hat!

:rofl:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is just laughable at this point, reminds me of a discussion I had awahile back regarding posting a poll about the sun rising in the east.

"snuck 1.4 billion cookies"

you seriously cannot possibly believe this right? That 1.4 billion computers all have a super secret file loaded on them to retrieve this data un-knowingly by said company without 1.4 billion permission slips?

However even accepting this ridiculous statement as fact, there is no "cookie" that can retrieve your gender, wealth, age, political views, etc etc by being loaded on your computer.

What does it do sample your DNA from the mouse?

Hack into your tax software and read last years return?

You are seriously out there on this. so much so the discussion has turned laughable. Ill send you a tin foil hat!

:rofl:

I did a Yahoo Anti-spy and found the cookie placed there by QuantCast - zapped it. Visited Yahoo and this site and the weather channel and the QuantCast cookie is back!

I'm not here to defend QuantCast simply use there free stats which benefit me personally.

If you don't believe them then supply a demonstrated example where they are that far off base. Then I'll put on my aluminum helmet again.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I did in my very first and second posts...but you choose to ignore it because it proves you wrong.

please tell me again how they determine your age, sex, income, etc etc from this magical cookie lol

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did in my very first and second posts...but you choose to ignore it because it proves you wrong.

please tell me again how they determine your age, sex, income, etc etc from this magical cookie lol

I'm assuming that this information is proprietary and protected by NDAs.

Just like II's and RCI's super secret Trading Power formulas - I profit from them many times during the year too yet I don't declare them wrong.

If I can find 10 web sites that are 180 degrees off base then I'll question their results - my 100+ investigations were right on target as far as I can determine; in terms of demographics and traffic. But I've been wrong in the past and probably in the future too.

To summarily dismiss a company who placed 1.4 B cookies out there and sells their services demonstrates to me that ignoring them would be foolish - and I get to benefit from it for free!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Brian - Welcome to Perry's World!!!!

In Perry's World, any facts that are contrary to Perry's opinions are disregarded as irrelevant and unsupported. Conversely, all suppositions that are consistent with Perry's opinions become facts. Because anyone who holds a view that differs from Perry's is clearly unenlightened, in Perry's World the opinions of such people can and should be disregarded.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian - Welcome to Perry's World!!!!

In Perry's World, any facts that are contrary to Perry's opinions are disregarded as irrelevant and unsupported. Conversely, all suppositions that are consistent with Perry's opinions become facts. Because anyone who holds a view that differs from Perry's is clearly unenlightened, in Perry's World the opinions of such people can and should be disregarded.

I'm not sure why you single me out and go out of your way to denigrate me - I'm assuming that you feel better singling out fellow timeshare owners to debase.

You might seek more help than I can give you - just a suggestion.

P.S.
This is just a silly discussion about a web site - I have my opinion and others have theirs.

I see no reason to get all worked up over this web site.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm assuming that this information is proprietary and protected by NDAs.

Just like II's and RCI's super secret Trading Power formulas - I profit from them many times during the year too yet I don't declare them wrong.

If I can find 10 web sites that are 180 degrees off base then I'll question their results - my 100+ investigations were right on target as far as I can determine; in terms of demographics and traffic. But I've been wrong in the past and probably in the future too.

To summarily dismiss a company who placed 1.4 B cookies out there and sells their services demonstrates to me that ignoring them would be foolish - and I get to benefit from it for free!

the foolish part is beliving there are 1.4billion cookies out there sending this information to the company unknowingly to the computer users as I have tried to point out, yet you continue to take it at face value for no apparent reason other than it tells you what you seem to want to hear.

Why you continue to argue this point is beyond me....all I am trying to do is interject some common sense so that others dont take obviously inaccurate information at face value.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you single me out and go out of your way to denigrate me - I'm assuming that you feel better singling out fellow timeshare owners to debase.

I apologize if you feel like I am singling you out, however you are the one who continues to ignore my facts and argue with me over the issue. In my first two replies I didnt post anything more than a simple answer to inform you (and anyone else who might read your post) that the information on that site is EXTREMELY inaccurate.

You continue to walk the line and disagree while arguing your side...yet somehow I am singling you out?

You might seek more help than I can give you - just a suggestion.

Help for me is not required, I used to work in this field prior to taking over. I might know a thing or two. or I could be off my rocker.

However the fact remains that the stats you posted for TUG specifically...are so ridiculously wrong...as to not even warrant further discussion...as well as given the information they claim to gather from a "secret cookie on 1.4billion machines" also makes on question the legitimacy of any information provided there.

P.S.
This is just a silly discussion about a web site - I have my opinion and others have theirs.

I see no reason to get all worked up over this web site.

I would completely agree.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
the foolish part is beliving there are 1.4billion cookies out there sending this information to the company unknowingly to the computer users.

as I have tried to point out, yet you continue to take it at face value for no apparent reason.

Why you continue to argue this point is beyond me....all I am trying to do is interject some common sense so that others dont take obviously inaccurate information at face value.

Well, I'll defer to QuantCast until articles appear that overwhelmingly document their results. That's my viewpoint.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
more power to you...good luck with your plan. (darn we dont have a "cheers beerchug" smiley...ill have to work on that)

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I apologize if you feel like I am singling you out, however you are the one who continues to ignore my facts and argue with me over the issue. In my first two replies I didnt post anything more than a simple answer to inform you (and anyone else who might read your post) that the information on that site is EXTREMELY inaccurate.

You continue to walk the line and disagree while arguing your side...yet somehow I am singling you out?

Help for me is not required, I used to work in this field prior to taking over. I might know a thing or two. or I could be off my rocker.

However the fact remains that the stats you posted for TUG specifically...are so ridiculously wrong...as to not even warrant further discussion...as well as given the information they claim to gather from a "secret cookie on 1.4billion machines" also makes on question the legitimacy of any information provided there.

I would completely agree.

I wasn't referring to you!?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
my apologies then...I interpreted that wrong.

(ill remove that post and your quote if you want)

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did a Yahoo Anti-spy and found the cookie placed there by QuantCast - zapped it. Visited Yahoo and this site and the weather channel and the QuantCast cookie is back!
This tells you only that one of those three sites partners with QuantCast, and so placed a cookie. It doesn't tell you which one, and if sites do not participate, the cookie has no bearing. The cookie can't interpose on your browser's clickstream unless a site your browser visits invokes it in some way.

You might know something about timeshare, Perry, but you don't know squat about the World Wide Web. I can't say anything about QuantCast's results, but I can tell you that this 1.4bn cookies is pretty much meaningless except for the sites that are active partners.

e.bram

Reaction score
HEY, TUGBrian used to be a shrink. A psychiatrist(MD) or just a psychologist.

Anyone know and will tell?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
duty_calls.png