• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recent NCV Sales on Ebay

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are some reports that Marriott is not exercising ROFR right now, due to the glut of units available and inability to sell due to the economy.

Take it for what it's worth (nothing), but remember that the real purpose of ROFR is to get cheap units to Marriott that it can resell and make a huge profit. Given that sales are difficult right now, and cash is a bit tight, Marriott doesn't have much need to swap its cash for units that it can't sell. So, if you want to take the chance of owning a timeshare with high annual fees, and think you won't have any problem meeting the annual obligation as it comes due, now is a good time to buy at good prices without much risk of ROFR being exercised.

I couldn't agree more, Hoc. I am waiting to hear on ROFR for a Marriott unit that I recently "contracted". I am also consistently tracking more units.

Terry

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cost of ownership

It seems impossible to me to be able to make any sense out of the timeshare market during these uncertain times. Does ROFR actually prop up prices and the lack of ROFR make them fall? Do increased maintenance fees lessen the value of a timeshare? With so many people selling to get away from the rising annual fees, how low can prices go? Will the new point system help or hurt Marriott owners?

There are many questions but few certainties. The timeshare market is what it is. The most important question is how does all of this fit into your needs. Market timing is like trying to catch a falling knife. Forget about it. If you can afford to purchase a Marriott timeshare and it fits with your plans, now and in the future, then I think that you should go ahead with a purchase. In this market there is the best selection of resale units that I have seen in years.

With regard to maintenance fees, I think that they are reasonable. Marriott hotel rooms are at least $100-$250 per day. Most timeshare owners recognize that the amenities of timesharing far exceed the value of renting a hotel room. Adoption of a deferred maintenance program would only lead to a lower standard of service and ever lower prices. If you do not use your unit or if you cannot afford the increaso in marintenance fees you should consider selling. Timeharing may not save you any money. It's just another vacation option.