• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rebranding : does it devalue the deeded week HRC properties?

Scavanjer

Reaction score
I see that Hyatt Residence club will be rebranded as Hyatt Vacation Club. To me, the various deeded weeks and points only portfolio purchase programs are already confusing. What do you all think of the rebranding to Hyatt Vacation Club? Do you think this devalues deeded week ownership or doesn't it matter?

I used to have a sales manager that said "where there is confusion, there is opportunity". It certainly seems to me that this the approach with this rebranding effort. Thoughts?

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
From what I gather from some other posts HRC was originally known as HVC, so they are simply returning to the original name. I’m not sure that will make much, if any, difference.

To me the biggest issue is that each resort maintain the standards that were originally set for Hyatt resorts, while managing the maintenance fees at a reasonable level.

Best regards.

Mike

rdc

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would agree with mjm1. Originally called HVC, so don't think that makes much of a difference. The key is they maintain the standard the Hyatt name brand is known for (at reasonable fees). They never were the largest chain, but always know for upscale quality.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Former Hyatt salesperson here.

The reason Hyatt works so well is that it was engineered to keep people from gaming the system. Procrastinators and people who change their minds often don't do well. The various deadlines and rules keep the system flowing smoothly.

The fact that the resorts are often "the only game in town" keep the trading power up.

That being said, nothing positive has happened since Marriott took over.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Marriot , as any corporation does everything for a profit. The name change is for profit, although it escapes me how...perhaps they are bundling HRC and Welk into a profitable business to sell?

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
Marriot , as any corporation does everything for a profit. The name change is for profit, although it escapes me how...perhaps they are bundling HRC and Welk into a profitable business to sell?
IMO, it is an odd arrangement for Marriott to have a branding agreement with a competitor. HRC and Welk, combined, may be big enough to spin off into a separate company.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
IMO, it is an odd arrangement for Marriott to have a branding agreement with a competitor. HRC and Welk, combined, may be big enough to spin off into a separate company.
The overall company of Marriott Vacations Worldwide (VAC) isn't the same as Marriott International (the hotel company). So they aren't really competing in the sense you may be implying. I think at some point we will see Marriott Vacations Worldwide change their name. Kind of like HMSHost (that company that operates a huge number of food and retail in airports and along highways). HMSHost used to be owned by Marriott International many years ago. In 1996 Marriott split into two companies. HMSHost at the time was actually named Host Marriott Services and later changed their name to remove the reference to Marriott.

Today, Marriott Vacations Worldwide simply licenses the names of the brands to be able to market and operate timeshare resorts under those brands.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
THe name change was to better align the two names (Welk and HRC). In the end, it really doesn't change much for the owners. The issue will be for perspective resale buyers to understand if they are buying a HRC property or a former Welk. The former likely having higher resale values.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
It will be interesting to see how the differentiate the the HVC from each other after the rebranding. If it wasn’t confusing enough now Hyatt and Hilton both have HVC acronyms officially or not.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
THe name change was to better align the two names (Welk and HRC). In the end, it really doesn't change much for the owners. The issue will be for perspective resale buyers to understand if they are buying a HRC property or a former Welk. The former likely having higher resale value
My understanding is that Hyatt..no longer sells ownership weeks, only portfolio points...the value of which is another topic. Hyatt IMO actively discourages week ownership.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My understanding is that Hyatt..no longer sells ownership weeks, only portfolio points...the value of which is another topic. Hyatt IMO actively discourages week ownership.
They still do in HI. Not sure about the other nine HPC resorts.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Hyatt though now sells two kinds of points. The Hyatt portfolio points, which is made up of points derived from the legacy Hyatt resorts, then platinum points which are what Welk used to sell.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

They can't call Welk "HRC" because it isn't the same system. And they already have all the trademarks and artwork for HVC lying around because that's what it was called when I was working there.

They're saving money and getting Lawrence Welk's name off the property.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They can't call Welk "HRC" because it isn't the same system. And they already have all the trademarks and artwork for HVC lying around because that's what it was called when I was working there.

Welk name was changed months ago to HVC. How can they not change Welk to HRC because they aren't the same system but yet change HRC to HVC even though HVC isn't the same system either.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
The overall company of Marriott Vacations Worldwide (VAC) isn't the same as Marriott International (the hotel company). So they aren't really competing in the sense you may be implying. I think at some point we will see Marriott Vacations Worldwide change their name. Kind of like HMSHost (that company that operates a huge number of food and retail in airports and along highways). HMSHost used to be owned by Marriott International many years ago. In 1996 Marriott split into two companies. HMSHost at the time was actually named Host Marriott Services and later changed their name to remove the reference to Marriott.

Today, Marriott Vacations Worldwide simply licenses the names of the brands to be able to market and operate timeshare resorts under those brands.
Yes, understood that. And, your suggestion to change the name of the host company from VAC to perhaps Vacations Worldwide, and keeping Marriott Vacations and HVC as subdivisions, makes sense.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Residence Club never really sounded like a vacation resort destination, more like an extended stay hotel like Residence Inn by Marriott.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.

Interestingly, Hyatt has not been added to the name of any of the previous Welk resorts. The HVC branding is in the building and on the employees badges. But, none of the resorts have the Hyatt name attached to them.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interestingly, Hyatt has not been added to the name of any of the previous Welk resorts. The HVC branding is in the building and on the employees badges. But, none of the resorts have the Hyatt name attached to them.
It won’t be until they meet brand standards.

happytotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welks Resort San Diego
Hyatt Carmel Highlands
Late to the conversation, but curious about the Hyatt Residence Club changing its name to HVC? The same name as the rebranded Welks? Has there been mention whether or not HVC points (old Welks) can be used to pick up Hyatt residence Club units? Is Marriott trying to blend their two hyatt systems? I happen to own two HRC deeded diamond weeks and 300,000 Welks (HVC) points. Not a fan of the latter now that it has been bought by Hyatt (Marriott), and love my HRC weeks.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Late to the conversation, but curious about the Hyatt Residence Club changing its name to HVC? The same name as the rebranded Welks? Has there been mention whether or not HVC points (old Welks) can be used to pick up Hyatt residence Club units? Is Marriott trying to blend their two hyatt systems? I happen to own two HRC deeded diamond weeks and 300,000 Welks (HVC) points. Not a fan of the latter now that it has been bought by Hyatt (Marriott), and love my HRC weeks.
So far, no news on any integration between the systems. However, I suspect Marriott Vacations Worldwide is working on something. It could take them years though. They took a long time to finally come up with something to integrate Marriott Vacation Club and Vistana. I suspect the next change they will make will be a recalibration of Welk point allocations. Perhaps a 100 to 1 or whatever number. Then they may later allow some integration where Welk owners can deposit into the HPP program (I suspect there is an exchange company there). This might require some enrollment fee or a new purchase of HPP points. Something will change at some point. They are just getting started.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland