• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ready to buy into HGVC

olindeman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
However it appear to be all over the place in the resale market. In ebay the packages are under 800 or over 6k on the marketplace here it appear to be wildly different. I am looking for 5k to 7k points annual with MF under 1,300 if possible. Willing to hear any advise or if I'm on the right track and the prices are just that random.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Platinum weeks sell for a lot higher than gold, silver or bronze weeks. Bronze and silver are often given away. Gold has gone down tremendously. If you buy from a broker, you'll pay more than you will by bidding on Ebay most of the time. Some of the ebay sellers are dishonest.

You may sometimes see an overly priced contract (overpriced by a lot) because the seller still owes on their loan and the contract cannot be transferred without paying off the loan.

Right now, prices are extremely low. That may be due to the fact that Hilton charges a lot for everything and they raise their fees each year by much more than inflation. Be sure to read all of the threads here and if you are buying to stay in HGVC, you will enjoy your membership. If you are buying to trade in RCI, convert to hotel points, book cruises, etc, you will paying way too much money.

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
As presley said the prices have trended lower in the last year. I think that's because HGVC is not ROFR much since they are bringing so much new inventory on line.

What determines the price is. Is home week an advantage (Kalia & Rainbow Tower in Waikiki) and then what's the MF/point the lower that number the higher the purchase price you are going to pay.

You will probably get more input if a moderator moves this thread to the HGVC forum.

Ian

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How many points do you actually plan on using a year? If you don't know, plan the next 2 years of travel and average that and advise? Also, do you need home week advantage somewhere? ( for example, some weeks in Hawaii or miami or florida gulf Coast maybe impossible to get without it)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
I just made my first HGVC purchase, and made some of the same calculations that you're making.

If you're torn between 5,000 points and 7,000 points, but you think that 5K might work for you, you'd be much better off looking for a 4800 point package, somewhere, than a 5,000 point package. Your annual membership fee will be much higher for a 2BR Gold, than for a 1BR Platinum week, and your cost to buy in won't necessarily be that much higher. Between 5000 points (2BR Gold) and 7000 points (2BR Platinum), the membership fee will be identical at the same property, and you're getting 2000 fewer points.

I got a 4800 point package (1BR Platinum at Sea World) on eBay for $2500, and it passed First Refusal. I was a little nervous about having my first ever purchase be on eBay, but the price was lower than any listing I saw from a real estate agent for similar packages. Before making my offer, I came here, and did a search on the name of the company running the auction, their eBay user name of the seller, as well as the closing company they use. There were positive comments about all of them from other Tuggers, so I felt pretty secure placing that bid. The transfer isn't complete, yet, but so far, everything has gone smoothly, and I've had very good communication from the seller, and from the closing company.

As far as membership fees, for 4800 point packages, the three lowest properties for 2015 were the Boulevard/Strip location, the Vegas Paradise/Karen location, and Sea World. For 7000 point packages, the lowest membership fees are Boulevard/Strip, then Paradise/Karen, and then Flamingo. Some of the other Orlando properties have membership fees that are lower than your budget, too, but since points are points, I'd aim for the lowest membership fee that you can get at the best buy-in price.